Symphony of the Downcast

Symphony of the Downcast

A Story by KillerWithWords
"

A glimpse into the mind of struggling young prostitute.

"

Symphony of the Downcast

 

I cringed as I thought about what I had just done. I didn’t feel right, not that it ever did. But there was something about this particular guy that made him linger in the back of my head.

I don’t like thinking those thoughts. They have no business staying in my head.

 

At least I will soon have the opportunity to let a static buzz quiet my disarraying thoughts.

 

Quiet.

 

It gets so dam quiet. I think that’s why the time passes so quickly when you shoot. Because there’s no differentiation between moments. Breathing becomes the only clock.

 

And it’s so quite.

 

But the noise comes back like a b***h. It reminds me of an annoying swarming bee. No-not like a bee: bees make honey.

 

I walked to El Duracco’s and bought a chili pepper taco for 74 cents: talk about getting a bang for your buck. The taco wasn’t very tasty. But it was enough to calm the pains in my stomach. I’m too skinny. Many folks out here get strung out because they can’t afford even these 74 cent tacos.

 

Thank god I’ve been pulling it in lately. In fact I could probably eat somewhere nicer. Somewhere where they place a glass of water in front of you and ask you how your day was. But they don’t have those in this area.

 

It would be nice if someone gave me a glass of water. I imagined a smiling old woman asking me “how is your day”. That would be nice.

 

There would be recognition that I exist. I would probably smile and think of something nice to say back.

 

I think that I’m as nasty as I am because I don’t have anyone to say anything nice to.

 

It didn’t seem right. I’m not the type that would care.

 

…Weird.

 

He reminded me of my younger brother. He looked at my body with interest and understanding. The way he brushed my disheveled “wild horse hair” into place made me feel at home for the 30 minutes of our encounter. He was unattractive, they all are. The large scar that tore across his face made him seem more brutal than he really was.

He was no lamb, it was just the scar made him look terrifyingly brutal. He was only slightly brutal. They always are. That’s why they use girls like me. This is why they come to this part of town: because they feel like they need to be brutal to someone.

 

Society wants girls like me treated brutally. They think it’ll straighten us out. It doesn’t.

 

What a shame.

 

In the real world I might’ve gotten along with him.

 

…Too bad.

 

At least I got my money. I’ll be set for the next 2 days.

I’ll figure out what to do then.

 

© 2012 KillerWithWords


Author's Note

KillerWithWords
Symphony of the Downcast: Written a while ago.
How does this story make you feel?
Can you relate to the character of the story?
Please share your comments. If addressed to me (The Author) I'll make it my business to respond.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

that was fantastic! i used to know someone, a professor, who could read a story and within the first sentence tell if the book was at all worth reading. he was proud beyond belief of this ability. i think he would have went nuts with the title of your story ALONE. Symphony of the Downcast is about the best name i've heard all day for anything, and i've been awake a for a very long time.

there were some base grammar issues, a semi-colon where colon would be used, starting a sentence with a preposition, etc, but with some re-reads, I think those minor issues could be corrected. i think beyond that the story flowed very well, and you definitely got your point across like a bullet does. the character you wrote DOES seem a bit shiftless, but again, as previously mentioned, i think it fits into your story well. i, for one, would like to read more.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

KillerWithWords

11 Years Ago

My grammar isn't all that great, but as you said, a few re-reads and edits will fix that.
I'm .. read more



Reviews

I think this is really good. You really hooked me in and kept me hooked all the way till the end. Great job! :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


nice ride ... flows well but I couldn't seem to get into the head of the narrator until about two-thirds through the read. Nonetheless, this piece kept my attention.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

that was fantastic! i used to know someone, a professor, who could read a story and within the first sentence tell if the book was at all worth reading. he was proud beyond belief of this ability. i think he would have went nuts with the title of your story ALONE. Symphony of the Downcast is about the best name i've heard all day for anything, and i've been awake a for a very long time.

there were some base grammar issues, a semi-colon where colon would be used, starting a sentence with a preposition, etc, but with some re-reads, I think those minor issues could be corrected. i think beyond that the story flowed very well, and you definitely got your point across like a bullet does. the character you wrote DOES seem a bit shiftless, but again, as previously mentioned, i think it fits into your story well. i, for one, would like to read more.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

KillerWithWords

11 Years Ago

My grammar isn't all that great, but as you said, a few re-reads and edits will fix that.
I'm .. read more
This needs a general edit for punctuation and spelling. Also, the very beginning is off...

"It didn’t seem right-not that it would change anything. But I knew this one would linger in the back of my head for a while. That bothers me. I don’t like thinking those thoughts." Didn't (and knew) is past... bothers (and don't) is present... yet they are both supposed to be present, I think.

The character is lifeless, but in a good way- it seems fitting. I've known a lot of strippers who are treated quite similarly and it's a shame. Overall, pretty good... just needs that edit. :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

KillerWithWords

11 Years Ago

Perhaps it's the retrospective narration that makes this confusing. It is someone talking now-about .. read more
KillerWithWords

11 Years Ago

Revised.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

369 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 17, 2012
Last Updated on December 18, 2012
Tags: Prostitute, Sadness, Given, Up, Hope, Pain, Sorrow, Cry, Insensitive, Drugs


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..