In which school becomes a circus (part two)

In which school becomes a circus (part two)

A Chapter by Khyrro

Reed slipped into the large room. It had wide steps gradually going up for the chairs to be put upon. His bag was sloppily slung over his shoulder though one strap still hug unattached to a single part of his body.
"Hello Reed." Mr. Archer greeted him with a cheerful smile that said 'Oh lucky you to be in my class. Take a seat and lets the craziness begin!' "Hey Mr. Archer." he replied with a smirk.
"Hey Reed?" he heard the teacher call just before Reed began to search for a good seat. 
"Yeah?" he replied, turning around in one quick motion.
"Do you know where you fit in now?" Mr. Archer asked, his eyes curious, though his voice had a soft layer of you-getting-my-joke? in it.
Reed sighed and shook his head. He was one of the odd boys who had a large range and could fit the the tenor section just as well as the bass section. Darn you puberty he thought before sitting on a chair right in the middle of the tenors and basses.
"Still can't decide?" James teased his brother as he sat to right right behind him in the tenor section.
Quickly he saw Alice step in. I wonder what she is.... though from what I've heard she's a second soprano.

"Do..." the students started singing as Mr. Archer looked at them, fist held up, the hand symbol for do. "Re...." they kept singing. Hand opened and pointed up now as students began to slowly join with Mr. Archer in the hand symbols.
They kept going going, up and down, making a spoken tune that made no sense to them. 
"Before we start singing I want to tell you about a sit that'll help you practice. It's called superlyrics.com. Warning when you go onto the site in the library it'll say that it's porn. Trust me it's not porn." he stopped to let him, and all the students to laugh.
"I know what your thinking 'Mr. Archer you perv! Why are you sending us to a porn site!'" this he said in a high pitched voice, like a little girl's as Mr. Archer was famous for his quirky falsetto. "Its not porn no matter what the school says.
Suddenly the door swung open to reveal a late freshman who started to walk over to her seat in the opposite side of the room. 
In the same surprising way Mr. Archer started to scream at her, arms held up to the sky dramatically "IT'S NOT PORN! IT'S NOT PORN!" The girl just stared at him like he was a complete lunatic, which of course he was..... and he was obviously proud of it. 
"Sorry" he said to the girl who was still a bit shocked by Mr. Archer's random outburst. "I don't want to be remembered as the teacher who went 'IT'S NOT PORN!' Something like that already happened." he paused to grin happily and went on to step behind a large piano.
"Pick up Abendlied guys!" Reed heard as he bent down to get his sheet music. Which section should I pick? he wondered though gladly Mr. Archer made the choice for him.
"Reed how about you go to bass on this song. One of our loudest bass singers isn't here today and I'm sure you can cover up for him." he smiled and Reed felt his soft gaze on his shoulders as he Reed nodded.
"Alright start on the beginning. Lets see if you can actually sing the entire song this time!" Mr. Archer smiled. And so they began.
Blieb bei uns....
Denn es will Abead Werden....
Bleib bei uns, denn es will Abead, Abead Wer. Den....
Denn es will Abead. Werden.....

The chorus rose steadily in volume as their confidence grew. Even Reed himself grew in confidence as he kept singing. Mr. Archer knew that he wasn't good with singing by his own. That must have been why he wanted me to cover up for the missing bass, he wanted to hear me sing loudly...

He listened carefully to the notes that he was singing, if he was gonna sing loudly then he had to sing perfectly. It was the low notes that troubled him. It wasn't that he couldn't reach them it was that he nearly always sung off. Either too low or too high.

  BREEP!  The bell rang and signaled that it was time to leave. "If you want to join the after school chorus come by during lunch or after school!" he shouted at the leaving students whose minds were elsewhere. Reed heard it, but joining meant trying out, singing solo in front of the old members who had already tried out the year prior.

On his way to lunch he pondered over whether or not he should just suck up his nervousness or try-out. The after school choir was really the only reason most kids came to the school. They were famous. They had chances to go to other countries and sing for money, or little poor kids. They did extra concerts every where. All it took was for Reed to stop being so worried. Yet he couldn't imagine facing rejection.

