Til' Death Do We Part?

Til' Death Do We Part?

A Story by Jasmine
"

A thing that I did for school, please tell me what you think! ^.^

"

“How did your husband die?”

            “My husband is missing, not dead. I want you to look for him, not ask me questions that are useless, I don’t care if you think that he is dead, look for him!”

            “Ma’am, please just answer the question,” the agent stated dully.

            “We were hiking in the woods, the ones close to the College at which Dante and I work. We are biologists; we study life, how it works and what makes it tick, you know...

            “Anyway, Dante is the one who spotted what I first thought was a bear, there are a lot of those down in that part of the woods. But upon closer inspection, it was not a bear. In fact, it did not look like it was God made, not at all. It was pieced together like Frankenstein, the eyes were human, but nothing else was. The arms were almost like a gorilla, while the head was that of a bear. The body was delicate, like that of a deer, but sturdy. It was strong too.” I was shaking now, speaking too fast, the memory of how The Beast looked at him….Dante. The shaking was a spasm that was hard to control.

            The agent, Smithson, I believe he was called, handed me a glass. I took it, hoping that it would calm my nerves. “What happened next Mrs. Lynn?”

            “Please, call me Rhea…Dante was the first to react, he walked towards it slowly. My husband always had a thing for large animals. I, myself, am less trusting. The Beast looked at him, as if it was thinking, but it did not move.

            “’Dante! Come on! We should report this to the rangers or something!’ I told him, but he did not listen, I might as well have been trying to convince a shoe. He just stood there.

            “Then faster than I thought possible, The Beast grabbed Dante and took him away…” I shivered again, not just because the room was cold, I could hear Dante’s voice echoing through my head, telling me to run. A tear escaped my closed eyes.

            “I wandered though the forest looking for any sign of him, but there was none…. And now I come here and all you do is presume that he is dead…you do NOTHING!!” Smithson jumped at my outburst. When I started crying into my hands, Smithson stood up and went to the door of the stark white room. The single light bulb barely lit his face as he said in his low voice, “Rhea, I am sorry, we will look for your husband, but I doubt that we will find anything.”

            I nodded still crying, but at least I was not shaking any more. I stood up and went to the door that was being held open for me. I walked with my arms around me, to keep myself from shaking. The agent led me down a corridor that was as white as a hospital with lots of doors.

            I shook his hand at the lobby and waved to the woman typing, who had looked up at the sound of the door opening and my sobbing. I went to the front door and started walking to my car; which was parked farther than I remembered. I reached for my purse… dang it; unfortunately, my purse was left behind in the White room. I rubbed my eyes on my sleeve as I walked back to the multi-storied building.

            As I entered the reception area, the Typing Woman looked up. I waved weakly, “Sorry, I forgot my purse…” She smiled and went back to work. I walked to the door that had led to the White Room. The hallway was empty so I kept walking. There was a murmur of voices from the other room, but I wasn’t going to eavesdrop.

            I heard Smithson’s voice from the other side of the White Room’s door. I was trying to figure out the right time to knock when HIS voice entered the conversation. “She knows. We don’t want that now do we?”

            “I am sorry, Sir.” Smithson’s voice was almost panicked, different than it was when I was talking to him.

            “What was the Chimera doing out in the forest any way?! I thought I told you to keep them locked up.” Dante’s voice was gruff and mean… almost hateful. It was starting to scare me, this dangerous exchange of words.

            “The one that escaped, we have always had trouble with her. We will deal with your wife, if that is what is wanted.” I started shaking again… what was my missing husband doing here?! I looked at the handle. The innocent object that would never scare a fly was scaring my wits out of me. Another tear escaped my closed eyes and dripped down my misty cheeks.

            RUN!!! An internal voice told me with haste and urgency. I obeyed instantly.

            The hallway seemed much longer as I heard Smithson and Dante’s voice call out, “Who’s there?!” The doors opened and people poured out and filled the narrow hallway. I weaved in and out of the workers and ran to the door. People were calling out in irritation. I reached the door when a pair of big strong arms grabbed my torso. “Dante?!” I recognized his display of affection. It was him, I started sobbing again.

