Daniel's Early Days

Daniel's Early Days

A Chapter by Kjerstina House
"

Ch14 Into the Forest-Before Daniel became a powerful Mage, he was just a boy. Follow him from the beginning as he receives his powers, embarks on many adventures, and learns what true power really is.

"

“You might want to come as well,” he nodded toward his wife. “Word is something is trapped, and has been struggling to free itself for a while. Might need a healer,” he said pointedly.

As they hurried to the stairs, Pearl soared back to her favorite perch on Daniel’s shoulder. Daniel could barely contain his excitement. He was actually being allowed to go into the forbidden forest! Not only was he getting permission from his parents, but they were going on a rescue mission.

As far as his parents knew this was his first time entering the woods, and Daniel didn’t think they would have any reason to think otherwise; he was practically flying through the house he was so excited.

“Slow down,” his mother called from somewhere behind him. Daniel did his best to restrain himself, but he still beat his parents outside. Without looking back, he raced across the yard to the tree line.

The trees spread out in front of him like an alluring emerald ocean. Undulating back and forth in the wind, the trees seemed to be beckoning him; inviting him into their waves. Tentatively, Daniel reached a hand out; testing the air for the barrier his parents had put up. He was momentarily dismayed when his fingertips bumped up against the invisible wall, but instantly cheered up when he heard the screen door squeak open.  

He turned back to tell them to hurry, and watched them share an amused look. They weren’t exactly taking their time crossing the expansive back yard, but Daniel felt that they were not moving fast enough. Shifting his weight from one foot to another, he fidgeted uncontrollably causing Pearl to almost lose her balance on his shoulder. He couldn’t help it, this was more exciting than Christmas morning.   

Daniel was practically ready to burst by the time they reached the trees. “First things first,” his Mom began. “We are going to set some ground rules,” she declared, raising a finger in the air almost like she was going to write the rules in the air. “We stay together, first and foremost. Second, you have to follow directions, no questions asked. Agreed?”

Daniel nodded fervently, itching to get started. Always the cautious one, his mother raised an eyebrow and waited for the promise. Daniel gave it, and looked to his dad to see if he had any further directives. “Don’t forget your protective sphere, that’s always a failsafe form of protection,” he advocated with a wink.

“And, trust your instincts,” his mother added abruptly. “That is extremely important! If you feel something is wrong, then something is wrong.” With a quick stern look, his mother turned away to face the forest. Eyes closed, she pressed her palms together, pushed them to the sky, then out to her sides in a wide swooping motion. She finished by bringing them back together in front of her chest.

This was something Daniel had seen her do before, but was no less intriguing. She was preparing herself in hopes for a vision. With baited breath, Daniel waited to see what would happen. Sometimes a vision would immediately follow this action, but apparently not today. After several heartbeats her eyes popped open, and she turned to her husband with a slight shake of her head.

“Ready?” he asked, reaching out to give her hand a squeeze.

“Ready.”

“Ready,” Daniel chimed in enthusiastically. His father waved his free hand in the air like he was brushing pesky cobwebs out of his way. A glittering sprinkle of fine particles flashed in the sunlight as it floated to the ground. Daniel reached out to catch it, but it passed right through his hand, and settled on the forest floor. “Cool,” he whispered.

As a family, they entered the forest together. They stopped just inside the tree line, allowing their eyes to adjust to the subdued light. Directly in front of them, was a bramble of thorn bushes so thick Daniel couldn’t see anything beyond. The bushes rose above his father’s head and spread out thickly on both sides as far as the eye could see. Daniel must have lucked out the first time he entered; coming upon a gap in the wall of thorns.

Although young, and at this moment over stimulated, Daniel suddenly appreciated the fact that the forest and his family shared a name. He had always assumed that his ancestors had named the forest after themselves, but seeing how the forest was riddled with thorns, he considered the possibility that it had already been called The Thorn Woods. Granted, that couldn’t have been the original name, which only made him wonder what the Native American’s called this forest before his ancestors settled here.