It was a hard choice really. He knew James would beg him to join, so would all of his friends, but when it came to Reed, well it was the trying-out thing that worried him. Or the chance that Mr. Archer liked him so much that he'd give him a solo, then what would he do?

"Pasta please." he requested and watched silently as the server quickly put three large spoonfuls of pasta onto a paper plate and handed it to him "Thanks" he nodded and went on to get a drink.

Smoothie he thought and shrugged to himself as he reached out to grasp the icy cold drink. 

"Thats $6.00" the cashier reported though Reed already had the money out and was patiently waiting for her to accept it. "Thank you" she nodded before turning to the next person in line.

"Reed!" he heard Jordan call and turned to see his friend wave a fat french fry in the air like it was a flag only to be snatched by Freddy who greedily ate it.

"Hey guys." Reed greeted them although seeing their faces he knew what they were thinking.

"Alice!" they called to her while he smacked his forehead with the palm of his hand. "Please don't tell me you brought her into your weirdness."

"Oh we did." Jordan grinned as she sat next to Reed.

"So to more important thing...Are you two trying out for the after school chorus?!" Freddy looked at them, his face was twisted into an odd form of pleading. His gaze was on the freshman with pleading, nearly sad eyes. 

"Yeah I'll try-out." Alice nodded with a smile. Now all eyes were on him as he slipped lower and lower into his seat.

"Reed....." Jordan said in a creepy voice, finger tapping on the table like a mad scientist about to do an amazing experiment.

"Umm.... I don't know...." he admitted knowing that it was a bad think to lie to the two brothers. He was sure that they'd find out the truth via James anyway.

"Come on. You have a great voice." Great now Alice joined in....

"Fine, fine! I'll audition!" he sighed, what have I done?

"Yay!" they Jordan squealed and high fived everyone, even Reed with a bit of force.

"How about you two? I heard you auditioned as a duet last year. Gonna do it again?" Reed asked and laughed as he was returned with an enthusiastic.

"Heck yeah! We're gonna do so much better than Blaise and Amber! You know they're gonna audition too as a duet." The grinned playfully, their eyes twinkling in excitement.

"We're going to Kenya this year! Should be awesome!" Freddy smiled and took a piece of pasta from Reed as he started eating.

"Wait what?" Alice looked confused at the word 'Kenya'.

"Every year the after school chorus members have the chance to travel to a different country and sing for little poor children." Reed explained through a mouthful of pasta.

"Oh that's cool" she nodded and started eating her own plateful of pasta.

Of course Freddy muttered "Awaaa" and grinned at all of them proud of his beautiful sound. Upon receiving weird looks from Reed and Alice he smiled and said "It's a peacock mating call... awaa!"

"Seriously? We're onto peacocks now? Next thing I know its gonna be a chihuahua" he sighed.

"Arooof!" Freddy barked. "Your welcome." Why did I say that?  

"Thats a good boy!" Jordan grinned and started petting Freddy's head, who in turn licked his arm.

"Hey! No licking! Bad dog!" Jordan said in a high pitched squeal and yanked his arm away from Freddy's head, cradling it in front of his chest.

Reed quit resisting the urge to laugh and let himself softly chuckle at his friends' weirdness.

Suddenly Jordan stood up dramatically on the table and started singing.

JORDAN:
Underneath these stairs
I hear the sneers and feel glares of
my cousin, my uncle and my aunt.

Can't believe how cruel they are
and it stings my lighting scar
to know that they'll never ever give me what I want.

I know I don't deserve these
stupid rules made by the Dursleys
here on Privet drive.

Can't take all of these muggles,
but despite all of my struggles,
I'm still alive.

Reed laughed as he recognized the song. If Jordan's gonna sing it well then I'll have to sing too. It'll be... practice for my audition.

