Daniel's Early Days: A Young Wizard's Story

Daniel's Early Days: A Young Wizard's Story

A Chapter by Kjerstina House
"

Ch. 26 A Solution-Before Daniel became a powerful Mage, he was just a boy. Follow Daniel from the beginning as he receives his powers, embarks on many adventures, and learns what true power really is.

"

Daniel’s mother finished her treatment on Onyx’s wing, and slipped back to her husband’s side. He automatically put an arm out, and she folded into him effortlessly. “You should come back tomorrow for another treatment,” she instructed.

“I will do that,” he said. “In the meantime, I will stay close. I want to keep an eye out. I can report back what I find during your tender treatments.” He bowed his head toward Daniel’s mother. “Thank you sweet witch, I hope I haven’t offended you,” he added.

“Not at all,” Juniper shook her head. “I rather thought it was a compliment.”

“Aye, it was,” Onyx voice rumbled with an amused air to it. Onyx nodded a final time, and turned back to the forest. Daniel couldn’t help but notice the way the sun gleamed off the silky hair of Onyx’s mane and tail. More impressive was the iridescent shine of his inky feathers that alternated a wide array of purples, blues, and greens as he slipped through the trees. Even though the sun was able to filter down to the forest floor in patches, he quickly disappeared into the shreds of shadows.

Just before the little family turned away, Onyx voice sounded in their minds one last time. “Tomorrow,” the one word resounded in their minds like a promise.

Daniel turned to his parents. His mother was still tucked in his father’s embrace, but now they were turned toward each other. Eyes locked, talking, but not speaking. His grandmother was already floating back toward the house, no doubt fuming about being goaded into biting her tongue on the subject of Daniel’s upbringing.

Pearl’s metal claws bore down on Daniel’s shoulder briefly before jumping off and soaring into the air. “No worries, little one. Just want to put these mechanical wings to use.”

Daniel had to tilt his head back to watch her fly into the sky, her metal body throwing off shards of sunlight. Even though the sunlight glinting off Pearl’s metallic body, Daniel watched her anxiously until she flew directly into the sun, and he had to avert his eyes.

He was still blinking the sting out of them when his mother’s hand lightly settled on his shoulder. “Give her a minute? Why don’t you run inside and get the spell book,” Juniper suggested.

Excited about the prospect of experimenting with new magic, Daniel turned and started jogging toward the house. “Don’t forget the ring,” his father called. Without turning back, Daniel held up his hand, and flashed the ring to his father.

 “Good boy,” Dez smiled at him.

Daniel rushed back inside, and practically flew up the stairs. He noticed his grandma’s door was open, and he considered confronting her about her request for a rendezvous at sunset. However, being separated from Pearl was making him anxious in a way he didn’t understand. Frozen by indecision, Daniel stood at the door; torn between getting back to his dragon talisman and finding out what his grandmother wanted him for.

Ultimately, he decided he was only wasting time with his indecisiveness, and boldly knocked on the door. No answer came. So, he knocked again, and this time he called out, “Grams?” She still didn’t respond, so he poked his head in the crack and craned his neck to get a look around. Her room was a mess, as usual. Books and clothes were scattered everywhere, but no grandma.

  He was pretty sure she had come back inside, but she was just as likely to be found in the attic with Quip or in the library. Anyway, he didn’t have time to worry about that now. His dragon was outside flying free and he was in here, the separation was killing him.

Spinning on the balls of his feet, he crossed over to his own room and hurried inside. The spell book was on his dresser. He snatched it up, and immediately turned to leave the room. A small cough stopped him in his tracks, causing him to whirl around so abruptly he almost lost his balance.

Quip was standing on his bed, clearly waiting for him. “Morning, young master,” he drawled with an amused smile. Quip enjoyed surprising people. Daniel gritted his teeth in irritation.

“Morning Quip,” Daniel managed to say politely through clenched teeth. Remembering his manners, he turned to address Quip properly, even though every fiber in his body wanted to go back outside.

“I saw Onyx was here,” Quip stated conversationally.

“Yeah,” Daniel answered absently. He was itching to get outside so badly, he was practically twitching. Then it hit him, and he snapped to attention. “Wait, how do you know Onyx?” Quip was a house brownie, and as far as Daniel could tell he never went outside. At least, he always refused to go outside when Daniel asked.

“I didn’t say I knew him,” he answered slyly. “But, I am well informed on many things,” he added brusquely. “You would do well to remember that!”

“Ok, ok,” Daniel said soothingly. He didn’t want to get Quip upset, because that was not pretty.

Quip smoothed back his mop of black hair, and composed himself. “So, he came to tell you about the goblins, I assume.”

“Yeah, he did,” Daniel admitted, wondering where this was going.

“They are enamored with your potential,” he said eloquently.

Unfortunately, his choice of words only confused Daniel. “Uh…”

“Your magic,” he said slowly like Daniel was hard of hearing.

“Oh yeah, that’s what Onyx said.”

“Well, I may be able to help you with that problem,” Quip said smugly.



© 2014 Kjerstina House


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

219 Views
Added on December 9, 2014
Last Updated on December 9, 2014
Tags: wizard, family, magic, magical realm, dragon, witch, brownies, forest, spells, pegasus

Daniel's Early Days: A Young Wizard's Story