Stranger of Utopia

Stranger of Utopia

A Chapter by KibaxChan

Muhlsaan had awoken hours earlier after a series of bizarre dreams. The dreams he had were of swirling mists and vague forms, his ponderance brought him little information.


 “Maybe dreams are sometimes just that... how incredibly vague and frustrating.” He said as he searched his satchel for his scrying orb. No harm he could see in using this here, magic was clearly no secret in this place and he surely wouldn't be lynched for using something so harmless. Not like in the cities where they'd hang suspected witches for simple parlor tricks and illusions. He had found himself in many dangerous positions, forgetting to conceal his true power in public always led to a mountain of trouble. Many men had died in their witchhunts, especially those who had chosen to pursue this wizard.


The orb had been placed, the room was quiet and his meditative trance was nearing absolution when an ear splitting yowl tore him from the ethereal and thrust him back into the conscious world. He saw the white cat, his fur bristled and his face drawn back into a wincing expression. His hands were clutching the red eye, the wizard supposed it may have been a violent dream of the trauma that half-blinded him.


“Are you okay, Felecetii? Bad dreams? Or something more?” He asked, with genuine concern. Muhlsaan's concern for Atki caught him off guard... was he growing attached to this childish, rude, immature, and spiteful furball? How odd... “maybe”, he thought, there was something they shared in common. Outsiders. They had become a team in their short journey, despite both of their eclectic personalities they managed to form a strong partnership; unquestioning their mutual goal. The pursuit of these visions and dreams they had been given. Which reminded him to ask, “Bad dreams, my friend? Tell me what you've seen.”


The Felecetii retold his story, told of the fox-woman and her enigmatic words. He told of Ellie who had been standing in the window. He told Muhlsaan of his eye and the vision he's had restored.


“Powerful things have happened this night, my friend. You've been contacted by an otherworldly force, You are favored by the Gods, though you would think otherwise- someone is looking out for you. You've been granted visions most spend years trying to acquire and all with no practice, no meditations or years spent in solitude contemplating old tomes that may or may not be true. You're gifted, child. And with that eye... I'd say you've been gifted even further.” Muhlsaan paused, considering secrecy before he reconsidered and let Atki know the truth.


“That eye, my boy, is magic in origin. It may even be divine. Your friend the forest spirit has given you quite the gift... or curse. We'll soon find out I'd wager. You may notice things others cannot, you may see spirits of the dead, or the future- it is unknown to me.” The Felecetti's face was still twisted in pain, though he was listening attentively, “You must let me know, what do you see? And what of your dreams?”


“Muhlsaan,” Atki groaned in his agony and the black blood dripped from his cheek. He stared down at the liquid staining his ivory paws as he tried to force his normal eye to open. All he could manage at the moment was a painful, dizzying squint. “It wasn't Ellie who gave me this eye.”


“You're right, Snowcat.” Ellie spoke from the place she stood. She was stirring the pot in the center of the hut, her back turned to him. Without giving herself away, she had been observing the wizard in his catatonic state; that is, before Atki began to screech. “The White One gave it to you. I was wondering when it would awaken. The time for the prophecy to unravel is now.”


Atki groaned once again as he held his white hands up to his face to gaze down at them. They seemed to be as they should be. Everything seemed to be as it should. He raised his eyes to Muhlsaan, but it was the thing behind him that caught Atki's attention. Beyond the wizard, in the window, he saw the blood-colored eye. The dark slit of a pupil was trained on him for moment before the creature raised it's head. Through the hole, the cat could see the gleam of dagger-like teeth that adorned a mirthful grin. Atki blinked once and it was gone.


“What in the Gods is happening!?” The feline screeched, this time the only thing that drowned his voice was terror. All he could do was scream and clutch his head, “Make it stop, SOMEBODY! I see INSANITY!”


“Insanity?! What do you see, catman?” Muhlsaan grabbed Atki by the shoulders before rifling through his satchel for the orb. “Show it to me!”

The wizard grabbed the Felecetti's claw and placed it on the orb, holding it fast with his own hand. “What secrets does this eye hold?”


Muhlsaan began whispering incantations, beckoning the ancients to give him the power he so desperately needed. He genuinely cared for the boy, but his interests weren't just in the cat's safety. He wanted the knowledge he had been given. He wanted to know what this eye had seen. Before he could form the next syllable of the enchantment, Muhlsaan and Atki were torn away into a waking dream. The world fell behind them and they became formless.


It all went white and they were blinded. They felt nothing, as they floated among the abyss. There was nothing to indicate that they were even still alive. Atki opened his eyes, at first his scarlet orbs were mere slits. But as he struggled to become aware, he forced his eyes open, and he noticed that he was facing a cliff that jutted out from a snowy mountaintop. Suddenly, he felt the chill in the air as the ice coating his lungs. A shiver rattled his spine, he blinked a few times attempting to see through the blizzard.


