Chapter Eight: Clumsy

Chapter Eight: Clumsy

A Chapter by Karli
"

The eighth chapter of Hold Your Peace

"

    A week had gone by, the tension in our lives dying down a bit. Of course, I'd still be cautious of Rachel, but I was no longer too worried about her. Kimmy and I hung out with Laurel more than I thought we would. I really enjoyed the company of Laurel. She was very sweet, and kind-natured.

    It made it hard, knowing Ryan and Rachel lived in the apartments right across the street from mine. The owners of my apartments were related to the ones from Ryan's, which didn't make it any easier. Every time a party went on, residents from each side attended. Laurel told me he never attented the parties, but neither did I. It just sucked, not being able to go to anything in fear of seeing him.

    One day, I decided to let that fear go, for once. A beach party was going on just outside of my apartment, so Laurel, Kimmy, and I decided to attend. We packed up towels, sunscreen, and bottles of Dasani water before heading down to the golden shore.

    The beach was absolutely crowded. The messy group of partiers danced around as music colored the windy air. Waves from the sea came in rhythm, calling out to us. I loved this part of North Carolina. No other place was quite like this.

    "I'm so thirsty." Laurel panted, her knees bending towards the creamy sand.

    "We've got water bottles." Kimmy began rummaging through her oversized pool bag.

    "I'm in the mood for soda." Laurel rejected, searching for a concession stand. "They sell them over there."

    We strolled through the beach carefully towards the stand. I admired the horizon as we walked, as it seemed to be dancing along with the crystal waves that were extended towards the roaring sun. I never wanted to leave this spot.

    "Three diet cokes, please," Laurel handed six dollars to the cashier. "Thank you."

    I turned around, walking backwards as Kimmy scanned the beach for a place to lounge.

    "It's perfect out here today." I beamed, enjoying the feel of the soft breeze embracing my skin. "We're going to get so tanned today."

    Laurel noisily gulped down her soda and nodded.

    "I'm so pale." she examined her skin.

    "Yes, you are." Kimmy snickered with amusement.

    "Why are you walking backwards?" Laurel ignored Kimmy's comment.

    "It's more fun." I claimed, continuing on.

    Laurel gave me a cautious look, as if to beg me to turn around and walk forward.

    "Erin." she whispered loudly.

    Before I could answer her, I slammed straight into someone behind me. I tumbled to the ground, but before my body could collide with the ground, two arms hoisted me up. I brushed myself off before looking at the traitor.

    Ryan.

    I couldn't even speak.

    He examined me, scanning my skin for scratches.

    "My bad," he smiled.

    My bad? That's all he had to say?

    "It's cool," I attempted to catch my breath.

    "Oh, hey, Laurel," he spotted his betraying cousin.

    She weakly smiled back, refusing to look him in the eye, the way I was.

    "Well, we'd better go. Mark is taking us to the movies later." Kimmy saved me, grabbing my arm and leading me away.

 

 

    "Are you okay?" Kimmy sat me on the couch as we arrived home. "That was really unexpected."

    "I tried to warn you to turn around." Laurel crossed her arms angrily. "You completely busted me."

    "Well sorry," I rolled my eyes. "Anyways, yes, I'm fine. It's not like we had an awkward conversation or anything."

    "Still, that was extremely awkward and uncomfortable." Kimmy sighed with relief.

    "You could've avoided it." Laurel added in a snotty tone.

    "Shut up," Kimmy rolled her eyes. "Anyways, if you need to talk about it, I'm here."

    "Thanks, but I just need to be alone for a little bit. That shook me up a little." I said goodbye to Laurel and went upstairs to my room.

 

 

    The next morning, I couldn't stand to be stuck in that apartment any longer. I slipped on some jeans, a t-shirt, and a thin sweatshirt and headed out the door. It had been raining all night, making the air moist, and simply lovely. There was a cafe just down the street, so I decided to go and have a latte by myself to calm down a little.

    I sat at my table, replaying what had happened yesterday with Ryan in my head dozens of times. It really wasn't that big of a deal, but I couldn't let go of it. The whole thing with him, and with Rachel, was eating me alive. I wanted to move back to San Diego. No, scratch that, I wanted to move to Mars.

    What made it worse? When I was at the climax of my anxiety, the door of the cafe opened, and in entered Ryan. He ordered something, and then stood leaning against the counter, looking around. When he spotted me, he smiled, then turned back around to take his beverage.

    I got myself together before I burst into tears, trying not to give Ryan even a glance. Unfortunately, the plan was soon tarnished.

    He walked right over to my table, and took a seat across from me.

    "Mind if I join you?" he grinned, and set his coffee cup on a coaster in front of him.

    Oh no.



© 2011 Karli


Author's Note

Karli
I've never gotten anywhere near this far on a book. :) I'm pretty proud of myself, even if the book sucks, because I've actually put so much effort into it. So, feedback (positive) is a huge help! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I WONDER WHAT ON EARTH HAPPENS NEXT AND I LOVED THAT SHE RAN INTO HIM!!!! :P

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

198 Views
1 Review
Added on February 4, 2011
Last Updated on February 4, 2011


Author

Karli
Karli

About
My name is Karli. Jesus. Youth Ministry. Europe. "He has told you what is good...do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with your God."-Micah 6:8. more..

Writing