Daniel's Early Days: A Young Wizard's Story

Daniel's Early Days: A Young Wizard's Story

A Chapter by Kjerstina House
"

Ch. 24 A Visitor-Before Daniel became a powerful Mage, he was just a boy. Follow Daniel from the beginning as he receives his powers, embarks on many adventures, and learns what true power really is.

"

            “Who?” Daniel immediately wanted to know.

            “Come outside and you’ll see,” his father said with a wink. With that, he turned on his heel and slipped back outside. Daniel turned to his mother, but she was already bustling across the kitchen, and promptly began rummaging around in her cabinet of salves and herbs.

            Daniel turned to the small black dragon still perched on his shoulder. “Do you know who it is?” he asked Pearl through their mind connection.

“Surprise,” was all she would say. So, he dashed outside to find out. His father was waiting for him on the porch causing Daniel to skid to a stop. As soon as he had a clear view, Daniel’s eyes swept the yard, and zeroed in on the visitor right away.

 Just beyond his mother’s garden stood the Pegasus that they rescued from entrapment yesterday. The black stallion was pawing the earth near the tree line, but when he saw the two of them, he stopped and stood absolutely still.

Daniel looked to his father wondering if he was allowed to go out to the winged horse. His father made a sharp gesture in the air. The Pegasus snorted once, and then emerged from the trees. Once he crossed the threshold, he spread out his wings with a sharp snap and reared up on his hind legs. It was an amazing sight, and Daniel’s breath caught in his chest.

When the massive hairy hooves pounded back to the ground, Daniel felt something rush through the air. It washed over him, and he suddenly felt the urge to run and be free, but it was gone just as quickly as it came leaving his heart pounding and his breath coming out in short bursts.

Now extremely impatient, Daniel started to rush off the porch, but his father put out a hand to stop him. Before Daniel could speak, his father made another gesture; this one was an expansive swooping gesture. There was crackle in the air similar to static electricity, and it made the tiny hairs on Daniel’s skin stand up.

“Go ahead,” his father gestured to Daniel. Daniel was off the porch before his father had even gotten the second word out. He raced over to the Pegasus, and remembering his manners bowed low to the mystical being. The pegasus lowered his head in return.

“Young Daniel,” the horse’s deep voice echoed in Daniel’s mind. “And, the Mighty Pearl,” he added dipping his head again.

“Onyx, a pleasure,” Pearl returned, with a small bow of her metallic head.

Daniel found it a little strange that anyone would consider Pearl mighty, she was so small. “Size is irrelevant,” Onyx responded immediately to his thoughts. “Pearl’s legacy is known far and wide amongst the creatures of the forest. Besides, her true form was much…grander.”

At first, Daniel wanted to scold the beast for reading his mind again after he had explicitly asked him not to, but when he realized that Onyx knew something of Pearl’s past, he wanted to know more. So far, she had not been very keen on talking about her life, and Daniel knew it was because it made her sad.

He was just about to ask about Pearl’s legacy when his father joined them. “Onyx,” his father said with a small bow at the waist.

“Thank you for having me to your home, Desmond Thorn” Onyx’s voice echoed, although his mouth did not move. He sounded extremely formal and this time he bowed his head even lower and held it for a beat. Daniel found all the formality of this greeting to be a waste of time, but he held his tongue.

His father cringed at hearing his full first name, which he had never liked. “Dez please, and the pleasure is ours,” his father said aloud. He turned to wink at Daniel. “My wife will be out in a moment. How is your wing?”

“There is no pain,” Onyx answered, sounding dismissive. “Only, without all my feathers my flight is a little erratic,” he added sounding mournful.

“I can help with that,” Daniel’s mother said, suddenly by his side. “This salve will speed the process, with a little help from healing magic. It will still take several days, but it’ll be faster than normal,” she assured him.

“Much obliged,” the deep voice practically purred, and his head bowed low.

His mother answered with a radiant smile and a bow of her own head. This time though, Onyx held his down until she came forward and lightly rubbed his brow. He raised his head and their eyes met. Daniel had a feeling that they were conversing privately before Onyx unfolded his injured wing, and held it out for her inspection. She set her jars on the grass, and gently ran her hands across the bald spots on the extended wing.

“There is another reason for my visit today,” Onyx said, turning his head towards Daniel. “I have found something out that you may want to know.”

“What is it?” his father asked aloud, the concern evident in his voice.

“The goblins are talking about our young wizard here,” he replied, his all black eyes boring into Daniel’s. 



© 2014 Kjerstina House


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

179 Views
Added on December 4, 2014
Last Updated on December 6, 2014
Tags: wizard, family, magic, magical realm, dragon, witch, brownies, forest, spells, pegasus

Daniel's Early Days: A Young Wizard's Story