Wisconsin Winter

Wisconsin Winter

A Story by Kita Tataki (Emily Conn)
"

Just a little description of my morning today :)

"
I stepped out into the cold morning, the subfreezing air snapping at my face and threatening to bite my skin. A freezing rain drizzled halfheartedly down, wafting weightlessly from branches and assorted peaks on the house. The branches on our old elm tree groaned under the invisible weight, sagging down and scrabbled towards the frozen ground, ice droplets hanging precariously on the coated limb.

The rain froze instantly upon meeting the earth; all that existed out of doors had been slathered by a slick coating of ice. The driveway was plastered, and I slithered my way down until I gave up and retreated to the equally uninviting lawn. The grass stuck up in odd patches as though the spindly fingers of the wind had raked them against their will. Each unsupported blade of grass cracked and shrieked and splintered like glass under the sole of my boots as I muttered mutinously and continued crushing and crunching my way across the spiteful lawn.

Little chunks of ice that rocketed down from the darkened sky blasted against the back of my coat, little meteorites carried by the force of the angry wind, yet only feeling like pinpricks. The wind continued its rude attempt at ravaging my bare cheeks, whipping against my raw skin and tearing with its cold little claws. The morning was silent, all was still, as though nothing dared breath for fear of attracting the terrible attention of the ice and winter. Shuffling my feet impatiently, I amused myself with the sharp, crisp crunch of the tormented blades of grass.

Up came the lights of the bus, swelling against the capsule of ice and snow that congregated at the end of my driveway. It inched its way slowly along the road; the half inch of ice resting atop the pavement catching my attention momentarily, before it snapped back to the slow progress of my ride. As the wheels cautiously pulled up to my feet and I clambered inside, I was greeted by the gush of warm air, come to comfort my cheeks. I sauntered to the back and watched as the land turned into a white and grey blur as the bus pulled forward, leading me away from the foreboding call of a Wisconsin Winter.

© 2011 Kita Tataki (Emily Conn)


Author's Note

Kita Tataki (Emily Conn)
Wisconsin winters are BRUTAL! We had a particularly bad ice-rain storm last night and it left everything encased in ice this morning. I was inspired by the sickening crunch of the grass :P So here we are, a short story, yay! ^.^
Also, WHOA there are a lot of "S," "T," and "C" sounds in this one o.O

*Hmm, edit*
Unfortunately, there isn't any plot in this one; it's just the description of the morning as I walked down my driveway XD If only something exciting happened... :P

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You mentioned there was no real plot. I don't believe that is necessarily a bad thing. Descriptive writing can stand on it's own. There doesn't have to have characters, dialogue, etc. to be enjoyable to read. I live in Southern California and have never experience sever weather day in and day out, so for me your work was informative and very enjoyable to read.

Posted 12 Years Ago


This story does not do enough justice to the terrible driving conditions I had to deal with in Milwaukee this morning. That being said, all the imagery was fairly heavy and intense, which was really good, but I'd just suggest maybe breaking up some of those parts with a little bit of plot motion just to help it flow a little better.
Otherwise, here's hoping to a hot and early summer this year.


Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

308 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 22, 2011
Last Updated on February 22, 2011

Author

Kita Tataki (Emily Conn)
Kita Tataki (Emily Conn)

E-ville, WI



About
IF YOU REALLY WANT ME TO READ YOUR WORK, MESSAGE ME AND I'LL OBLIGE. I no longer accept RRs but if you ask me personally, I will definitely do it for ya. I'm a giant nerd, and I'm obsessed with Lor.. more..

Writing