Daniel's Early Days

Daniel's Early Days

A Chapter by Kjerstina House
"

Ch. 17 Pursued-Before Daniel became a powerful Mage, he was just a boy. Follow Daniel from the beginning as he receives his powers, embarks on many adventures, and learns what true power really is.

"

“I’ve done all I can do, for now,” his mother turned to address the Pegasus. “But, if you would like a salve to speed the recovery of your lost feathers I would be happy to whip one up for you.”

“That is very kind,” Daniel heard the voice again, but this time he had a feeling he wasn’t the only one that heard it. “No, I am speaking to all,” the pegasus answered. Daniel gritted his teeth and treated the Pegasus to an irritated look. “Apologies, I will do my best not to read your mind anymore, if that is your wish,” the pegasus promised. “I will come to you,” the Pegasus nodded toward Daniel’s mother. “But, not today; I have…unfinished business.”

Daniel’s parents shared another look, but no one said anything; at least no one said anything out loud. Daniel wondered if they were holding a private conversation telepathically, and whether the Pegasus could hear their thoughts as easily as he could hear his.

“What is your name?” Daniel blurted out, breaking the silence.

The Pegasus tilted its head to the side before answering, “You may call me Onyx.”

His father walked over and picked up the barbed rope that had previously trapped the Pegasus, and brought it around for the creature to see. “Onyx, does your unfinished business have anything to do with whoever set this trap?” The Pegasus backed away slightly, and nodded once in confirmation. Daniel was surprised that he didn’t recognize the rope for what is was from the start. Thorn switches braided together, creating a durable thorny rope.

“Do you know who did this?” his father asked.

“I could venture a guess,” the pegasus answered. “But, I will find out for sure soon enough. I thank you for your help, and your healing hand, my lady,” the pegasus’s voice echoed in their minds. He bowed his head low, before he turned around. Then, he stopped and swung his head back in their direction. “Best to get on home now,” he cautioned. “Undesirables have been out as of late, and it will be dark in the forest soon.” And, with that he sauntered away without looking back, quickly melting in the shadows of the trees.

“He’s right,” his father acknowledged. “Let’s go.” He threw down the rope of thorns in disgust and took his wife’s hand. Daniel’s mother gripped his hand firmly, and quickly whisked him away.

His parents kept a brisk pace on their return, and Daniel found he was busy with his own thoughts. He sincerely hoped he would get another chance to talk to Onyx, or even better, get a chance to ride him. Perhaps, there was other Pegasus living in the forest; it seemed unlikely that Onyx was the only one of his kind. The forest seemed to hold infinite possibilities.

Now that he was alone with his thoughts, Daniel could admit to himself that Onyx had intimidated him. But, what really scared him was the thought that something out in this forest was hunting and trapping a creature such as this.

Daniel would have looked to Pearl for answers, but she was silent and motionless on his shoulder. It felt as if she had somehow left her newfound shell. Perhaps, she had abandoned her metallic wings to fly free in her dragon spirit form. Daniel wasn’t sure if that was possible, but he had noticed her absence before. It seemed like a logical explanation to why he could no longer feel her presence even though the metal dragon was still perched on his shoulder.

As the sun sank to the horizon, the shadows of the forest lengthened considerably. His parents quickened their pace. His mother took point, and his father positioned himself in the rear; keeping Daniel safely in the middle. Daniel was beginning to wonder if they were ever going to get to the end of the forest. Finally, the wall of thorns became visible and Daniel actually felt relieved to be leaving the forest he so desperately wanted to enter.

That’s when he felt something unpleasant. He couldn’t place the feeling; it was something between anxiety and dread. The hair on the back of his neck stood up, and he felt like something was crawling on his skin. Goose bumps popped up all over his body. He stopped for a moment, and his father caught up to him.

“We’re almost there,” his father said coming to stand beside him. “Are you alright?”

Daniel nodded silently. He had no desire to stop and talk about it here and now. Besides, he didn’t want to admit to his father that on their first excursion into the forest he was getting a serious case of the creepy crawlies.  

They pressed on, and although the goose bumps subsided, the tiny hairs on the back of his neck would not go down. Just as Daniel could see the end of the forest, the waning sunlight periodically winking through the remaining trees, he felt Pearl’s presence return. His raw nerves ceased their chafing, and he felt his tensions melt considerably. He let out a sigh, grateful for this reprieve. Her return was like a breath of fresh air. “Where did you go?” he silently sent to her.

“Just for a look around; this forest is full of strange and wonderful things.”

“Did you see anything interesting?”

“Well, I noticed something strange that I think you should be aware of.”

“What?” Daniel asked. He had a sneaking suspicion that he already knew the answer.

“Something is following us.”



© 2014 Kjerstina House


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

361 Views
Added on October 26, 2014
Last Updated on October 26, 2014
Tags: wizard, family, magic, magical realm, dragon, witch, brownies, forest, spells, pegasus

Daniel's Early Days: A Young Wizard's Story