            “Shh,” he cooed in my ear. “Don’t cry….I’m here.” His hand reached up with a piece of cloth, I tried to move. I couldn’t breath!!! Then…

 

            I woke up in a dark room, the first thought that ran through my now conscious mind was what happened? There was a sudden intake of air when I realized I could no longer move my limbs. A light flicked on and I blinked at the sudden contrast.

            “Good, you are awake…”

            “What do you want? What happened to my Dante?” There was harshness in my voice that only comes from lack of moisture. I found myself crying again, there seemed to be a lot of that lately.

            “There was never ‘your Dante.’” Rolling my head backwards, I could just barely make out the silhouette of my husband. He had a syringe in his hand, calibrating the amount of some kind of solution. “You always seemed so full of yourself, Rhea, that’s what brought me to you, you know? It’s too bad that things happened this way. I really did like you.”

            “What changed?” It was whispered in sadness.

            “You got in the way. You saw things that you shouldn't have seen, like Delilah for example...” Dante pulled my limp arm up to insert the small needle. It didn't hurt, but I still felt the push of the fluid as it invaded my veins.

            “We were married...” I knew that I was using the past tense, I didn't think that I would survive this.  I told myself to just keep stalling him.

            “You were beautiful in many ways, I may have fallen in love with you if the circumstances were different.” He leaned in near my face, his glasses perched precariously on the tip of his nose. 

            “What are you going to do to me?”

            Silence.

            “Dante? What's gonna happen to me?” My tongue felt too big for my mouth. I tried looking around, but my head was too heavy, all I ended up doing was moving my eyes. I couldn't see him, but I could hear him. He was shuffling around papers.

            “Apparently, you will freeze from the inside out. It is experimental, so we're not sure if you will actually freeze...” My eyes opened in fear, what?! What was going to happen? I was going to FREEZE?!

             I felt my hands grow cold, but it wasn't like sticking your hand in some ice water, it was more like being outside in negative weather without any kind of protection and punching it on ice. It was unbearably slow, starting at the point of insertion and making its way to my fingertips. I wanted to scream, to make a sound of protest, but my tongue was dead. My tears started to well up again. I needed to get out of here!

            “I see that it's working, see how you move your eyes? You are panicking. That should mean that it's working, though we can't be certain until we take you apart... You're lucky that you are so beautiful, that means that when we take you apart, you will be reused, recycled for a new life. You would enjoy that wouldn't you?” I gagged as the formula made its way to my throat, I couldn't breathe! I couldn't think.... I couldn't.....

 

            “Honey, get up! If we want to catch the bus, we need to hurry!” I could hear Dante bustling around the room. I sat up groggily from the bed. “What happened?” I slurred.

            “You overslept! Come on! Get dressed! Lets go!” Dante smiled sweetly at me, his glasses sitting on the tip of his nose. “I love you, beautiful.”

            I laughed as I pulled away the blanket and started getting dressed. Thank God it was just a nightmare. “Where are we going today?”

            “We are going to the woods near the College. You know the place, you know that they say that there are marvelous creatures there.“

 

 

 

      FIN

© 2010 Jasmine


Author's Note

Jasmine
Talk to me!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ooh, nice work! It made my skin crawl...
The one thing that bothered me a teensy bit was how you used "you are" and "it is" the majority of the story, rather than saying "you're" and "it's". That may just be my own personal pet-peeve, though. There were also a few run-on sentences, as well. However, I'd say this deserves a 96/100. That's pretty excellent, if you ask me. What really matters is the creativity and storyline, which I think was outstanding.

Marvelous work! I hope you continue to write!

_Cloud

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow. it's a lot like premonition the movie but with a better twist. It really had me on the edge of my seat from start to finish. It was thrilling and scary and dramatic. Really really well done.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I liked it. I will say that there were some errors, such as the fact you used 'any way' as two words. I'm pretty sure that it's just supposed to be one word. You had several run-on sentences as well, but nothing that was too distracting.

Still, though, kudos! You did a good job with this piece.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

173 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 12, 2010
Last Updated on August 12, 2010

Author

Jasmine
Jasmine

About
I joined to read the different storys because I love to get lost in the story and have to find my way back out again... I will try to write from time to time. ^.^ more..

Writing
preface preface

A Chapter by Jasmine


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Jasmine