Anofria

Anofria

A Poem by Kevin Anthony
"

A deeply personal piece.

"
My grandfather is the guardian of my child now in a place where I cannot enter and where I may never enter.
"My father walked this earth for seventy-four years. Your baby was only a hope."
It's funny how two losses, head-to-head, can be distilled down in two devastating sentences. A miscarriage of communication as well as life. A miscarriage of love.
A weekend of pain and fear and blood unravelling in a sad, inert little body that I thought was beautiful, and yet I couldn't kiss it. I remember vividly the noise of spattering and the damp splats of crying flesh on the bed-pan, the alarming redness.
I remember, once, I felt faint.
We did not make love for a long time after that. She claimed months later, amid a flood of tears and mucus, that she had felt our baby's heartbeat stop between her thighs. I was not present in that moment. She is grateful I wasn't.
My grandfather walked this earth for seventy-four years. My baby was only a hope.
I was able to kiss my grandfather's face but not my child's.

© 2015 Kevin Anthony


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I hope writing helps
Very touching piece

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
1 Review
Added on August 9, 2015
Last Updated on August 9, 2015

Author

Kevin Anthony
Kevin Anthony

Cork, Ireland



About
I'm currently 18 years old and a student. I love reading and writing, it's been my passion since early childhood. While writing is for now merely a serious hobby, I've always been drawn to it as a p.. more..

Writing