Chapter Three, Hollowed Minds Don't Run

Chapter Three, Hollowed Minds Don't Run

A Chapter by Thomas Reilly Thornhill
"

Nero's adventure into the mind of a madman

"

Chapter Three

Hollowed minds don’t run

 

I had to keep my pace. My feet were moving faster than my thoughts, which consisted of sly sniggers in contemplation of today’s earlier discrepancy. His dried blood still stained my trousers and the sounds of his voice were coupled with the confusing ordeal of having to explain myself to the woman I love. Would the angel that I’m sought after have time for whatever I’ve become?


I started to experience a peculiar feeling that arose from the blackest corners and alleys of my forsaken spirit and spilled out over all things that surrounded me. It had enough power to stop me dead in my tracks. It was guilt. Without hesitation I collapsed to my knees and wept loudly. What had I done? What have I become? Could I continue to live with the twisted man shallowly peering out from inside me?


My mind could not contain this information and by this point I was screaming my sorrows to the Heavens so that hopefully God would hear me and forgive the monster that so badly begged for redemption on a lonely forest road. As if flicked by some divine switch, I stood up and reasoned with myself, why would God care for me. If He truly did, He would have interrupted me during my session. No all-powerful being could be strong enough to raise me above the decay of the modern world and rescue me from myself. I was alone.


I spent the following few nights in taverns and the days I spent in solitude, cowering under rocks with only myself for entertainment, which as the clasp of insanity tends to reason, wasn’t very taxing. However, I could not continue to live like this for the rest of my days. After all I had to head back to the town in order to resume my love life and pursue the singular most beautiful being in that mess of dirty bodies and filthy language. My goal was simple but the loneliness and the lack of accompaniment was twitching inside me.


My ever brilliant brain had more than often led me to dark places where the binds of reality were unravelled and it had been free to generate all kinds of disfigured images and contorted scenarios. On most of these ever more frequent occasions I could not fight it back off inside me, letting it consume my parameters which forced me to interact with the cunning creatures it had so easily developed. It had happened too often and I was beginning to doubt the water I drank and the food I ate, I became suspicious of the world in all its cruelty and heartlessness. There was, however, one thing I knew was real, my love for the mysteriously brilliant creature I had only a glimpse of.


Over the next few weeks I found myself gradually descending further and further into an apparent madness of the mind as it would most likely have seemed to any observer catching sight of my increasingly erratic behaviour, although, I in my own world, was fine. I became enthralled with the simplest of things from foxes to the colourful plants that ever so elegantly decorated a dazzling landscape far more beautiful and inviting than that which I was previously habituated to. I eventually took to tasting mostly every new plant I came across, resulting in fairly severe poisoning on several occasions. The last of which instigated a chance meeting with a fellow cloaked in a peculiarity to rival my own.


The gentleman who with a soft caring tone was capable of dulling the initial intimidation sparked in my mind by his thick purple robe, blotted with all manner of stains, to match the heavy hood which hung over his face preserving an anonymity which could only serve as necessity to a murderer. He found me in a pool of my own shame stricken with illness upon the consumption of what he later informed me was a highly poisonous plant the name of which alludes me. If he knew of my crimes I’m certain his compassion would have been absent. Fortunately to him I was just a foolish simpleton rolling in my own faeces.


He presented to me an elixir that was sealed within a satchel which hung off his shoulder across his chest. The elixir contained within a small vial which he opened and pressed to my lips, the bitter taste of what I deemed medicine was followed by heavenly respite from my plant related ailments. After releasing me from my pain he linked my arm with his, like a gentleman escorting a lady of class, and hoisted me from the ground guiding my cured but still frail self deeper into the forest.


We lurked slowly through the wooded giants, passing distinctive plants that I’ve grown familiar to over the course of the weeks prior to this enchanting event. I’m still enthralled by the man ahead of me, even if my mind was to blame for his physical presence. I waste no time asking mundane questions coated with smiles and eager eyes filled with a false passion for attention. I do, however, thank him for saving me from my dreadful ordeal and as I blindly begin to ask for our bearings and possibly a reason for our direction we come to a small parting that explains my mindless query.