Im sick of summer and this waiting around.
Man, its September, and Im skipping this town
Hey Its no mystery, theres nothing here for me now

I gotta get back to Hogwarts,
I gotta get back to school.
Gotta get myself to Hogwarts,
where everybody knows I'm cool.

Back to wizards and witches, and magical beasts,
to goblins and ghosts and to magical feasts.
Its all that I love, and it's all that I need.
HOGWARTS, HOGWARTS, I think I'm going back---

I'll see my friends, gonna laugh 'til we cry
take my Firebolt, gonna take to the sky
NO WAY this year anyone's gonna die, and it's gonna be totally awesome

I'll cast some spells, with a flick of my wand
defeat the dark arts, yeah bring it on!
and do it all with my best friend ron, 'cuz together we're totally awesome

He felt his part coming up and stood up to stand by Jordan, a smile on his face. Gazing at all the people already staring at them, either in awe or confusion, or blinded by laughter.

REED: 
yeah, and it's gonna be totally awesome!

REED: 
It's been so long, but we're going back
don't go for work, don't go there for class

Suddenly Freddy leaped onto the table to join Reed and Jordan. There was a smirk on his face that let them all know what he was gonna sing. Being Freddy even Reed knew that he was gonna sing the girl's part.

FREDDY:
As long as were together--

REED:
-- gonna kick some a*s

FREDDY, REED:
... and its gonna be totally awesome!
This year we'll take everybody by storm,
stay up all night, sneak out of our dorm

FREDDY:
but let's not forget that we need to perform well in class
if we want to pass our OWLS!

FREDDY: 
I may be frumpy, but I'm super smart
check out my grades, they're "A's" for a start
what I lack in looks well I make up in heart, 
and well guys, yeah, that's totally awesome

this year I plan to study a lot...

REED:
that would be cool if you were actually hot

JORDAN:
hey Ron, come on, we're the only friends that she's got!

REED:
and that's cool...

FREDDY:
... and that's totally awesome

REED, FREDDY, JORDAN:
yeah it's so cool, and it's totally awesome!

we're sick of summer and this waiting around
it's like we're sitting in the lost and found
don't take no sorcery
for anyone to see how...

we gotta get back to hogwarts
we gotta get back to school
we gotta get back to hogwarts
where everything is magic-cooooool

Now all the chorus members except for Alice stood up on their tables and started dancing as they sung.

EVERYONE:
back to wizards and witches, and magical beasts
to goblins and ghosts and to magical feasts
it's all that I love, and it's all that I need at
HOGWARTS, HOGWARTS

REED, FREDDY, JORDAN
--- I think we're going back...

Everyone laughed and cheered as the song came to a close. Even the teachers had to laugh.

"Hey Alice how come you didn't sing?" Reed asked curiously

"I-I didn't know the song" she admitted.

"Oh we have to show you!" Reed, Jordan and Freddy laughed in unison, Reed already making plans for them to get together and watch A Very Potter Musical, popcorn and all.


© 2011 Khyrro


Author's Note

Khyrro
This is the continuation of chapter three. This writing, the previous one and the next one are all really just one chapter, chapter 3. I'm just switching up the point of views. Oh and don't look up superlyrics.com. I forgot what the site was really called and so I just made up a name. However Abendlied is a real song... a german song. You can find it on YouTube. Its really pretty... and complicated as it has 6 parts. The lyrics are the lyrics for the bass's.

Authors note: The chorus teacher is based off of my real life chorus teacher who is my favorite teacher I have this year. If anyone asks my chorus teacher is the best teacher I have.

Also umm, I only put a page of lyrics cause A: its german so yeah. B: I have to write it all out. C: Where i'm getting it is a picture that is hard to read.

And A Very Potter Musical is AWESOME! No ditch that! Its TOTALLY AWESOME

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

265 Views
Added on October 6, 2011
Last Updated on October 7, 2011


Author

Khyrro
Khyrro

About
I'm a 13 year old girl who just loves writing. I'm not the best out there, but people say I'm good and so why not share it? Anyway have fun reading my stories. I have written multiple unfinished stori.. more..

Writing