Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Daniel's Early Days: A Young Wizard's Story

Daniel's Early Days: A Young Wizard's Story

A Chapter by Kjerstina House
"

Ch. 33 Before Daniel became a powerful Mage, he was just a boy. Follow Daniel from the beginning as he receives his powers, embarks on many adventures, and learns what true power really is.

"

A tiny familiar face stood beside Pearl’s miniature metal frame. They were both completely still, and if Daniel didn’t know any better he probably would have thought they were inanimate objects; toys and nothing more.

The furry, little house brownie, complete in vest and trousers, was leaning towards Pearl’s ebony dragon head like he was in middle of telling her a secret, but his mouth wasn’t moving. Instead, he was peering over at Daniel from the corner of his warm brown eyes, the bushy, dark fur that made up his eyebrows were raised as if to question Daniel’s interruption with his abrupt awakening. Because of Pearl’s solid black metal eyes, Daniel had no way of knowing what she was looking at exactly, but he could sense her surprise. Daniel looked back and forth at them until he realized neither was going to offer up any information on their own.

“Hello Quip,” Daniel began with a slight nod, mindful not to forget proper etiquette. Quip had a quick temper. He always expected good manners, and never dispensed with the niceties.

Quip turned to address Daniel. He straightened himself, righted his vest, and bowed slightly. “Afternoon, young master,” he drawled in a way that was somehow seemed both respectful and condescending. “I trust you had a…refreshing nap,” he said smugly as if he already knew what Daniel was dreaming about.

“Uh, yeah,” Daniel mumbled rubbing his eyes. He pushed black curls back from his face trying to collect his thoughts after such an intense dream.

“You forgot to meet me,” Quip said, followed by a tsk tsk. The silver fur that covered his body bristled slightly before settling back down into its normal soft sheen.

“Huh?” was all Daniel could manage. With all the excitement he had forgotten Quip’s request to meet with him after his lesson.

“The library; I asked you to meet me in the library so we could discuss this little goblin problem of yours,” Quip clarified impatiently tapping the tiny claws on his feet against the wood of Daniel’s nightstand.

“Right, I’m sorry Quip. I was exhausted,” Daniel yawned.

“I understand,” Quip said shortly. He ran two fingers on his mouse-like hands along his whiskers. “Magic does indeed take its toll. That being said, I would like to offer you a little something to protect that magic.”

“Protect it how?”

“From the goblins of course,” Quip answered with a wave of his tiny clawed hand. “Try to keep up Daniel. You know the goblins have been watching you, and that they covet magic that they do not possess. Therefore, you should take extra care in protecting yours,” he paused and raised a bushy brow at Daniel, “Strong and untamed as it is.”

“Alright,” Daniel agreed wondering where this was going. He waited for Quip to go on, but he just stood there looking queerly at Daniel. He looked to Pearl but she seemed content to wait Quip out. “What do you suggest then?” he prodded.

Quip and Pearl shared a look before the little brownie reached behind him and pulled a ring from inside his vest. Great another ring, Daniel thought a little put off.

He wasn’t too keen on the idea of wearing jewelry in the first place, but when his father gave him a ring to store power he recognized the benefits of such an object and decided to go with it. But, this ring was different. It was dull and kind of ugly. As Quip held it out to him, Daniel noticed something else. This ring was not a complete circle; one end thinned out into a dull point and the other ended in a flat, thick triangle.

“Um, what kind of ring is that?” Daniel asked.

“A nail ring of course. Here try it on,” Quip demanded. Daniel reached out and allowed Quip to drop the strange looking ring into his palm. Daniel held it up between two fingers to get a better look at it.

It didn’t look like any nail he had ever seen. The entire nail had been flattened before being curled into a circle. The length of the nail was almost rectangular in shape, while the head of the nail was not the flat, circular topper he had seen on other nails; instead of ending immediately before the nail shaft, it slowly tapered off becoming the width of the nail.

“Um, why would wearing a nail help me with my goblin problem?”

“Iron,” Quip stated with another little wave of his hand, as if that explained everything. Still completely perplexed, Daniel raised his eyebrows and waited for Quip to expand on this information.

Quip leaned in and whispered, “Goblins abhor iron.”

“Huh?”

“Not very loquacious this afternoon, are we?”

“Quip!” Daniel scoffed. Although, he knew what loquacious meant because Quip had used that word before to tease Daniel, his patience was beginning to wear thin. He never could understand why Quip couldn’t just talk plainly to him.

“It will keep them away,” Quip said slowly with a mischievous twinkle in his eyes. Daniel looked to Pearl and she nodded in confirmation.

“So, I can go into the forest, and they won’t bother me?”

“I never said that!” Quip’s answer was brusque and his fine fur stood on end again. Daniel could tell that now the house brownie’s limited patience was also wearing thin, so he bit his tongue and waited for Quip to continue. Clearing his throat, Quip patted his fur down and seemed to collect himself. “They will keep their distance from you. That is all I can promise,” Quip clarified.

Daniel slipped the ring on while he considered the implications of what Quip was telling him. If this would keep the goblins away from him, then wandering out in the forest to investigate on his own shouldn’t be a problem, should it??



© 2015 Kjerstina House


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
Added on May 3, 2015
Last Updated on May 5, 2015
Tags: wizard, family, magic, magical realm, dragon, witch, brownies, forest, spells, pegasus

Daniel's Early Days: A Young Wizard's Story