ACT 8 - Conversation beats Confrontation, Hands Down

ACT 8 - Conversation beats Confrontation, Hands Down

A Chapter by Kevin Sheen Tiu
"

Chapter 8

"
I know what I said about me using my gun rather than my mouth, but seriously, AS IF YOU DUMBASS!!!


Grandma summoned Kazimir and I to the drawing room one morning, for the  reason that she's got some news for the two of us.

"I have hired two Asian people: a Japanese young woman and a Filipino young man, to teach you how to dance for my upcoming Late Night Dance Party next week," and so she said. "We've discussed the ways they must teach you and make you learn... my waltz."  By next week, she actually meant in a few days.

I looked at the two visitors. Hmm, the Japanese girl wearing a black kimono (where did she come from, the funeral?) and the Filipino guy with strangely colored black hair with shades of red (what the hell is he, a gangster?). I'm kind of weirded out by these two, and I didn't really listen to grandma's continuous chit-chats; so I'll be leaving my task to that Japanese girl.

As the four of us headed to the dance room, and grandma left us, I went to Kazimir and said, "I think I'll pass... I'm not really good at dancing..."

He looked at me like a dog and replied, "Are you sure?" I nodded.

I left the room and went upstairs to get my rifle, and then got back down to the front porch.

"Geez, training is way better than dancing silly." I loaded my rifle and began targeting a statue. I've chosen one to hit, but when I was about to pull the trigger, a very annoying person disturbed me.

"Hi there!" I looked back. It's the Japanese.

I waved my hand. "Hey," I said without any emotions. 

She bowed, "My name is Mieko Takeda. It's very nice to meet you, milady!"

"Yeah, sure... I'm Vera Wolff-" and before I could continue, she explained it all to me.

"The best sniper in the world and heiress to the family throne!" She smiled. No way, girl... She's pissing me off. She gives me the creeps.

"How old are you, Mieko?"

"I'm 24." Gah-! OLDER?! "You, milady?"

"22," but instead of acting like a shy girl, I decided to go back to my position I had a while ago.

"Milady, what are you doing?"

"Sniping, can't you see?"

"Oh, I was hoping if we could begin our tutorial now... And-" I cut her off by shooting my target. BABAM, HEADSHOT, nyahahaha!!!

When I looked back at her though, she was flat on the ground, covering her ears. "Are you alright?" I asked, hoping she didn't faint.

She looked up at me and took my hand. "I'm so sorry, milady... It's just that..."

"You're scared of guns, aren't you?" I smirked. Get away from my sight, or else I'll shoot you.  She shrugged her shoulders and acted cute. GRAAH!!! GET IT! JUST GET!!!

"Hey you guys!" I looked at the person coming to us. Ugh, it's the other one, the Filipino boy. But he's coming with Kazimir!

"Greetings!" He offered his hand. "I am Mike Cruz, and I shall be your instructor, milady!" My eyes widened. Oh. That's right. A couple of the same gender shouldn't practice like this, so it should be of the opposite. Then... Kazimir will go with Mieko?

"Komusta, I'm Vera Wolff." I looked at the girl who's now approaching Kazimir and grabbed his arm, acting cute to bring him to practice. GRRR.... YOU WANT A FIGHT, DO YOU, GIRLY?! DON'T YOU TOUCH HIM!!! "Kazimir!" They stopped walking and Kazimir looked at me. "I'll go with you." I ran to them and pulled Kazimir away from the girl, saying, "I'm taking him with me, thank you very much!" and we both ran inside, leaving the visitors out.

+---000---+

We went to the dance room, and waited for the instructors to come. When they did, we first had warm ups, then did the gig.

"Shall we begin our dance?" Mike started the music. The first time I heard it, it was so lame. I couldn't think of any moves to dance with this. This would be so freakin' hard.

First, they taught us the basics - the steps on where to place the foot and how to move them and where to place them in each ones, twos, and threes.

"Give me your hand, my dearest Vera," Mike said, trying to ask for it, when he's actually trying to grab my hand when I refused to dance with him.

"You'll do when you get my foot you jailhouse jellyfish!" I'd smack him off my face. I tried to escape his grasp. He's pissing me off, dude. (-___-)

"You better mind your foot, Vera," Kazimir whispered to me when Mike was able to pull me to dance. I raised a brow at him.

