Chasing Dragons, Chasing Colors

Chasing Dragons, Chasing Colors

A Story by Klo Willow
"

Something lighter and generally less melodramatic than my usual for a change.

"

Clouds tremored, a cushion of air tore, a subtle glimmer arced across the sky. Nothing was particularly disturbed; however a stray wind would break off to provoke an undeniable sense of apprehension. At the end of that arc was the culprit of power that aroused unease. A royal shade of green with a charming glint of yellow hugged the scale of the forceful villain. Somewhere, not too far off, a victim haughtily typed their complaints. Another, not quite yet a victim, but concerned all the same, challenged the public to be the adversary to the green mass. This worried individual expressed their concern as a former dragon hunter, and would typically do the deed personally. There career had ended however after an agreement was struck with a local red dragon.

A complementary streak with that familiar slight glimmer now greased the sky in the opposing direction. The origin of these aero-smears lay the dragon’s nest. It was quaint, only stretching a mere 500 feet north, and another 500 feet east to form a square among the spiraling hills. It was modest, only half of the 250, 000 square feet glittering with brilliant gems accented by dull blondes. Truly only the nest of a fledgling. The winged mystic returned. With a swoop, it powerfully gusted along the perimeter in a high circle. All the while, opening a crook in its wing to reveal a shadowing blue. The brilliant lapiz lazuli streamed from the wing, down the dragon’s spiny crest, and sailed to the ground to deposit in a grand circle that hugged the perimeter of the nest. The flow streamed continuously as the dragon soared with artistic motion. The assortment of blue was now an alluring flood of blue nicely juxtaposed the to-be completed yellow heart of topaz. Once the sweeping grand passes concluded, the beast descended into a rounded edge of blue. Large gems undulated out from the new presence, peeing like welcoming wages Smaller gems (rather sizable to any human, about fist sized), rolled off the dragon’s crest; green dripping in blue. The creature nestled deeper, and greedily snuffed the surrounding mass of cool color with its muzzle. It did so in such a manner that a playful essence adapted to these gene, blatantly contrasting the terrific size and strength.

By now, many had seen or heard of the efforts of the valiant whiny typist. This ‘many’ was also very concerned. What if this new green beast equals the size of the current red one? Could our land possibly supplement two dragons peacefully? They mulled anxiously , building he craving for resolution with each unresolved question. A few hours of this behavior bred enough courage, if it can be called that, for a few hundred to to approach the green interloper in the name of manly honor and necessity. A brave, and simply laughable, march of valor began the next day. All they had to do was look to the cloud dotted sky to approximate the location of the lair. An unnatural hue of blue was reflected onto the clouds when the sun first warmed the gems. A typical sign of a dragon lair as the hoards of precious gems and metals tend to be only a few colors. Thus, when the light reflects off it, a vague single imprint of color returns to the sky.

The sound of hundreds of foolhardy men is unmistakable, and in a word; loud. The green dragon lifted its head wearily in response, and whined sullenly, “Oh, but how I love to be green!” With a reluctant growl, the creature rose. With a great shudder, a vivid blush began to flow into each scale, leaving a deceptively cooperative red dragon in a wake of brilliant blue.

© 2014 Klo Willow


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

399 Views
Added on December 9, 2014
Last Updated on December 9, 2014
Tags: chasing, dragons, color, colors, fantasy

Author

Klo Willow
Klo Willow

CA



About
I am a musician who was drawn to the expression of words once I noticed the seemingly unlimited thought a book could convey. Ever since, I have wrote and read to explore and develop my skill. T.. more..

Writing
Breathe Breathe

A Story by Klo Willow


Fade Fade

A Poem by Klo Willow