Chapter Ten: Hushed Play-Dates

Chapter Ten: Hushed Play-Dates

A Chapter by Karli
"

Chapter Ten of Hold Your Peace

"

    Surely enough, Ryan called within three days. He'd always been good about that. Even when we were just beginning to date, if he said he would call, he meant it. It was just another thing I missed about him. I knew in my heart he belonged to me. It wasn't about competition. Rachel would get her happy ending. For the first time in my life, I was going to claim what was mine.

    Ryan had asked me to dinner tonight at seven thirty. We decided to go to a casual restaurant a few blocks away, keeping the evening as friendly as possible. I agreed not to inform Kimmy or Laurel, and he agreed not to say a word about this outing to Rachel.

    Once five-thirty in the afternoon arrived, I stole away from Kimmy. She and I had been talking all day, and watching old movies. I told her I had to go get something as I snuck a shower in. I made sure to wash my hair twice, and rinse with both hot and cold water. Kimmy had taught me long ago that rinsing with cold water helped add shine to your hair.

    Six forty-five came. I began to grow nervous, and restless, as I sifted through my closet, searching for an outfit. It couldn't be too alluring, or I'd look like I was being all romantic. I wasn't going to show up in old baggy pants  and a t-shirt either, making this decision very difficult. I decided on my nicest pair of jeans, and a decent, cute white shirt. Laurel had picked it out while we were shopping last week, and left it here by mistake. I slipped on just a tad bit of lip gloss, applied a little eyeliner, and pinned gold stud earrings into my ears, completing my ensemble.

    Finally, it was time to go. I felt as if this was a stepping stone for the rest of my life. One day, I could very well be with Ryan, the true love of my whole existence. We could be married, have kids, and even have a porch that wrapped around our house so that we could drink tea and watch the sun go down.

    I had to stop watching The Notebook.

    While driving to the restaurant, my hands trembled on the wheel. This was do or die. It very well could've been die if I didnt steady my fingers.

    I walked slowly into the diner, taking deep breaths and trying to calm my nerves. A waiter held the door open for me as I strolled gracefully inside.

    "Name, please?" a man behind a podium grabbed a clipboard.

    "I'm here to meet Ryan Drake," I told him. "He should be here."

    "Yes, right this way." the man lead me to a table in back, sort of secluded in a sly way from everyone else.

    "Thank you," I smiled gratefully at the man before sitting down.

    We met eyes for a second before saying our "hello's".

    "How was your day?" I asked, setting my purse down and removing my sweater.

    "Exhuasting." he rolled his eyes and laughed.

    Another thing I loved about him? He didn't have boring answers. Never in my life had he just said "fine" when I asked him how his day was, or said "nothing much" when I asked him what was up.

    "How so?" I asked, picking up my menu.

    "Just all this wedding planning. Rachel's trying to make me do so much. It's starting to annoy me." he explained.

    Little did Rachel know, she was completely setting the trap for me. I could get Ryan back easily, and she wouldn't even know she helped me out. Serves her right.

    "That's no fun." I gave the sweetest smile possible. He smiled at the sight of me, giving me chills. I had an amazing feeling that somewhere inside of him, he still loved me. "Kimmy's pregnant."

    "That's amazing," he grinned widely.

    "I'm so excited for her." I continued. "If she has a girl, she's going to name her Elizabeth, since it's my middle name."

    "You two have always been so close." he added as the waiter came to our table.

    "What will it be tonight?" he asked.

   We ordered our meals before resuming our conversation.

    "Have we been here before?" I scanned restaurant.

    "Our first summer we spent here, after we started college." he reminded me. "We came here the first night."

    "I remember that!" my eyebrows raised. "I remember there was a fight in the bar and glass flew out to our table."

    "That night was crazy." he laughed, looking around. "I remember afterwards, we went down to the beach and got in the water, clothes and all."

    I laughed, basking in the memories of us.

    "That was your idea," I pointed out. "We ended up not being able to wear those clothes again."

    "They were nice clothes." he chuckled, leaning his arms on the table.

