Ancient Secrets: Prepare

Ancient Secrets: Prepare

A Story by Kerunai
"

Second part in the series.

"

I lowered my plasma pistol with a sigh of relief, as well as regret. The body before me dropped onto the metal floor with a meaty thunk. Holstering my weapon to it’s place on my hip, I then press the small button on the side of my HUD at my wrist. Lights flicker into my field of vision, thanks to the cables connecting my HUD to my mask, and I read the runes that display across my field of sight. The heat signatures of my comrades had turned cold. Confirmation that I am now alone. The world around me is still in a chaotic spin as I block out the noise of the alarm sirens and the strobing red warning lights. My mind goes from survival mode into military mode. 

Glancing around the small room I take in my surroundings. The gruesome view before me is that of the bloodshed of two fallen soldiers. Pools of blood surrounded their lifeless husks, the only wounds having been self afflicted, other than the one shot of super heated plasma into the cranium of my captain. Something had made these soldiers go insane, and that something could very well be here with me still, somewhere on this ship. The curved metal of the bridge led into a large wide panel of connected screens that displayed the view of the outside. There was nothing as far as the eye could see. But drifting through space was not something I had the luxury of. 

Power was the immediate necessity. There were three control boards on the bridge. One being connected to the captain’s chair. I walked up to the throne-like structure and sat down, moving my tail so that it rested beside me. Looking down at the keys on the armrests, I entered the sequence that would bring the main power to life. As the sequence finished, the main lights flickered to life, drowning out the darkness and silencing the alarms. What was needed now was a diagnostic scan. I had to move to my usual seat, firing up the main panel and entering in the code that would run the full diagnostics of the ship. The four lights on the corners of the panels lit up a brilliant blue, bringing  up a holographic image of the external diagram of the ship. The small scouting vessel had no major damage to the outside, thank the emperor. I used my hands to control the image, turning it this way and that to ensure the hull was indeed intact. Zooming in on the underside revealed that there was a small breech where the connecting rods that engaged the hyper-drive had been torn into. My first assumption being that it was an asteroid of some sort, but upon further examination, I couldn’t be sure. It seemed too precise. 

My fingers dropped to the controls and I keyed a sequence that took away the outer shell of the holographic ship. The internal scan lit up with more red in the area of the navigation complex in the main power supply. The core of the ship seemed to be unscathed, but there was enough damage that anything more than basic nav-controls would be out of the question. Voice commands were down as well. I took the hologram in my hand and crushed it, making it disappear. First things first then. I had to chart out a course, send the proximity warnings to my HUD and put my fellow soldiers into a cryo-pod until we were back to Doosara, our home. 

I found myself once more moving to the navigation controls, bringing up the holo-star map. I had to manually chart a course for the home world, telling the computer to ping a proximity warning to my HUD if the ship entered within a certain parameter of any solid object. Once this was finished, I set the controls to auto-pilot and proceeded to move towards the bodies of my comrades. I hefted the torso of the captain and half dragged, half carried, his body down the short, narrow corridor. I pressed my hand to the wall near the door that led into the medical bay. The doors slid into the wall on their mechanical pulls with a low screech of metal on metal. Inside the still pristine medical bay I placed the body I had been carrying onto the solid metal gurney in the far side of the room. 

The wall to the right had four cryo-pods, meant for sustaining life if there was a dire wound that needed more than what our on-board medical could provide. I dialed into the main power and started the process of preparing the pods for the long journey ahead. I hefted the body and placed it into the pod as best as I could, closing the three eyelids and whispering a short warrior’s creed. Once I closed the hatch and keyed in the initiation sequence, the body instantly iced over, the glass forming icy crystals that marred the image of the Draqu warrior inside. Twice more I repeated this process for my fallen fellows. 

I looked at the three iced over pods, and felt my resolve slipping away from me. I could feel my blood boiling underneath my skin, the rage that threatened to overtake me. With rushed steps I brought myself below deck to the cargo-hold. The metal crate that carried minerals found during our scouting mission was exactly what I was looking for. I took a small metal rod from my belt loop and held it in front of me. Pressing my index tip to the upper portion, initiating the bio-unlock that elongated the rod into my prized staff. I let the rage overtake me. My muscles tensed and my heart rate quickened as my vision faded to red. I danced with myself in the cargo hold, each swing sending a shock of pain through my system as metal connected with metal. I knew no damage would incur, so I took out every bit of rage I felt on the inside and poured it into my arms, willing myself to be strong enough to break through the metal crate in front of me as if it were the unseen enemy that took hold of the minds of my fellow crew members. It felt like mere moments had passed when my rage fueled vision began to fade, and I regained my composure. There were numerous dents all around the crate now, some deeper than others. My breathing was heavy, my arms so weak now that my staff fell from my grasp, clanking onto the floor and returning to it’s pocket sized form. I collapsed onto my knees, my body drained of it’s anger. I felt numb. Tears welled in my eyes and though I knew my father would call me weak, I wept. My fists pounded against the floor as I bent over, my head resting against the cold metal in a state of utter defeat. Clenching my fists I gave in to the beast within, and roared with a fierceness that shook me to my core. 

© 2016 Kerunai


Author's Note

Kerunai
Please ignote structure as I am stil trying to figure out why it doesnt hold when I copy it from my word program into the text box..

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
Added on September 17, 2016
Last Updated on September 17, 2016
Tags: space, lizzard, man, reptile, alien, fish, dragon, draqu, science, fiction, sci-fi, worlds, planet, travel, secrets, ancient, guns, ship, spaceship

Author

Kerunai
Kerunai

About
I love to write, and I am learning to edit. So please, feel free to give crit! All cover art has been done by: http://zauberlich.deviantart.com/gallery/ He accepts all sorts of commissions so please c.. more..

Writing
I am a Hunter! I am a Hunter!

A Story by Kerunai