Change

Change

A Poem by Mike Cole

I look at my old life 
And wonder why nothing has changed 
I wake up frustrated and feeling deranged 
Why?
Everyday I wake up 
"Today will be different"
"I'll learn to be humble"
"I won't steal"
"I won't become a slave to the devil's deal"
But he looks me in the eyes 
And tells me nothing's changed 
You are still the same person you were yesterday 

I want to just cry out in pain 
Because I feel that he is right 
He has always been right 
About me 
About living 
About everything from the beginning 

And from this doubt 
I sit in silence 
Questioning if I can ever truly be still 

Searching for answers 
And desperate for alteration 
I seek a friend 
Who might be able to save me from this damnation 
One who might be able to help me make the change 
One who might be able to 

But once again the devil whispers in my ears 
Not even He can save you now 

To whom should I listen 

To the one who says you can never change 
Or to the one who says I will be the change in you 
To the one who says you'll never be good enough 
Or to the one who says my son was good enough for you 

Good enough so that I should know 
That the true modification 
Will not come from self 
But someone greater 
Someone who sacrificed himself 

© 2013 Mike Cole


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow! What a resonating poem. I loved the tone of despair and hope and uncertainty in this poem. The tone and emotions made this poem very strong and relatable. I really admire poets who can turn their thoughts, feelings, and emotions into something so powerful and visual with just a few lines. This was really great. I hope you or whoever this poem is for will find the courage to stand on his own feet to make that change. I feel like there is no greater person than yourself to believe in. That way nobody could ever talk you down.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mike Cole

10 Years Ago

Thanks a lot



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
E
I enjoyed this poem and it had a lot of emotion. I like how the character is looking for a friend, but ultimately doesn't find anyone who can help them. However, he doesn't find anyone. The character feels as if they're unable to become better, and looks for someone to give them answers. But although someone can help, you need to believe what they say yourself, and make the change for yourself, and the character doesn't see this. I feel that it brings out the ending more, showing that the character is unable to believe that, and this adds to the feeling of despair the poem generates. Great work overall.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Such a soulful piece, I love this. It felt like a twister, wrapped in the battle of faith and despair, hope and surrender. Very nicely done, sir.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Wow! What a resonating poem. I loved the tone of despair and hope and uncertainty in this poem. The tone and emotions made this poem very strong and relatable. I really admire poets who can turn their thoughts, feelings, and emotions into something so powerful and visual with just a few lines. This was really great. I hope you or whoever this poem is for will find the courage to stand on his own feet to make that change. I feel like there is no greater person than yourself to believe in. That way nobody could ever talk you down.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mike Cole

10 Years Ago

Thanks a lot
Bravo! I liked this treatment of subjectivity! An easy choice to make as far as I can see! Place it all at the feet of He who knows and He who cares. Nice piece!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Great words. Good piece. The singer SeeAn says never say never Unless, "Never Give Up! Never Surrender!"

Posted 10 Years Ago


I would have to agree with coyote poetry, change is a difficult process even when we're asking for God's help. We become set in our ways over time making it harder to be happy with ourselves. I recognize the conflicted attitude which you discuss here. I think God is waiting for us to make the changes we desire not the other way around. Good poem.

Posted 10 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Sam
Yes my friend, those frustrations you voice, those demons haunting and pulling they are inside every Christian. Remember the Devil doesn't want God to win but on 33 A.D. on Calvary's Hill God claimed victory.... and he made way for us to join him. Life is hard but God's love is so easy. Keep the faith and never give up no matter what trials come your way remember this Battle has been won once and for all time. Hosanna in the Highest!
Thank you for reminding me this today. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Hard to change. We get set in our ways. I could feel the struggle in the poem to understand life and goals. I tell people. Sometime we must stop. Readjust life and begin on the desire path. Old mistakes and life need to be forgotten. Regret doesn't assist us. Mistakes are just lessons for us not to repeat the same mistakes again. Thank you for the excellent poetry. You made me think this early morning.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

350 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 8, 2013
Last Updated on August 8, 2013

Author

Mike Cole
Mike Cole

About
Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mike.cole.31337 I'm Mike. one of my passions is writing poetry and I believe that I can serve God through doing so TWITTER: @JohnyApleSeed_ Site:.. more..

Writing
Expectations Expectations

A Chapter by Mike Cole



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


In A Time In A Time

A Poem by Frieda P