Chapter X: Taped

Chapter X: Taped

A Chapter by Alex Vidmar
"

NOTE!!!!! This is the TENTH part of a book I am Writing!!!

"

      Just three minutes ago, Kevin Knowles was sitting in his kitchen eating with his girlfriend.  The night was calm and the sky was clear; he could easily make out Orion and Ursa Major gleaming in space.  The celestial bodies seemed to have been smiling down upon him as if blessing him in graceful serenity.

      Two minutes ago, there was a knock at the front door.  While his girlfriend went to answer, he started clearing the table.  He heard the door open and then her scream of terror.  Grabbing for a large stainless-steel chef’s knife from the knife block, he heard her scream cut short with a gut-wrenching snap!

      One minute ago, he was peeking his head around the corner, where he saw the murderer standing over her body.  He was a well-built man, standing at about six-foot five.  But this monster was gigantic, its eyes burning with pure evil!

      Kevin could not stand it anymore; he bolted for the back door, stumbling over his own feet.  He could hear the sound of the killer’s boots growing nearer as he threw open the back door and hid behind a nearby maple tree.  The footsteps fell silent and he watched the creature’s shadow draw closer to his hiding spot.  He clutched the knife in his right hand, his heart pounding against his ribcage, and he readied himself.

      Just as the neck-snapping executioner’s foot stepped into view, Kevin lunged forward, stabbed him between the ribs, twisted the knife violently and retreated to his garden shed, where he kept his father’s vintage Luger pistol.  He knew his only practise with the weapon was picking-off woodchucks, but the other guy did not know that, so he hoped to use it to his advantage.

      He took up a shooter’s stance towards the rear of the shed, ready to die, and flipped the toggle to automatic.  When the giant entered the doorway, he emptied the entire thirty-two round cartridge into his abdomen and legs.  The assailant crumpled to the ground, unmoving.

      Relieved, Kevin dropped the spent weapon and stepped over the corpse, running back into his house.  As he neared the kitchen, he grabbed for the phone and pressed it to his ear, only to discover that there was not a dial-tone; the murderous b*****d must have cut the phone line!

      Dropping the phone where he stood, he slowly made his way to his girlfriend, but what he saw was sickening; her head had been turned a full one-eighty on her shoulders!  He stuck the bloodstained knife in his belt and ran through the open front door to his car.

      Meanwhile, unbeknownst to Kevin, the dead man lying in the doorway of his shed was not dead.  Laughing satanically, the massive human climbed to his feet and reached for a roll of duct tape laying on the ground next to him.

      Kevin’s fingers were shaking as he fumbled to unlock his car.  Questions invaded his mind like ants at a picnic.  Why was he being targeted?  What did he do wrong?  Who was this slaughterer?  Why was he being chased?  He finally managed to unlock the door and clambered into the black sedan, slamming the door shut behind him and ramming the key into the ignition.  He turned the key and…

      Nothing happened.

      The car was dead; just… dead.  He turned the key again to no avail.  He pushed the door open and stepped out just in time to see the dead man step out of his house, a roll of silver duct tape in his hand and a sneer of pure hatred on his face.

      Kevin did the only thing he could think of; run.  His feet slapped at the pavement, the sound echoing off the empty street.  Behind him he could hear the booming laugh of his undead stalker.  He pushed himself to his limits, reaching the end of the street in less than ten seconds.  Turning the corner, he hid behind a pile of garbage and waited, knife at the ready.

      Not three seconds later, the inhuman entity treaded into view, just in time to catch a knife to the heart.  It looked down and let out a hearty, spine chilling chuckle, reaching down to the roll of tape on its wrist.  Kevin stumbled backwards in both surprise and horror as the monster tore off a strip and patched itself up as though it was nothing but a scratch.

      Panicking, Kevin looked around him and ran into an alleyway.  He knew that, sooner or later, he would have to give up; obviously, nothing could destroy this demon, delay it maybe, but not destroy it.  He dove behind a dumpster, his back covered in cold sweat, and pressed against the damp, dirty side of the trash bin.  His body tensed and he held his breath, patiently awaiting the moment to strike again.  As the shadow neared, he froze; the freak passed him by.

      Striking like a viper, Kevin reached out and dragged the blade of the knife across the creature's throat, severing both the carotid artery and jugular vein, as well as the esophagus and trachea.  Blood sprayed everywhere, painting the walls and ground in essence.  Even then, the demon did not fall, but merely began to wrap the tape around his nearly decapitated neck.

      This game of cat-and-mouse continued, non-stop, over the course of the next two-and-a half hours, during which time Kevin was able to inflict multiple normally-fatal wounds on the “cat”.  Even after opening both femoral arteries, puncturing both lungs, gutting, and slashing his assassin’s Achilles’ tendons, the chase was not about to end.

      Kevin had made it up the stairs of a large apartment complex, his sides about to split open and his lungs feeling like they were going to burst.  He knew it was over for him.  He was giving up.  He eyed the madman as it trudged up the stairs towards him, and began to pray.  As the killer reached the top of the stairs, Kevin used the last of his strength for one last desperate attempt at self-defense; he kicked his attacker back down the stairway.

      His potential murderer fell backwards, tumbling head over heels down to the first floor of the building.  In the empty building, Kevin heard the crack of a neck breaking echo as the perpetrator hit the ground floor and lay prone.  He looked over the railing and saw his assailant, unmoving, three floors below.  Five minutes passed, and there was still no movement from the cadaver below him.  He had won; it was all over.  He collapsed from exhaustion and was asleep before his shoulders thumped against the floor.

     

      God-d****t… Kevin was supposed to die….  What the Heaven….  My minion was supposed to be invincible!  I’m going to fire the head of Demon Constructs when we return to Hell!  Either that or I’m just getting too old for this s**t….  Hopefully, I’m only losing my touch….  Ah, f**k it all….

      Oh well… onto the next victim…



© 2012 Alex Vidmar


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Can I just say, I read your first chapter, fully intent on only reading the first one, and then I guess I just got caught up on what was going to happen next. Look where I am now! Definitely more than the first chapter. You are very good at getting people's attention! You use so many details, and I feel like I'm there as I read. It's VERY good!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Can I just say, I read your first chapter, fully intent on only reading the first one, and then I guess I just got caught up on what was going to happen next. Look where I am now! Definitely more than the first chapter. You are very good at getting people's attention! You use so many details, and I feel like I'm there as I read. It's VERY good!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like this chapter. Kevin was wise. Good to have weapons in many hidden places. I like the chase and the surprise ending. No weakness in this chapter. Thank you for a excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

very well written. I'm sitting here alone at night and this scared the heck out of me!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

285 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 3, 2012
Last Updated on January 10, 2012


Author

Alex Vidmar
Alex Vidmar

Wakefield, RI



About
I'm twenty-two years old and a musician at heart, but I took up writing five years ago. I'm hoping to get published somewhere, so I'm trying out this site. Please be honest in your reviews. Be cr.. more..

Writing
Shy Shy

A Poem by Alex Vidmar


Islands Islands

A Poem by Alex Vidmar