Chapter Nineteen: Speak Now

Chapter Nineteen: Speak Now

A Chapter by Karli
"

Chapter Nineteen of Hold Your Peace

"

    “You ready?” Laurel entered my room.

    I’d used the past few days to calm myself from everything that had happened these past few months. The past few years, my life has gone from perfect, to less than perfect, to rock bottom, to peaceful. Once this wedding was over, I never had to worry about Ryan Drake again.

    Right?

    “Yes,” I sighed and attempted to smile. I had chosen to wear my best red cocktail dress, and I’d straightened my jet-black hair past my shoulders. Kimmy had helped me put on the most subtle make-up available. “Let’s do this.”

    Laurel looked precious. Rachel had refused to make her a bridesmaid, for a reason I didn’t know. She was wearing a white sundress with gold heels. Her blonde hair was in waves, completing her summer look. Kimmy was simply in dress pants and a blouse, refusing to dress to nicely for Rachel’s wedding.

    “You’ll be okay.” Laurel hugged me, and greeted Kimmy.

 

 

    The wedding was beautiful. It was to be taken place behind a country club, in an absolutely lovely garden next to a lake. If it would’ve been my wedding, we would’ve gotten married at the beach. That had been my lifelong dream.

    “I wonder where Rachel is?” Laurel scanned the club as we passed through. We had to exit through the back door. “I thought she’d be down here ordering everyone around.”

    I felt a sudden urge come over me. There was one last thing I had to do before I let Ryan marry another woman. As much as it hurt, there wasn’t a way I’d feel comfortable without completing the task.

    “You guys,” I felt afraid. “Save me a seat. I’ve got to do something.”

    “What?” Kimmy gave me a suspicious look.

    “Just trust me.” I begged and stole away before they could speak again.

    I walked up the decorated stair case, feeling my heart pound like never before. A feeling of self-consciousness overpowered me, as I felt like everyone around me could hear my drumming heart, and my inner thoughts.

    Once upstairs, I found Rachel in a room, getting her hair done. I snuck past and into the room down the hall, where Ryan was sitting alone on a bench. He was dressed in black tie attire, which looked delicious on him.

    “Hi,” I smiled and came to sit next to him.

    “Hey,” he grinned and leaned over to hug me. “What are you doing here?”

    “I feel like I haven’t been too fair these past few months.” I began, feeling the bravery to look him straight in the eye. “You know I’ll always love you. Even though we’re no longer together, I don’t want you to have a life anything short of amazing.”

    “I’d say the same for you,” he placed a hand on me knee.

    Two tears fell, and I silently wept as we continued.

    “I just want you to be happy,” I was able to say. “Even if that means you marrying my biggest enemy, I’m happy for you.”

    “Thank you, Erin.” he wrapped and arm around me. “I love you. I’ll always love you, even if I’m marrying someone else.”

    “I guess I’d better go.” I wiped my eyes and stood from the seat. He stood up to hug me, and I tried not to hold too tight. I knew I’d never be held the same way by Ryan again, and it killed me. I pulled back after a moment and kissed his cheek. “Goodbye.”

 

 

 

    “Are you okay?” Kimmy grabbed my hand as I between her and Laurel.

    “I’m fine.” I knew everything was for the best.

    “Mark’s here,” Kimmy motioned next to her.

    “Hey, Mark,” I grinned.

    “Hi, Erin.” he smiled in return.

   The bridesmaids were strolling down the aisle lazily. I glared at their disgusting chocolate brown dresses. As much as I knew everything was for the best, my heart belonged to Ryan. I could never truly take it back.

    Ryan walked down the aisle with his parents, whom I’d never met. I kept my eyes off of him until he reached the altar.

    The organ by the altar began Pachabel’s Canon, which was what I was dreading most. Rachel glided down the aisle with grace. She actually looked pretty, which I’d never expected of her, even on the most important of days.