There, mere feet away from the feline and the wizard, was a creature. It was a glistening ivory like the snow on the mountains when the sun reflected off the ice, but it's eyes were an eye-catching deep blood color. It was vaguely insectoid, but the body was that of a dragon. It's wings were spread wide as it clutched the craggy rocks, it's head held high. It's arms were reminiscent of a praying mantis and it held them close to it's scaled body. The creature lowered it's massive head until it was nearly eye -level with the two and came considerably closer.


“Atki. Muhlsaan.” It's voice was thick with the wisdom of time and it's tone could only be described as soothing. Neither male nor female. It's mouth didn't move when it spoke and the only body language it displayed was the movement of it's eyes, those crimson eyes. “I am 'the White One'.”


Muhlsaan had seen the heart of power. Levitating there, with Atki, he felt powerless. Helpless, but safe, he looked into the eyes of the great beast. It was unknowable, his eyes struggled to give it shape as it was too much to take in. Long limbs stretching into different realms like the webs of a spider, threads of flesh seeping into darkness. Insectoid limbs centrally placed on the abdomen of the great dragon held them fast, yet gently.

This beast meant them no harm, he could feel the spirit of the creature and only peace did he feel. He wanted to linger here, just as he had before when he dreamed of the forest Ellie had lived in. 


The light... he thought, the light of this great beast is the very same of in the forest. Could it be life itself? Magic itself? Could the White One be... an aspect of magic? An elemental of sorts or perhaps a god?


He lost himself in wonder as he scanned the creature, there was so much to take in, such a beautiful creature but the scale of it was staggering. He wondered where they had been taken when his focus was broken by a voice rumbling through his mind, “Do not be afraid, I have not brought you here to die. I have come to ask you to bear a burden I cannot. Do not be afraid, for you will travel with my blessing, with my banner. You will be protected and blessed.”


Akti couldn't believe what he was seeing and was rendered inert by the shock of it all. Muhlsaan glanced over at him, they were both indeed suspended by the tendrils of this creature. Suspended but unharmed.


The beast spoke further, “In this place you are formless. What you see is only what your mind has formed. Your eyes are incapable of seeing the truth of this place, as are your minds. What you see, is what your fearful psyche has conjured. So take solace and comfort in my words, and you may find us sitting comfortably around a table.”


As he finished speaking, existence reconfigured. Everything fell away like a whirlpool and they were sitting comfortably, now, in front of a fireplace. Atki was still lost, and silent; Muhlsaan, having gazed into the aether previously, was much less hypnotized yet still by no means comfortable. Reality had fully reconfigured itself and all three beings stood around a table.


“Please, sit, you are no prisoner here- simply my guest. Allow me to explain...” The insectoid beast had become a man, he wore a white robe, bound by a length of rope at the waist, his face kind and gentle. His eyes--or eye still held a red color, but was by no means frightful. His hair was closely cropped, he looked like any other human man, aside from his eyes and hair. His hair was pure white, much like the skin of his previous form.


“Speak, I know you have many questions. I am sorry for the troubles I have brought you on your way here. I am the reason for your struggles and the reason for the forming of your party. I took you from your previous life and I know the anger you may hold in your hearts.” The man paused, and looked down humbly; allowing them to speak.


“I don't care who you are, you're responsible for the life I've had?” Atki screamed as he stood up, maliciously, his ivory fur standing on end as he did. His lips were pulled back in a hiss and his eyes were the color of hellfire. His hands were raised with his fingers spread, claws unsheathed as if he could take on the White One. “WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!?”


“Dear child, you don't see. Your anger blinds you. It was necessary, it was integral to time itself.” The man regarded Atki, his single crimson eye meeting the Felecetii's. His stature did not change and his voice remained calm. It sounded like a lullaby, though one for madmen. “For you see, you are my prophet.”


Atki was struck with the idea. He lowered his hands, his ears turning forward as he stood there like a fool. For the first time, he noticed that he looked exactly like this being. Even the missing eye and the human version of him wore clothes that closely resembled Atki's as well. Not to mention the consistent snowy skin. He was silent for a moment before he said, in a tone that was only barely above a shaking and uneasy whisper, “Why me?”


“Because you have suffered, little Felecetii.”


Atki was dumbfounded, he found that he couldn't speak. The words refused to find his tongue.


