Daniel's Early Days: A Young Wizard's Story

Daniel's Early Days: A Young Wizard's Story

A Chapter by Kjerstina House
"

Ch. 25 Greedy Goblins-Before Daniel became a powerful Mage, he was just a boy. Follow him from the beginning as he receives his powers, embarks on many adventures, and learns what true power really is

"

This caused Daniel’s mother to look up abruptly from her tending.

“What did you hear?” his father asked in a harsh tone.

“They are very interested in this one’s magic,” the winged horse replied, gesturing his head toward Daniel. “I am not sure exactly why yet, but they have been watching him and they know.”

“Know what?” Daniel asked curiously.

“That you will be the greatest wizard of this age,” Onyx’s voice sounded matter of fact, and brooked no room for argument. His parents shared a look, and Daniel couldn’t help the smile that spread across his face as he let this information sink in. The words resonated in his mind long after the voice entered his mind. Would he really be that powerful?

“What should we do?” his father asked no one in particular.

“Teach him well. Give him the tools necessary to keep such filth at bay. It shouldn’t prove too difficult for him,” Onyx’s voice echoed.

“Keep him out of the forest,” his mother cut in her voice like ice.

“Do not shield him, or he will never learn,” Onyx said sagely. He turned his all black eyes to Daniel. Just like before, Daniel felt strangely mesmerized by their inky depths. “Anyway, I doubt you can keep him out forever,” Onyx continued, his voice as smooth as silk. “They are interested in him, but they fear him as well. Right now they are watching; that is all. I do not think there is any reason to panic. I just thought you should be aware.”

“The goblins are greedy, but weak,” Pearl chimed in from her perch on Daniel’s shoulder. Her metallic frame shifted slightly, and she fluttered her wings like she was agitated. “They covet power they cannot possibly possess. They are foolishly drawn to it like a moth to a flame. In the end it will destroy them.”

“Eck, goblins are impulsive creatures with little brain. I have a spell that will keep them away; put some real fear into them,” his grandmother said brusquely as she reached Daniel’s side. Her ability to levitate gave her stealth, and although his parents didn’t seem surprised by her joining the conversation so abruptly, Daniel was a little taken off guard, allowing him to finally break the connection to those hypnotic black eyes.

“I thought I had accomplished that last night,” his father said under his breath.

“Aye, I believe you did. I watched most of them scurry back to Erde; to burrow in their hidey holes.”

“But, they will be back,” Daniel’s mother said unhappily. She moved to pick up her salves, and went back to tending Onyx’s wing.

“Undoubtedly,” Onyx affirmed.

“Nothing we can’t handle,” Loma declared. “You worry too much, Juniper,” she added disapprovingly. Daniel’s mother looked up from her work, and treated her mother-in-law to a cutting look, but remained silent. The two women continued eye contact for longer than necessary, and Daniel assumed they were having a private argument telepathically.

His father must have known as much, because he moved to Loma’s side and placed a hand on her shoulder, causing her to avert her eyes. It seemed that Daniel’s grandmother might keep her opinion to herself, for once.

“Sweet witch, you have a most surprising bite,” Onyx intoned, sounding amused. Juniper didn’t respond, but returned to her tending with a small smile.

Daniel’s father turned to Onyx. “What do you think? Should we should be worried?” Daniel was surprised that his father was asking this creature for advice, but he never knew his father to make a decision lightly.

“Worried? No. I think you should be prepared. He might be strong, but untrained strength can be dangerous. Teach him well, and he will be near unstoppable.”



© 2014 Kjerstina House


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

183 Views
Added on December 7, 2014
Last Updated on December 7, 2014
Tags: wizard, family, magic, magical realm, dragon, witch, brownies, forest, spells, pegasus, goblins

Daniel's Early Days: A Young Wizard's Story