"And mind your business, Kazimir,"I answered back. Why the heck does everyone have to bother me just to get me to dance? I was more concerned about my foot, so I stepped on Mike's foot all the time, and all I could say was "Sorry!" with a smile. There are no accidents after all, right? 

Second, they taught us how to alternate our positions (literally changing partners) as like the "traditional way" my grandma told them. She said that if the boy or girl is not interested in his or her partner, then he or she should change. Huh, how dumb.
Third was a so-called "XOXO". WHAT THE HECK IS THAT?!

And lastly, the bow. Women must curtsy, and the men take their hats off and do a simple bow with one hand on the chest.

There may only be four steps in the procedure of learning how to do the waltz, but dude, it took us the whole day!!! Kazimir wasn't really having that much trouble with Mieko, but I was having much trouble with Mike, whose toes are now probably swollen. Either my toe or my heel would hit his foot, and gob, I was wearing high-heel boots. I'm lucky he's patient...

"Okay! You did a great job!" Someone opened the door and came in, clapping her hands. It was my grandma.

"You've been watching us?" I questioned her. What the hell, man?!

"Well of course, dearest! I must observe how you walk and talk and kiss and hug! Teehee!" She pinched my cheeks. "Now, dearest, you better try harder next time, okay?" She laughed.

Great. Now I feel embarrassed... (-___-) "I'm gonna have to, grandma." I winked with my tongue out and did a peace sign. Next thing you know I'll be doing rock n' roll.

After practice, grandma invited us to dinner, INCLUDING THE VISITORS.

We all sat on our usual places, except for a new circular table placed beside us, where Mieko and Mike were designated. Grandma arranged it especially for them, tsk...

We're having cucumber salad with tofu feta; oven-fried chicken fingers; and seafood thermidor. And as usual, I ordered my Earl Grey tea as Kazimir ordered black coffee. 

"So then, Vera, learning how to dance now, huh, ahahaha!" My dad started the conversation with a laugh which ticked me off. Just because I don't know how to dance he'd be teasing me already!

"What about you, Edgar? How did your dancing go?" The other woman followed and asked.

Kazimir and I looked at each other and smiled. "We're fine," he said.

"Dancing is not my style," I said and looked at my dad, frowning. Oh he knows I know he knows I don't know how to dance.

"Vera, c'mon, lift your spirit up! I know you can do it with just a little bit of practice!" The other woman reached for my hand, but I pulled away before she touched me.

"Thanks, but no thanks."

"Remember everyone," my grandma began to say, "The party is in four days. I hope we would all be ready by that time."

"But why hold a party when there's a competition, grandma?" I asked her. She's still making these things even though there's a contest that must occur. Why did I come anyways?

"Don't fret, dear," she said, smiling at me. "This shall be another opportunity for a family gathering. I want all of us to enjoy what I have left before I let this all go..."

 Let it all go? What does she mean by that? Is she perhaps...? "Anyways," she continued, "Miss Mieko and Mister Mike shall be responsible of your dancing skills. They'll do anything and everything just to get you to dance." WHAT? ARE YOU SERIOUS, MAN?! "Okay then, let's eat!"

Argh, this is so frustrating! Maybe Kazimir won't be my partner in the dance... Maybe he'll be partnered with that Mieko girl! Oh gob, what should I do?


+---000---+

Midnight. It seems all of them are asleep.
I snuck out from my bedroom bringing my Ipod and .50 calibre sniper rifle and headed to the backyard, wearing only my negligee and a white trench coat and my hair let down.
I climbed up to a branch of the cherry tree, listening to Heart Attack. I hoped to get some peace around before the big party.

The garden at night felt very nostalgic. With only little lamplights turned on, the sky was of the darkest blue with the full moon, and the chilly wind blowing against my skin. I felt as if I was home... Well, might as well just call this place home anyways. Staying like this, though, made me think about the bond Kazimir and I had once again.
 
I could hear the wind howling in my ears, and it was just scaring the crap out of me.

What's wrong now, Vera? Thinking about your relationship with your older brother again?