“You have suffered terrible cruelty, from birth you were shunned--taken for granted and thrown away by society. I've seen your scars, I have seen your face. I am so sorry, if it was up to me none of you would suffer this way. There would be no pain... agony or hatred. I would take it all away if I could.” His eyes connected with Atki's, “I can give you what you desire, I can give you a home and a place to be. I can give you a name. If only you want it enough and you are willing to grant me a favor.”


“What is this favor great-one?” Muhlsaan injected himself into the conversation, “I wasn't brought here for bartering, I'm sure. Who are you and what is this conjuration? Are you playing with our minds? A Daurdara from the hell realms? A Kinshasha from the black mountains? What are you? I have never seen such an elaborate illusion. Your powers are nigh-celestial. What is all this?”


“You will know in time, Muhlsaan. I am neither flesh nor spirit--I dwell in those places as well, though I am not sprung from them. Those you have spoken of are servants of the witch-goddess who seeks my undoing--whether they know it or not. She dwells in the black places of this earth, the shadows on the ground and the shadows in your mind. Atki here has been touched by her black tendrils. It is for this reason I've brought you both here, to serve as both messenger and paladin of my light.”


“I need your help, you will carry my power and fight the culminating darkness... if you wish. Or you may decide otherwise, you may take my power and undo creation itself; if it so pleases you. Either way, I am placing fate in your hands. Atki is powerful, but he needs a teacher, he needs to be tempered and your flame will make it so.” The conversation shifted, the colors of the room darkened and gave way to a reflection of twilight, giving way to the heavens; stars were the only light. “I am old and my stories are no longer told. Only the forest-kind speak of me still and even then--though they use my magic to fuel their cities, I am a rumor or a myth. The faith is what sustains my existence. Without knowledge of me, I cease to exist. I have brought you both here with the last of my power, for the creatures of the forest have darkened. Ellie is the last one to carry this message. Ellie is the last vestige of my estate and legacy. The power of a God... ebbed away by fading memory.”


“So you're a God then? Why not make yourself seen and perform miracles for the masses? Gain that power back? Make them worship you?” Muhlsaan continued, “This is no magic I have ever heard of, there is no history of this I know. Why me then? Why should I become his teacher? There are many more you would choose before I, if you were truly omnipotent and divine.” A god would know the darkness I carry.


“You were chosen for the same reason Atki has, life is unrelenting and YOU have chased darkness for some time, haven't you?” Or have I chased it? Muhlsaan thought, though he kept his eyes focused on the Godflesh. The great spirit continued, “You will be the flame that tempers and illuminates the path you and Atki must take. Your wisdom will be essential in the coming struggle. I grant you my power Muhlsaan, the power you have long desired. One condition- you must show Atki how to use it as well for you will share in this task a great burden, a wondrous weight. A terrible decision. I am too weak, this time.”


Atki was speechless. His eyes were cast downward and he stood uncomfortably as the White One spoke to them. His tail lashed every now and then, his ears pressed against his furry head. He never wanted to be a hero, he only wanted to exist. He wanted to be like everybody else, not a prophet of a prophecy that had been forgotten for ages. He opened his mouth to speak after a prolonged moment, “What of the fox-woman? Enola?”


“As Ellie has said... you need the right set of keys to undo a set of locks, Atki.”


“Is that my name?”


“You don't know it, but you've already chosen it, my child.”


Atki gave an uncertain nod, sitting back down in the cushioned chair. His eyes were glancing back down at the table as he clasped his paws, a somber expression on his face.


“You must decide your fates and the fates of everyone you've ever met. You don't have time, for if you hesitate, She will swallow the world. She will possess it all. She, my opposite, and something of a... 'twin', as you mortals say now. You must remember, she is not merciful or gentle. She will destroy you... and do not deny that you will meet Her.” The spirit's eyes fell to the table as he interlocked his fingers as well. “Make your decision and harness your power. Atki, your power is unknown to you, and you've yet to discover what it means to be my prophet. Muhlsaan will teach you the ways of the ancient magics, in exchange for the last of my dwindling strength. This is what you have been gifted, my dear fellow travelers.”


His eyes trailed from the table to look at the two and somehow, it felt as if it were peering into both of their souls simultaneously. A smirk adorned his pale lips, his blood-colored eye glinting in the faint light that illuminated the three.


“Now, it's time for you to depart from my dimension, and begin your journey. Meet Enola, the dream-walker, in the woods on this day. She's waiting for you.”



© 2016 KibaxChan


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

128 Views
Added on September 5, 2016
Last Updated on September 5, 2016
Tags: magic, wizard, sorceress, fantasy, cat-person, furry, furries, orb, lore, enigmatic, spellcasting, thriller, felecetii, satyr, centaur, nymph, aspect, secrets, prophecy, fox-people


Author

KibaxChan
KibaxChan

Farmington, NM



Writing