Daniel's Early Days

Daniel's Early Days

A Chapter by Kjerstina House
"

Ch 5: The Spirit Within-Before Daniel became a powerful Mage, he was just a boy. Follow Daniel from the beginning as he receives his powers, has many adventures, and learns what true power really is.

"

Instantaneously, Daniel pulled his hand back in shock. The dragon had never moved on its own before, but this time, as soon as his fingers made contact with the metal the head practically lunged toward his fingers. Although it didn’t have real teeth, Daniel was quite sure the improvised metal ones would still hurt.

            After the initial shock wore off, Daniel figured he must have imagined it. His imagination did seem to be running away with his today. The dragon was as still as a statue again, completely normal. He blinked hard a few times; trying to shake the image he conjured of the dragon attacking his hand. Raising his head, he made eye contact with his grandmother.

            “Take it,” she urged. Still, Daniel hesitated. Normally, he wasn’t this reticent, but after his eerie encounter with the hobgoblin in the woods he was feeling a little jumpy. “You have to hold it to complete the spell,” she explained. “It needs your touch to finish the transformation into your personal talisman,” she clarified.

His nervousness seemed to be fueled by his excitement, and he couldn’t help but be both anxious and delighted. Before he lost his nerve, Daniel snatched the dragon up, careful to hold it out at arm’s length in front of him. For a brief moment, nothing happened, and Daniel felt a wave of disappointment. What little boy wouldn’t like a dragon of his very own?

Worried he had done something wrong, Daniel’s eyes flicked back to his grandma’s; looking for her support. She appeared to be concentrating on the dragon, and Daniel figured she was putting the finishing touches on the spell. He cringed slightly wondering if perhaps there would be another explosion. As soon as he thought it, he brushed the thought away; he knew his grandma would never put him in danger like that. When he looked back down, his heart practically jumped into his throat. The metallic dragon had bent its head into his palm, and appeared to be silently sniffing him.

A thrill raced through Daniel, from his chest to his toes. Although his adrenaline was pumping, he did his best to stay still. The metal dragon began nuzzling his slightly curled fingertips. Relishing in the feel and movement of the dragon, Daniel was amazed when he realized that the metal was warm now, instead of the cool surface he was used to.

Tentatively, he reached out a trembling finger from his free hand, and stroked the smooth back. The dragon whipped its head around almost causing Daniel to drop it. Regaining his composure quickly this time, Daniel laughed. The dragon didn’t seem to notice, and it slid its way around his finger, leaning into the finger like a cat.

Quip had joined his grandmother, and they were both watching in delight. “Well done, Loma,” he praised. “Minus that little explosion,” he chuckled dryly.

Daniel’s grandmother ignored the dig, and beamed proudly. “Some of my finest work,” she clucked happily. “Especially, where talismans are concerned,” she added. “I do love trying out old spells”.

By this time, the dragon had scaled its way up Daniel’s arm and onto his shoulder, tickling him the whole way. There it seemed to be testing its metal wings; spreading them wide, then folding them back up, and tucking them back against its body.

Without warning, the dragon leapt from Daniel’s shoulder, spread its wings, and soared down. Alarmed, Daniel’s reflexes made him jump, and reach out in attempt to catch it. Just as it was about to hit the floor, it pumped its wings several times, and climbed back into the air.

“Wow,” Daniel breathed. He watched the dragon circle around the room for a minute before turning back to his grandma. “This is the best Birthday present ever!” he cried.

She just smiled at him, so he turned his attention back to the flying dragon. Finally, satisfied with its flying capabilities, the dragon returned to perch on Daniel’s shoulder.

“She will be your protector, your confidant, and your teacher,” she declared.

“She?” Daniel asked. Not sure why he had just assumed the dragon was a boy.

“Yes, she,” his grandma admonished wagging a finger at him. “She was the wisest and most powerful dragon of her time,” she said proudly. “You are very lucky she agreed to this arrangement,” she acknowledged, fixing Daniel with a look that said “make me proud”.

“Of her time?” Daniel wondered what on Earth his grandma was talking about. What time?

“Yes, I found a spell to call up a willing spirit, and imbue it into an enchanted object,” she explained concisely. “Daniel, I’d like you to meet Pearl.” 



© 2014 Kjerstina House


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

309 Views
Added on October 1, 2014
Last Updated on October 1, 2014
Tags: fantasy, wizard, witch, magic, magical realm, brownies, elves, goblins, dragons

Daniel's Early Days: A Young Wizard's Story