Daniel's Early Days: A Young Wizard's Story

Daniel's Early Days: A Young Wizard's Story

A Chapter by Kjerstina House
"

Ch. 36-Before Daniel became a powerful Mage, he was just a boy. Follow Daniel from the beginning as he receives his powers, embarks on many adventures, and learns what true power really is.

"

Alternating flavors of sweet and bitter swirled around, colliding with his taste buds before washing down the back of his throat. The potion was bubbly, making it hard to drink quickly. A few of the bubbles exploded in small bursts, tickling Daniel’s nose.

“So, you figured out what the potion does?” his grandmother wanted to know.

“I think so,” Daniel answered, while trying to burp quietly. “Alice in Wonderland,” he smiled coyly. The tingling spread through his chest making him feel full, yet somehow light.

“You are a clever boy,” his grandmother beamed.

“Well it is one of my favorite books, so actually you made it kind of easy with the library clue.” Daniel beamed back at his grandma. Of course, she knew it was one of his favorite books; it was one they both loved. She had read it to him many times before, and even after he learned how to read on his own.

Now, the tingling spread to the tips of his fingers, then began creeping down his legs, and quickly flooded to his toes. It felt like his insides were bubbling up, his molecules vibrating around and crashing into each other; almost like he was a bottle of soda that someone had shook up and he was about to burst.

“Well, I do not know what the two of you are talking about,” Pearl interrupted.

“Alice in Wonderland is one of my, our, favorite books,” Loma explained to Pearl, brushing a silver strand of hair from her face and directing a smile in Daniel’s direction. “In the book, Alice drinks a magic potion that makes her small.”

“How small?” Pearl wanted to know, her metals wings twitching slightly.

Loma slipped the vial from Daniel’s hand and dropped it into a large pocket on one side of her pinched skirt. “Well…I’m still not sure the exact diameters that will occur from this particular brew, but from previous experience, I should think small enough,” she concluded with a knowing look directed at Pearl.

“Small enough for what?” Daniel demanded excitedly, looking between his grandmother and Pearl. His miniature dragon talisman shared a look with his grandmother. Somehow, Daniel could tell that something passed between the two of them, even though Pearl’s metal eyes were flat black.

Loma tapped her toe, or rather bounced it, on the marshmallow like floor. “Now why would I jellify the entire room?” she asked, looking around thoughtfully. Then, she turned her gaze to Daniel, waiting for an answer. When Daniel hesitated, she cleared her throat and jerked her head towards Pearl, who was again tip-toeing around the springy floor.

“Small enough to ride,” Daniel practically squeaked in excitement. Adrenaline raced through his body; cutting a course through his blood quickly transforming the fizzy tingling sensation into a roaring buzz. Daniel’s skin began to feel hot and taut, and quickly became tight and uncomfortable. “It’s happening!” he cried. 

He glanced at his grandmother, who nodded confidently.  

The euphoria of his transformation ceased abruptly. Involuntarily, Daniel’s muscles contracted sharply. His body curled into itself, and he crouched down on the squishy floor with a crash and a bounce. The heat turned into a burn; like a rug burn over his entire body. The skin on his hands was so tight now he could no longer press his palms to the floor to steady his shaking body. Instead, his fingers curled up tightly, and his joints began to ache, everywhere; experiencing pain in places of his body he never even knew even existed. The tautness of his skin became unbearable. Daniel opened his mouth to cry out, but nothing came out.

Anxious and sweating profusely, he tried to look up at his grandmother, but could no longer move his head. Panic seeped in; maybe something had gone wrong. He strained to get a look at her, looking for reassurance.

“Try to keep calm,” he heard her say, but it sounded far away and thin like she was calling from another room. Daniel could feel Pearl nearby, she was concerned, but more than that, she was curious.

Attempting to breathe deeply, Daniel merely succeeded in taking a few shallow breaths. Doing his best to relax and focus the way his parents had shown him. He managed to squeeze his eyes shut, and forced his constricted lungs to swallow a few deep breaths.

Just when Daniel thought he might pop, the tension leaked out of his body like a deflating balloon. Mercifully, it was over. 



© 2015 Kjerstina House


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
Added on July 20, 2015
Last Updated on July 20, 2015
Tags: wizard, family, magic, magical realm, dragon, witch, brownies, forest, spells, pegasus

Daniel's Early Days: A Young Wizard's Story