Daniel's Early Days

Daniel's Early Days

A Chapter by Kjerstina House
"

Ch16 Can You Hear Me-Before Daniel became a powerful Mage, he was just a boy. Follow him from the beginning as he receives his powers, embarks on many adventures, and learns what true power really is.

"

Daniel felt strangely hypnotized by those compelling black eyes. Still, it was by his own volition that he closed the gap between himself and the winged horse. He was immensely curious about this creature that Pearl called a Pegasus, and even more so due to the fact that it had just summoned him telepathically. Pearl was the only one he had ever shared thoughts with, and she was his personal talisman.

Daniel stood directly in front of the winged horse, waiting for it to speak to him again. His parents were still standing alongside the Pegasus tending to the damaged wing, but he knew his mother was still keeping an eye on him.

The Pegasus continued to scrutinize Daniel, succeeding in making him feel like the strange animal and not the other way around. Daniel took this opportunity to do his own analyzing. The Pegasus looked exactly like a black stallion, the larger breed with hairy hooves, except for the fact that it had giant feathered wings. It looked a lot bigger up close, and Daniel felt slightly intimidated by the fact the pegasus was towering over him. What made it more unnerving was the fact that the eyes were completely black, like deep pools of ink. Daniel could not make out pupil or iris.

“You can hear me, can you not?” the voice asked again in Daniel’s mind. The horse mouth didn’t move, but Daniel knew it was the Pegasus talking to him.

Daniel nodded.

“Do not be afraid,” the voice said kindly.

“I’m not afraid,” Daniel asserted a little too loudly. His parents shot him a look, and he hung his head slightly. He took a deep breath, and concentrated on answering without speaking. “I’m not afraid,” he refuted stubbornly in his own mind. “I’m just…curious.”

“Naturally,” the voice answered, as the Pegasus dipped its head in Daniel’s direction. “As am I of you,” it acknowledged.

“Me? Why?”

“Well for starters, you have a metal dragon clutched to your shoulder that is inhabited by the spirit of a very famous dragon.”

“How did you know that?”

“She told me,” the Pegasus nodded at Pearl respectfully. “But, more importantly is the fact that you are glowing with power. I’ve never met a wizard so young with so much power. You will be a great wizard.”

 Daniel looked down at himself to see if he actually was glowing. Of course, he was not. Although his tenth birthday was the day he finally got a taste of his power, he didn’t feel very powerful, especially now in face of this mighty beast; a giant black horse with the wings of a bird, and telepathic abilities that could rival his mother’s.  Those depthless black eyes were locked onto his, and Daniel found he could not look away. He knew those eyes could cut right through him to his very core and determine his worth.

“You are entirely correct; I can. On a lighter note, Happy Birthday,” the Pegasus added.

“Are you reading my mind?” Daniel thought to himself.

“Yes.”

“Well, stop it!” Daniel practically yelled. His parents looked up from the injured wing in concern. His mother started to get up, but his father placed a hand gently on her shoulder, and moved to stand beside his son.

“Is he reading your mind?” his father conjectured. Daniel nodded, but didn’t take his eyes off the creature in front of him. “And, you can hear him?” Daniel nodded in silent affirmation. “That is….awesome!” his father exclaimed, hugging Daniel to his side. With a proud smile, his mother joined them, wrapping her arm around his other side.

“That’s great, sweetie,” she chimed in.

“Does this mean I’m like you,” he nodded his mother, “Or, like you?” he asked looking up at his father. What he wanted to know is if he would be an accomplished telepath like his mother, or have an affinity for communicating with animals like his father.

“Could be either,” his mother answered happily.

“Or, both,” his father added.

“This is only the beginning,” his mother said softly.



© 2014 Kjerstina House


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

280 Views
Added on October 26, 2014
Last Updated on October 26, 2014
Tags: wizard, family, magic, magical realm, dragon, witch, brownies, forest, spells, pegasus

Daniel's Early Days: A Young Wizard's Story