Chapter Seven: Dinner Dates

Chapter Seven: Dinner Dates

A Chapter by Karli
"

Chapter Seven of Hold Your Peace

"

    I didn't speak to my sister for a total of thirty-eight hours. She just didn't understand what I was really going through. When she did, I'd resume my relationship with her. I knew I wouldn't be upset forever. She was family, after all.

    After nearly two days in silence, she entered my room one night and sat on my bed, not bothering to request permission. Her eyes were locked on my sheets.

    "Look," she finally spoke, running her fingers through her hair. "I'm sorry that I wasn't really listening to you the other night. I just didn't really understand why you were thinking the way you were. Mark's always been in my life, so I just didn't understand what you were going through. I apologize for not considering your true feelings."

     "It's okay," I disclosed. I couldn't stand being angry with my sister any longer. "You've never been through this. I don't really know what's happening to me, but it's hard going through all of this. I just want my old life back. In my old life, I had Ryan."

     "I'm sure you'll be okay," she touched my shoulder. "I'll help get you through this."

     "Thanks," I grinned and hugged her.

     "Why don't you call Laurel? We can all go out to dinner." she suggested, handing me my phone. "My treat."

     "That'd be great," I dialed Laurel's number.

 

    Laurel was so uneasy about all of this. She hadn't even informed Ryan of my arrival, in fear of it all leading back to her. I planned to live the rest of my life here in North Carolina, avoiding him at all costs. For all he knew, I was living my life in San Diego.

    I wondered how long this whole "avoiding" plan would last, honestly. How was I supposed to be friends with Laurel, and live my life two blocks away from him, completely avoiding him?

    Luckily, I convinced Laurel to forget her troubles for the night. She, Kimmy, and I were going to have a nice, peaceful dinner at Olive Garden. It was my favorite restaurant, and the ones in North Carolina were sensational. Ryan had brought me here a dozen times, being Italian, and all, but I was alright with coming here with friends. Oddly enough, it didn't haunt me, being here.

    Beautiful Italian music charmed my ears as we entered. Smells of fresh garlic and red wine scented the place. It brought me back to the happiest days of my life, which were now over. It gave me hope for the future, knowing someday, I'd share that sort of love with someone again.

    After we all ordered, we sat and sifted through our menus, looking for the perfect glass of wine. Kimmy and I spoke of their specialty wines, debating whether we should try them. I looked to Laurel for suggestions to see her fidgeting and hiding her face.

    "Laurel, what's wrong?" I asked, turning in my seat.

    "It's Rachel," she whispered. "She's here."

    "Where?" I scanned the restaurant for my target. A glass of wine was going to end up in her face. "Where is she?"

    "Over there," Laurel cautiously pointed to my far right. I spotted her, laughing and chatting with four other girls. Rachel looked up, and met my eyes, before standing up from her seat.

    I begged the Lord to keep her from coming over here, but it wasn't enough. She stalked her way towards us, crossing her arms and smirking.

    "Fancy meeting you here," she nudged my arm.

    "Don't touch me," I hissed. I kept my eyes on my menu, pretending to be chosing an order.

    "My girls and I are here celebrating my engagement." she cocked her head and grinned wider. "You've heard the news around town, right? Ryan proposed. To me."

    "Yes, I heard." I snapped, slamming my menu down. "Congratulations."

    "Thanks," she squealed and took a seat next to me. "So, have you found a new boyfriend? I'm sure you haven't."

    It was all I could do not to stab her with my fork.

    "No," I admitted. "I don't. What's it to you?"

    "Just wondered." she laughed, an evil look striking her chubby face. "Well, anyways, have you talked to Ryan since you've been here?"

    "No." I automatically answered. "He doesn't know I'm here."

    "Really?" she sat back. "When were you going to tell him, Erin?"

    "It's none of your business, Rachel." I shot.

    "Just wondered, calm down." she huffed and grabbed one of our breadsticks.

