I am a Joker

I am a Joker

A Story by Khyati

I was siting in front of a mirror; a mirror that promised to show one the real self. I touched my reflection in the mirror as if I were feeling a whole new person in front of me. I kept on staring at  myself expressionlessly. The mirror I was confronting never lied and now it was saying hat I looked like a joker. 
A tear dripped down my cheek as my eyes had started overflowing. The silent teardrop ran down my cheek but I kept on looking at the mirror. It was difficult and painful to hide my grief. I blinked at the person in the mirror, but didn't speak. I was sensing the feelings of that person. All the agony, perplexity, helplessness, we had faced it together. No one, but we understood each other's emotions. Moreover, the person had just cried with me. A soft thud startled me and I hurried to make up my face and remove all trace of that tear. The tear had revealed a portion of the real me. It had washed off the fakes I had put up on my face and I had to revert back to my former appearance before someone could discover what I felt. I did my make-up and looked towards the mirror once more. with hopeful eyes. It still said that I resembled a joker.
The pain was unbearable.There was no gentle way to withdraw me from that spot. I was doomed to fight it alone. There was no one to stand up for me. I was pricked by each thought of mine and so, I felt that my own mind was against me.
I continued to look at myself. I took my forefinger and thumb to stretch my lips into a pretentious smile. They went back to what they looked like before, the moment that external force didn't help them. I had to faked a smile in front of everyone. I couldn't go around with a face exhibiting my agony. I gathered the little amount of fighting spirit left in the corner of my heart and fake a smile yet again. It was happening! I could do it! Even when I smiled without a heart, the honest mirror snickered at me and called me a joker.
I was trying my best to conceal my pain for some time and to pretend to be elated. I was trying hard,and I was finally doing it!
All of a sudden, I heard my name being called out. "Coming!" I answered and rapidly consoled myself. The truth was no one would like me if I were sad. I had to be full of glee to make others glad. No one cared what was in my heart, I knew. All they wanted me to do was to fool around with a grin and make others happy.
"And, now, we present to you" I heard a voice on the microphone from outside "A joker!"
With another made-up smile, I put on my red round nose and heard the mirror calling me a joker yet again. After agreeing with the mirror, I rushed out for the show with my fake smile still on.

© 2014 Khyati


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I have to agree with RAOrourke. In some form or fashion we all hide behind our own little masks. I look in the mirror and don't recognize the old man starring back at me.
I think you've skillfully touched on an emotional thread that hits us all. I must admit, this was more than I expected.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Khyati

9 Years Ago

:) Thank you soooo much :)



Reviews

I have to agree with RAOrourke. In some form or fashion we all hide behind our own little masks. I look in the mirror and don't recognize the old man starring back at me.
I think you've skillfully touched on an emotional thread that hits us all. I must admit, this was more than I expected.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Khyati

9 Years Ago

:) Thank you soooo much :)
I really like this story. minor errors that did not deter me from reading on. I admit I somehow relate to this :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Khyati

9 Years Ago

:) Thanks so much. I will be so pleased, sir, if you could inbox me the errors. Thanks again..
Woody

9 Years Ago

with pleasure :)
Khyati

9 Years Ago

Aw! Thanks, tonnes!
Let me start out saying this short story was filled very vivid emotions and descriptions that really keeps the reader engaged in your story. I found some very minor issues, for flow, grammar, etc. But overall I think this had a wonderful depth to the writing and was great!

I kept on staring myself expressionlessly...I kept on staring at myself expressionlessly.

The mirror I was confronting never lied and now it was saying hat I looked like a joker....The mirror I was confronting never lied and now it was saying that....

I dripped a tear as my eyes had started overflowing...you always want to remove had when you can..I dripped a tear as my eyes started overflowing...or as my eyes started to overflow.

It was difficult to hide my grief and painful too...and it was painful too, or It was difficult to hide my grief and pain.

Each agony, perplexity, helplessness, we both had faced it together. I don't think you need Each here.

corner of my heart and fake a smile yet again...and faked a smile yet again.

All they wanted me to do fool around with a grin and make others happy...this sentence read awkwardly...I would try an rework it. It looks like it is already missing with a grin...


Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Khyati

9 Years Ago

Thanks for taking the time out to read my write-up :) I will surly correct these errors .....
Another very different story. Full of several emotions and expressed very well. Very well done!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Khyati

9 Years Ago

thanks. :) tonnes
Kasey Miriam

9 Years Ago

You're very welcome!
This story was a little weird for me seeing as I am terrified of clowns.. but good all in all

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Khyati

9 Years Ago

I am sorry for that, but thanks anyway...
Ena Lona Kendra

9 Years Ago

lol it is fine.
Khyati

9 Years Ago

:) .......
overflowing with emotions. a different and entertaining piece. good work.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Khyati

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much for always being so encouraging. :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

283 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 6, 2014
Last Updated on December 10, 2014

Author

Khyati
Khyati

India



About
An aspiring writer. more..

Writing