    “Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today,” the elderly minister began. I felt sick to my stomach.

    I would truly be happy for Ryan, if he was in love. I’d still be in pain of massive proportions, but I would be at peace. He didn’t love Rachel. Anyone could see that.

    “Before we begin, it’s an honored tradition to ask, if anyone opposes the marriage of Ryan Drake and Rachel Pole,” the minister went on. This was the question that seemed to speak to me. “Speak now, or forever hold your peace.”

    I watched as Rachel scanned the crowd, specifically eyeing me. I gave her a look, letting her know I wouldn’t steal this moment from her. As much as I wanted to, it wasn’t right.

Ryan fidgeted, and let go of Rachel’s hand.

    “I have something to say.” he took a step down into the crowd.

    “Honey,” Rachel forced a smile and gritted her teeth. “What are you doing?”

    “I’ve realized something these past few years.” he explained, his voice toned to sound like a speech. “There’s only one person in this world for me. That may not be true for everyone, but it is for me.”

    Laurel gasped and glanced my way.

    “You’d better mean me.” Rachel hissed.

    “I’m sorry, Rachel.” he shook his head. “I don’t.”

    “Ryan, are you sure you want to do this?” the minister cut in.

    “Hear me out,” Ryan confirmed. “Everyone here who knows me, knows I’m in love. I’ve been in love for a long time. My heart belongs to Erin Sanders.”

My eyes widened.

    I blinked to try to come back to reality, but he was still standing there talking.

    “Rachel, even you know that.” he said apologetically. “Erin.”

    I watched as his eyes fixed on me.

    “I love you.” he smiled.

    Everyone’s eyes were on me, horrified.

    I got up, and walked towards him.

    “Ryan,” I was speechless. “You don’t have to do this.”

    “Believe me,” he grabbed my hand. “I have to.”

    “I’ll kill her.” Rachel mumbled.

    “You’re the only person my heart is capable of loving.” he explained, not taking his eyes off of mine. Before I knew what was happening, he was down on one knee. “Will you marry me? The right away?”

    Nothing about his voice was frantic. It was so warm, and gentle. Surprisingly, I wasn’t shocked, or speechless. I didn’t care if everyone was staring, or if their jaws had dropped to the ground. Nothing mattered anymore.

    “Yes.” I allowed a tear to fall as he stood up, took me in his arms, and kissed me with all the love in the world.

    Instead of hearing hushed whispered, I heard applause. It seemed to be in the distance, as I felt completely content with just standing here with him.

    “Can I say something?” Rachel pleaded as we finally pulled away.

    “Sure.” I granted hesitantly.

    “I can’t be angry.” she sighed.

    To my surprise, she was grinning.

    “I know Ryan never truly loved me. I don’t even know why we’re doing this. You two are meant to be together, and I never wanted to accept it. I know this will happen for me one day.” she explained. “I wish you the best.”

    “Thanks,” I grinned and pulled away from Ryan’s arms to hug her.

    Never in my life did I think I’d hug Rachel.

    I looked over to Kimmy and Laurel, who looked overjoyed.

    “Well, everyone, there’s plenty of food in the country club. Help yourselves.” Ryan granted to the crowd. Everyone ran into the place like wild animals. “We have a trip to San Diego to take.”

“Yes, we do.” the permanent grin on my face grew as we kissed again, holding each other tightly.

    Everything was right in the world.



© 2011 Karli


Author's Note

Karli
The next chapter is the last:(
Feedback:)
Also, the song Speak Now by Taylor Swift is what inspired this story. :)

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Aw!!!!! :D LOVED it!!!! And that's great! I wish I had the idea for that before you! :P

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

278 Views
1 Review
Added on February 6, 2011
Last Updated on February 6, 2011


Author

Karli
Karli

About
My name is Karli. Jesus. Youth Ministry. Europe. "He has told you what is good...do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with your God."-Micah 6:8. more..

Writing