I looked through the scope of my rifle and moved it around the garden, observing everything. This way I'd get distracted from my evil thoughts. Each time we made out, I'd always think about it, wondering if ever someone saw us like that, whatever's gonna happen? I swear they'd definitely freak out.

Recalling what my mom had said when we chatted on the phone, these sentences popped into my head: "Conversation beats confrontation, baby... No need to rush. It's better to talk about the way you feel to them after the competition, because if you try to think about it now, you'll only be forced to use your physical strength instead of just talking about it, okay? I trust you, baby."

Oh mom. You don't know how futile it is to just converse about such peculiar things. But... I'll try, mom. I'll try.

I texted my mom good night and told her I loved her and I missed her. 

Since I got bored after a little while, I decided to go back to the house.

Going halfway down the tree, I heard footsteps coming my way, and they were coming fast. I couldn't hold my gun because I was hanging on a branch, and it might make me fall.

"Damn!" I'm scared... What's gonna happen to me?! I closed my eyes and heard the footsteps stop below me. I just couldn't open my eyes... 

A very cold hand brushed through my legs, and it grabbed my foot! "WAAHH!!!" I shouted so loudly, I hope the ghost dispersed!

A very familiar voice called my name. I looked down at him. "Kazimir!" Feeling relieved that the ghost wasn't real, I accidentally let go of my grip on the branch, and of course... I fell! "Gyaah!!!" I yelled in panic. Luckily Kazimir caught me, but he also fell on the ground because I was too heavy with my gun.

"Are you alright?!" I helped him up.

"What are you doing here in the middle of the night?"

We sat beside each other on the bench. I put my gun beside me as Kazimir inspected my hands and legs if there were any bruises. "Kazimir, I'm fine. Don't worry about your strong little sister over here!" I joked around, slipping my tongue out. He responded by pinching my cheeks, "GAH, what are you doing?!" I shrieked.

"Just talk to me, Vera. Is something troubling you? Could it be the dance?"

Yes? No? I don't know!

"No. What about you? Are you troubled by the dance?" I tried to reiterate what he said. Now he pinched my nose!

"That's not it, you dingdong." I swear he's laughing. 

"Okay okay, fine!! Something's bothering me, but it's not about the dance..." I gulped, nervous at what I was about to explain to him.

"Is it what I'm also thinking about?" Surprised by what he said, I nodded.

"Kazimir... It feels awkward." My face just couldn't be drawn. Deep in my gut I just knew something was wrong, and it was very clear. I couldn't be brought on by this anymore.

 He pressed his palms on his knees. "You're my first woman, but you're actually my little sister... Who would've thought that something like this would happen to us?"

I nodded. "I wish I had known before all of this happened. I wish I already knew that I had an older brother, and that it was you." I covered my eyes, not wanting the man beside me to see what I look like when in despair. "The competition... Grandma keeps on distracting us with her family gatherings. But I feel like I want to focus more on them than on the contest, because you're my enemy, Kazimir, and... I'm gonna have to kill you in the future, but I don't want to and I can't!" I looked at him. Whatever I want to say, I'll say it. I don't want to get troubled by my fear! I want to destroy everything because of  this stupid competition! 

I was surprised when he suddenly kisses me. "You're really nice, Vera," he said, and kissed me again. I had to feel happy about what he was doing, but I just couldn't. Instead, it hurt.
In my mind, I wanted to break up with him, 'cuz I could no longer stand the pressure. I wanted to tell him that we just had to separate, but I didn't want that to happen either. My real wish is to stay close to him and be together with him always. I wish I had the courage to do it, but I just couldn't... Especially to the man I have felt deeply in love for the first time in my entire life.

And this made me thought... Despite all of our circumstances, the competition still has to go on. I'll leave all of that to fate. But first, I gotta make the dance.


© 2018 Kevin Sheen Tiu


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

58 Views
Added on May 11, 2018
Last Updated on May 11, 2018
Tags: romance, confession, love, comedy, action, serious, adventure


Author

Kevin Sheen Tiu
Kevin Sheen Tiu

Philippines



About
I'm Kevin Sheen Tiu - a used-to-be passionate writer who's now stressed about college. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Kevin Sheen Tiu