Daniel's Early Days: A Young Wizard's Story

Daniel's Early Days: A Young Wizard's Story

A Chapter by Kjerstina House
"

Ch. 21 Future Woes-Before Daniel became a powerful Mage, he was just a boy. Follow him from the beginning as he receives his powers, embarks on many adventures, and learns what true power really is.

"

“Me?” squeaked Daniel. “How do I get trapped in another world?”

“I’m not sure. It was only a brief glimpse. Visions aren’t always a clear picture,” his mother explained.

“So someday I will be stuck…over there?”

“Possibly someday; you were a bit older in the vision, but…”

“But, not necessarily,” his father jumped in. He looked to his wife for some support on the subject.

“No, it’s not for certain,” his mother agreed. “Visions are never set in stone. They are subject to all kinds of things. Every choice you make leads to another, and those choices can change the course of your life in many ways.”

“So, I just need to avoid crossing over into this other world; sounds simple enough.”

“Yes,” his father agreed. “Now, I understand that forbidden fruit is even more tempting, but I implore you to not go looking for the portal.”

“It would be best not to enter the forest at all,” his mother added. “There are creatures out there with the ability to…persuade. This is why we agreed not to tell you about this, but given what’s happened we think it is better that you understand the danger involved in exploring the forest.”

“Well, seeing how you know how to get past my wards, and I have a feeling you will work out a way around any new wards I can whip up, I am suggesting that we make a new rule: Never go into the forest alone.”

“Never go into the forest unsupervised,” his mother corrected. “Taking Jacob along with you does not make it any more safe,” his mother said pointedly. “In fact, you are not allowed to put him at risk either.” Jacob was Daniel’s best friend. His parents were old friends of Daniel’s parents. Plus, Daniel’s mother and Jacob’s mother were some sort of distant relatives.

Because of their abilities, magical families often homeschooled through eighth grade instead of sending their children to school with the other kids, this reduced the chance of them accidentally outing themselves.

 Jacob’s family took full advantage of the fact that he wasn’t enrolled in public school by travelling for weeks at a time. His parents were archeologists of magic; they spent their time searching and unearthing old magic. And because Daniel’s grandmother was always experimenting, she was like a kid at Christmas every time Jacob’s parents came back from one of their excursions.

“However, we will allow you to accompany us into the forest,” his father explained with a wink.

“This way you will see and learn many wonderful things, and still be under our protection,” his mother fostered. “Agreed?”

“Agreed,” Daniel accepted eagerly. If they were willing to take him into the forest, then he had no need to sneak in without them, especially with a strange goblin following him and the possibility of getting trapped in another world looming over him. 

“Then let’s forget the forest for tonight,” his father declared. “It’s still your birthday. Let’s celebrate!”

As usual Daniel’s grandmother had perfect timing. She appeared suddenly, gliding over to the oven just before the timer went off, and pulled out the pizza with a wave of her hand. The pizza cutter flew over, and sliced up the pizza quicker than anyone could possibly manage by hand. “Time to eat,” she announced. 

They sat down as a family and enjoyed an everyday normal dinner. Well, as normal as their family got. The adults still passed things around without lifting a finger, and now that Daniel had come into his own power, they even gave Daniel a crash course in how to.

After dinner, his mother produced a cheesecake with ten sparkling candles, followed by presents. His grandmother already gave him his birthday present: a dragon talisman inhabited by the spirit of a real dragon, Pearl. Daniel was not sure that that could be topped, but his parents’ presents were still very much appreciated.

His mother gave him a beginner’s books of spells, her very first. His father gave him a family ring. It was a simple plain silver band with a dark, almost black, stone embedded in the middle. His father explained the ring was anything but simple. The gem could be infused with energy, power that could be harnessed at a later date.

Of course, he got the normal presents that all boys get. He got the new video game he had been asking for, and a baseball glove to replace his old worn out one. Now that Daniel could use his power, these presents paled in comparison next to the magical objects, but he knew he would enjoy them nevertheless.

They all took turns trying to beat Daniel at his new video game before going to bed. As soon as Daniel got to his room, he realized how exhausted he was. This had been the most exciting day of Daniel’s life. Not only did he get his first taste of magic, he got to explore the forest, meeting magical creatures in the process, and had bonded with a dragon talisman.

Pearl had kept quiet and distant during dinner. Daniel wasn’t sure if this was because she didn’t want to intrude on their family time, or if she was missing her own family. As soon as they were alone, Daniel did his best to engage her in conversation.

He really only had one thing on his mind, but he wanted to ease into it. “What was your life like in…that other world?”

“Exhilarating,” she said wistfully.

            He had planned on asking her if she had had her own hatchlings when she lived, but just the thought of dragon eggs made him impatient. “Is that where the dragon eggs are hidden?” he blurted out prematurely.

            “Not all of them,” she answered shrewdly. 



© 2014 Kjerstina House


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

322 Views
Added on November 5, 2014
Last Updated on December 4, 2014
Tags: wizard, family, magic, magical realm, dragon, witch, brownies, forest, spells, pegasus

Daniel's Early Days: A Young Wizard's Story