Daniel knew the story. In fact, he had heard it many times. His father’s family had been here for seventeen generations. Although, most of the earliest settlers stayed together, strength in numbers and all that, his ancestors spread out. The infamous witch trials that infected Europe had cause many of his family to go into hiding. Eager to leave that behind, they sailed here: to a new world. Hoping to avoid the same problem they knew might follow them here, they didn’t settle with their pioneer brothers.

However, keeping their magic secret was only part of the reason they travelled so far in hazardous terrain. They were also searching for something. Something they called Conduits; places on the Earth where power coalesced and was easily accessible if needed.

Daniel had been proudly named after the very earliest pioneer of his family: Daniel Thorn. He had barely escaped with his life when his family had been burned at the stake. After months of running, he eventually snuck aboard a ship travelling for the New World. During those bitter months at sea, he used his magic to keep him hidden and alive while crossing the treacherous divide.

When he arrived to his new life, he immediately set off again; travelling down the coast, alone. Somewhere along the way, he met a Native American girl and they settled inland, by these very woods, where they started a family. It was speculated that she may have known about the magic in this forest and shared it with him.

 Daniel’s father insisted that understanding history was a vital part of Daniel’s education, and more importantly, that family was everything. Therefore, Daniel learned the history of his family at a young age, and was often told family stories that doubled as life lessons about family members long since passed.

“I may have a few stories for you, as well,” Pearl added to his thoughts. “I knew some of your ancestors.” Pearl must have heard his ruminating and apprehended that he might enjoy hearing family stories long forgotten.

 

“This way,” his father beckoned, putting to rest Daniel’s thoughts of the past. His mother led the way, and Daniel assumed that they would be heading for the break in the thorns that he had happened upon earlier. Instead, his mother appeared to pass right through the sharp protrusions and swiftly disappeared.

His father turned to wink at him before he slipped a hand into the thorns and quickly back out again. “This part in the wall of thorns is only for show; a mirage if you will. You can step right through unhindered and come out on the other side unscathed,” he explained with a boyish grin. 

“Wicked,” Daniel said in awe. His father motioned for him to go first, and Daniel eagerly passed through the projected thorns. His mother was waiting for him on the other side, and his father quickly joined them. “Is this the only way through the thorns?” Daniel asked curiously.

His parents shared a look and Daniel had a feeling they were talking to each other without words; purposefully keeping their discussion from him. Their eyes locked and stayed that way a full minute, before his father broke eye contact and turned to Daniel.

“Not exactly, but it would be dangerous for you to try and find your way into these woods alone,” he pointed out. “We should hurry,” he changed the subject abruptly.

They continued on, and even though his parents kept a brisk pace, Daniel did his best to soak in every detail of the woods around him. The swooping braches were absolutely covered in Spanish moss, but were somehow still thriving. The filtered light didn’t allow for much grass, but there were large patches of fuzzy, dark moss spread out like a thick carpet. Sprouting along the forest floor were bushy ferns and various undergrowth that Daniel didn’t recognize, along with an occasional thorn bush. The forest smelled invigorating. Daniel couldn’t place the exact smell, but he enjoyed it nonetheless.

His father took the lead. At first, he angled right. They kept on in almost a straight line for a while; the trees in this part of the forest were sprawled out southern style. The expansive oaks slowly gave way to taller, denser trees causing his father to weave in and around them. Daniel quickly lost all sense of direction, and had to concentrate on not tripping over exposed roots and ducking the occasional low branch. 

Daniel heard the water before he saw it. They entered a small clearing, intersected by a rushing river. Sunlight streamed down and danced off the crests of water, winking like diamonds. Immediately drawn to the river, Daniel rushed forward to get a better look. The mostly bare earth had transformed into lush green grass peppered with small boulders. The rocks were in various stages of immersion into the ground, and those closest to the water were covered in a lighter, springy looking kind of moss.

The river was rocky as well, and the water parted and rushed around large boulders that were wedge into the river bottom. Daniel watched the water as it hurried along and disappeared into the trees’ shade. Curious, he glanced upstream, and that’s when he saw it.



© 2014 Kjerstina House


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

369 Views
Added on October 22, 2014
Last Updated on October 22, 2014
Tags: wizard, family, magic, magical realm, dragon, witch, brownies, forest, spells

Daniel's Early Days: A Young Wizard's Story