    "Look," Kimmy slammed her glass of water down, causing a bit to spill out of the edges. "I don't believe you were invited over here. So, go away."

    "Someone's a little feisty today." Rachel laughed loudly and crossed her arms tightly.

    "I'm serious, Rachel." Kimmy gritted her teeth and clenched her fists. "Get. Out."

    "I believe this is a free country." Rachel objected.

    God, she was so immature. We weren't sixteen anymore. She couldn't use those same comebacks.

    "Then I have the freedom to kick your a*s." Kimmy stood up to face Rachel.

    "Hit me with your best shot." Rachel challenged.

    "Guys!" I immediately got between them. As much as I hated Rachel, we couldn't act like kids. We were in a nice restaurant. If they wanted to duke it out, they could wait until later. "Rachel, just go back to your table."

    "Erin," Rachel rolled her eyes. "If your b***h of a sister wants to fight me, let her. You're a stupid w***e, who needs a bodyguard."

    Without thinking, I swung at her.

    Kimmy grabbed my arm and held me back, letting Rachel go.

    "Rachel, leave!" Kimmy ordered, pointing to her table.

    "Whatever." Rachel switched her hips as she returned to her table.

    "I've never met someone so childish." Kimmy brushed hair out of her eyes and continued scanning her menu.

    "Neither have I." Laurel spoke for the first time since before Rachel came over.

    The rest of our dinner was eaten peacefully. We didn't speak of the situation, but we were all thinking about Rachel. I hated her so much, but not just because of her personality. Truth be told, I'd hate anyone who married Ryan.

    "Is everyone finished?" Kimmy sighed, sitting back.

    "I believe so." Laurel finished the last of her wine before we began walking out of the restaurant.

    As we passed Rachel's table, we kept our eyes off of her. I looked down the see her foot stuck out, attempting to trip me.

    How old was she?

    "Seriously?" I raged. She was so annoying!

    "You're right, my bad." she smirked. "Hey, why don't you come to my wedding? I like seeing you angry like this."

    Her friends giggled.

    That was it! We weren't teenagers. I didn't understand why she was acting like such a five year old. I don't know what came over me, but I picked up her glass of wine and threw it in her face.

    "You b***h!" she stood up, attempting to clean the stain off of her shirt.

    "Excuse me, miss," a man came up to us. "I'm going to have to ask you to leave."

    "My. Pleasure." I said without breath, taking my friends with me.

    "I can't believe you threw a drink in her face!" Kimmy laughed, clapping proudly. "You should've let me at her."

    "No, she was acting like a toddler." I grunted.

    "You know, she'll probably tell Ryan you're here." Laurel said, zipping up her sweater. "I wouldn't put it past her."

    "Deny it." I told her. "If she says I was with you, say you have no idea what she's talking about."

    "Got it." Laurel nodded.

    After we dropped Laurel off, I saw a man walking towards the house. Knowing it was probably Ryan, I quickly got back into the car and drove off, careful to be sure he wasn't in the way of my headlights.

    Laurel called me the next day, and said that Rachel in fact had told Ryan. She told me that she said I punched her, and she was scared because I was becoming a monster. She wanted a monster?

    Game on.



© 2011 Karli


Author's Note

Karli
Please give only positive feedback. If you like it, tell me. If you like it, but have constructive critisism, PLEASE tell me. If you don't like it, tell me how to fix it. If you're going to be rude, don't comment. :) I'm really liking writing this. for now, I'm not editing. when it's finished, I'll do a big editing process. I'm submitting these so that I can get feedback from others :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like it! That's the truth! But I wish they didn't have to scream and say bad words at each other. Anyway, reading on and excited! :)

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

197 Views
1 Review
Added on February 4, 2011
Last Updated on February 4, 2011


Author

Karli
Karli

About
My name is Karli. Jesus. Youth Ministry. Europe. "He has told you what is good...do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with your God."-Micah 6:8. more..

Writing