Daniel's Early Days

Daniel's Early Days

A Chapter by Kjerstina House
"

Ch.15 Winged Creature-Before Daniel became a powerful Mage, he was just a boy. Follow him from the beginning as he receives his powers, embarks on many adventures, and learns what true power really is

"

At first glance, Daniel thought it was some kind of giant bird. There were feathers scattered in the grass below a giant black wing. The wing was spread out awkwardly; effectively concealing the body. The feathered wing was caught in some kind of barbed snare along with a hairy…hoof.

Wait, that couldn’t be right. Daniel couldn’t understand what he was seeing, so he crept closer. Was that really a hoof? With a huff and a neigh, the creature turned slightly, and Daniel finally got a better look at it.

It wasn’t a bird at all, it was a black horse. Glossy, black hair covered its whole body, except its giant wings; they were covered in black feathers that caught the light and shimmered a rainbow of dark colors like oil. Long hair encompassed the feet so completely; Daniel couldn’t even see the hooves on the ground. It tossed its silky mane back and forth impatiently, and flicked its tail angrily.

“A Pegasus,” Pearl whispered, her metal dragon frame quivering slightly. The first words Pearl had uttered aloud in several hours. She was clearly surprised, that was obvious by her tone, but it was more than that; she was delighted. Her unusual demeanor spoke volumes. Unable to restrain herself, she began to spread her wings before she decided against it and settled back on his shoulder. That she was excited was beyond a doubt, but Daniel could tell there was more to it. He could sense it from her as easily as he could tell that the winged horse, or pegasus, was terrified.

When the pegasus noticed it was no longer alone, it started bucking its trapped leg frantically in a last attempt at freedom. The back leg was drawn back and up; bounded by what looked like barbed wire hanging from a nearby tree. Somehow, the tip of the wing had gotten swept up in the snare as well.

Daniel’s father began inching forward, displaying his palms in a gesture of peace, but the pegasus was beyond consolable. Flapping wildly, the wing finally ripped free spraying black feathers in a puff. Now able, both wings unfolded and spread wide. Daniel gaped in awe at the huge wingspan, and his father took a small step back.

With the wing out Daniel figured the leg would fall free. But, instead of creating room in the loop, it only cinched up tighter, piercing the leg painfully. The winged horse let out an anguished cry that sent chills down Daniel’s spine. Pearl’s tiny metallic body shuddered as well; trembling slightly on Daniel’s shoulder.

By now, his father was standing directly in front of the pegasus, and slowly inching closer. Wild eyed, the winged horse tried unsuccessfully to back away from him. But then something strange happened; a deep calm seemed to settle on the forest. The breeze died away, the birds ceased their song, and even the thunderous river was muted to a dull roar.

The frightened animal calmed as well. Bloodshot eyes closed slowly, and the horse body visibly relaxed, while the bird wings gently folded into the body. His father had his eyes closed too, and Daniel could only assume that he was communicating with the frightened animal.

Slowly, his father closed the gap between them and placed a gentle hand on the pegasus’s downturned head. Without hesitation, Daniel’s father pressed his forehead against the pegasus’s, and they remained that way for several moments. Without breaking contact, he gestured his wife forward.

Daniel watched her move forward, and was shocked to see that she was holding a sharp knife in her right hand. With fluid motions, she quickly positioned herself behind the trapped leg. Carefully, she grabbed the barbed rope that was holding the back leg aloft, and in one quick motion, she deftly sliced the thick rope asunder. Then, she slowly began lowering the leg, mindful not to get pierced by the sharp protrusions running the length of the rope.

At that, the big horse eyes snapped open, but they were no longer wild and bloodshot. The pegasus stamped its back leg and flicked its hoof impatiently. The loop’s barbs were still embedded into the skin, and wouldn’t dislodge no matter what the pegasus did. Daniel watched as his mother rubbed a hand soothingly along the pegasus’s back, effectively calming it, before she reached down, expertly slipped the flat edge of the blade along the leg and quickly sliced the remaining trappings off. 

The black head swayed to the side to get a better look, but other than that the animal seemed completely at ease. One hand still on its back, she slipped the knife into a small sheath on her hip that had been concealed by her shirt. She slid her hand down the animal’s leg as she crouched down next to the injury. Quickly assessing the damage, she lightly covered the wounds with her other hand and shut her eyes. An effervescent blue glow seeped out between her closed fingers while she silently worked her magic.

When she removed her hand, the puncture wounds were gone, replaced by healthy looking pink scars. The pegasus raised its leg up and down; testing it. Clearly happy with the outcome, it swung around and nuzzled against Daniel’s mother causing her to lose her balance and almost fall over. She laughed and affectionately rubbed the Pegasus’s forehead in return.

Daniel’s father strode over and helped her up. The wounded wing didn’t appear to be broken. It was tucked proficiently against the body, but the tip looked ravaged; there were several puncture wounds bleeding freely, made only more obvious due to the fact that many feathers had been tore out. Daniel’s mother began attending to the wing, but his father turned to him and waved him over.

            Daniel started to walk over, but the Pegasus suddenly turned its attention toward Daniel and stopped him in his tracks. It locked eyes with Daniel, and he suddenly felt extremely exposed. The creature was studying him, and Daniel knew it. The dark eyes were a piercing pitch black, but somehow strangely inviting.

That’s when Daniel heard something strange. For the second time today, a stranger’s voice reverberated inside his head. This one was decidedly male, but somehow soft and melodic nonetheless.

“You there, boy, come closer,” it demanded. 



© 2014 Kjerstina House


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

457 Views
Added on October 23, 2014
Last Updated on October 23, 2014
Tags: wizard, family, magic, magical realm, dragon, witch, brownies, forest, spells, pegasus

Daniel's Early Days: A Young Wizard's Story