    Our conversations were so natural. As much as I just wanted to steal him away from Rachel, really, what I needed was to be with Ryan. Truly, it just wouldn't feel right if I loved someone else. I don't even think I could love someone other than Ryan.

    We continued speaking of our old memories, not even feeling sorry for ourselves. No feelings of pain struck my heart during the conversation. Instead, I felt inspired. Life could be this amazing if Ryan and I were together, sharing our lives. That had been our dream for six years. Why should it end here?

    I'll tell you why. Rachel ruins everything.

    "What the hell is going on here?" a nasily voice cried out. I turned around to see Rachel taking big strides over to our table. Why was she everywhere I went. "Ryan, you're out with her?"

    "She has a name." Ryan didn't even look at her.

    "I don't care!" Rachel growled. "Erin, I don't know what you think you're doing, but I don't want you messing around with him!"

   "Who said anything about messing around?" I narrowed my eyes. "You're just being paranoid."

    "Seriously," Ryan pursed his lips and rolled his eyes. "Rachel, if you want to be all mad, do it later. I'm not going to argue with you right here."

    What amazes me is that he kept completely calm. If it weren't for him, Rachel and I would've already been at a screaming match. He barely even took a peek at her.

    "No! Ryan, I forbid you to see Erin." she announced.

    All he could do was laugh right in her face.

    "I don't believe you rule me, Rachel." he told her, an artifical frown striking his gorgeous face.

    "Fine, be that way." she snapped. "I'll see you tomorrow."

    "She's so annoying." He shook his head.

    We continued on without her, thankfully. She wasn't going to influence the rest of our time together. A part of me felt honestly sorry for Rachel. She needed to grow up. I don't think she really knew what love was, just possession...and obsession.

   When dinner was through, we walked out to the parking lot. The fact that we took separate cars made it a bit awkward. Being a gentleman, he walked me to my car.

    "Tonight was a nice night," he smiled. His big, caramel brown eyes twinkled in the light of the full moon tonight, melting my heart. "We should do this again some time."

   "Yes, we should." I agreed and grinned in spite of myself. "I'll keep in touch."

    "Drive safe." he reminded me before an awkward silence could brew between us.

    "You too." I brushed a strand of hair out of my face. He bent down and kissed my cheek before walking away.

    God, he was so sweet. He probably meant nothing by it, but it was adorable how sweet he was, really. I didn't mean to sound cheesy, but it was amazing.

    I attempted to sneak past Kimmy as I got home, but inevitably failed. She stopped me right before I reached the stairs.

    "You were out with Ryan." she crossed her arms.

    "How did you know?" I gasped with shock.

    "Laurel came over earlier. She said Rachel told her that she caught you two out. Plus, you just confirmed that you were out with him." she explained, trying to hide a grin.

    "Okay, I was." I confessed, tightening my eyes shut.

    "Erin!" she began a lecture.

    "I know, I know," I threw my hands up in surrender. "I'll be careful, Kimmy. Just trust me."

    "I just don't want to see you hurt." she hugged me goodnight.

    Lying in my bed that night, all I could do was replay the entire night, minus the whole Rachel ordeal. My favorite part was his kiss. It brought me back to a time where everything was right in the world, at least for me. I had my partner-in-crime, Ryan, always by my side in those days. He belonged here now.

    Rachel may have claimed him, but I wouldn't go down without a good fight.

   

   



© 2011 Karli


Author's Note

Karli
Chapter Ten:) So, I'm a little too excited about getting this far on a book. Positive feedback?:)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

So, I'm totally hooked!!! And it's amazing how I can't stop reading this book!!! I'm afraid I'll read the whole thing today!! :P

Posted 12 Years Ago


Omg, a lot of chapters, a lot of writing! and its awesome!
I'm addicted lol

Posted 13 Years Ago


i love it so far :)

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

212 Views
3 Reviews
Added on February 5, 2011
Last Updated on February 5, 2011


Author

Karli
Karli

About
My name is Karli. Jesus. Youth Ministry. Europe. "He has told you what is good...do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with your God."-Micah 6:8. more..

Writing