The robed body leans to me and gently gestures me forward to a small cottage in a particularly bright ray of sunlight. The cottage had this man written all over it, it was a wonder of mystery and magic, with blackened windows and a thick smoke oozing from the chimney. I rested my hand on the golden handle for the opaque masterpiece of carvings and engravings. My mind was thrown into a translucent daze buried in marvel and awe at this solid portrait of a story told in wood.


As I entered the beautiful cabin a thick, warm smell rushed to my nose. It smelled of the most delicious meal that came to mind, which in turn churned my stomach, reminding me that I hadn’t eaten in days. I had forgotten that I had been blocking the entrance to this man’s’ abode and was startled to find a hand resting on my weakened shoulder. The weight of his hand was difficult to bear and I became determined not to fall.


He so easily had moved past me that I was left standing in the doorway of a strangers house, alone and abandoned to make the final decision with regards to entering or not. A moment’s hesitation too long and a cool summer’s breeze gently carried the door closed behind me, nudging me in. It seemed strange to me that a door would be hinged in a manner which would cause it to open outwardly into the surrounding world rather than inwardly to the cottage. What sort of backwards craftsman constructed this strange and wonderful paradise of the bizarre? Perhaps it was erected with the very hands which carried me here.


My curiosity would go unresolved for now as I was overcome with a sudden feeling of great weight over my body and a lack of focus that could only be remedied by sleep. So I gave into its pleasant seduction and slumped to the floor engulfed by dreams of my love.



© 2012 Thomas Reilly Thornhill


Author's Note

Thomas Reilly Thornhill
Same stuff, please let me know if you spot any errors :D Thanks

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I do have suspicions against the man who gave him the remedy, but I find it intriguing in part to what comes next. Should the day come he is betrayed, or shall he escape barely the grasps of his chasers? (That is, of course, if he is betrayed) I'm wondering as well if he turns into a sociopath in the future? Excellent job indeed.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This reads really well, I think it is one of the best chapters thus far :).
The second and third paragraphs contain some really strong imagery and asking some awesome questions, pointing to the helpless confusion of your protagonist. Very moving indeed.
2nd para.: 1st line: ... by this point ... I think this should either be at this point or by this time.
Line three: ... by some divine switch ... perhaps an anachronism?

Otherwise a fascinating story and looking forward to reading more.
Lizbeth

Posted 11 Years Ago


I do have suspicions against the man who gave him the remedy, but I find it intriguing in part to what comes next. Should the day come he is betrayed, or shall he escape barely the grasps of his chasers? (That is, of course, if he is betrayed) I'm wondering as well if he turns into a sociopath in the future? Excellent job indeed.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The tense slips from past to present starting with paragraph 9, then slips back to the past tense in paragraph 11. Other than that, it's an interesting continuation.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Thomas Reilly Thornhill

11 Years Ago

Thank you for pointing that out. We'll take a look at it as soon as we can
My goodness.. at once a pitiable and frightening creature...

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pax
a mysterious chapter, i wonder.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very good chapter. Good to have time to make the character have balance and reason. I like the journey into the pubs and then finally finding sleep and sweet dream. Thank you for sharing the excellent chapter.
Coyote

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


how the heck can i spot any errors when there aren't any. your work is like.. flawless. when you finish the book you should totally publish it!!! :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Thomas Reilly Thornhill

11 Years Ago

Thank you very much :D
Kind of the man to save is life and let him into his home. I wonder what will happen next.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Thomas Reilly Thornhill

11 Years Ago

Heheh you will find out soon enough ;)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

623 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 21, 2012
Last Updated on July 23, 2012
Tags: insanity, murder, loss, love


Author

Thomas Reilly Thornhill
Thomas Reilly Thornhill

Glasgow, strathclyde, United Kingdom



About
I suffer from a multiple personality disorder. It had been a major setback most of my younger life but Ive found that I enjoy collaborating my writing with my other me´s. Ive been told its actua.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Unfamiliar Unfamiliar

A Poem by Tai Ryens


Forsaken Forsaken

A Poem by Tai Ryens