What My Dreams Are Worth

What My Dreams Are Worth

A Poem by Mike Cole

The tall green grass fluttered in the wind,

As I sat in the cold, empty room contemplating my life.

Constantly questioning whether my failures could truly be blessings in my life,

Or if all of my dreams were worthless.

 

I remember that was the first time I had questioned myself.

When I was younger the world seemed as free as the air that I breathed.

Taking in every single moment as if the world was in the palm of my hands.

My father would tell me,

“You could be an astronaut”.

And my mother would tell me,

“You could be the president of the United States”.

I believed them.

I constantly practiced for the day that I could try to do something worth noticing.

I was mistaken.

 

In a way,

I am glad that I can now glare at the gangly, green grass.

It reminds me of the knowledge that I pertained in my younger years.

It reminds me that my dreams, like the grass,

Will one day be cut.

 

© 2013 Mike Cole


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I think parents (If we're lucky enough to have good parents) mean well and are looking out for our well being and our future when they say such things. We however, must follow our own path to where it leads. Mistakes will be made along the way, but we always have a chance to go somewhere if we believe in ourselves and work hard. At least, that's what I believe.

Posted 10 Years Ago


When we're kids we are encouraged to overachieve, and it only leads to letdowns in adulthood...I wish people would just encourage kids to be themselves and let the chips fall where they may, as opposed to not being themselves and trying to please everybody...thanks for sharing this one, it's a piece that really resonated with me.

Posted 10 Years Ago


This sounds kind of interesting.

It feels a bit poetic with the words you chose.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

299 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 22, 2013
Last Updated on September 22, 2013

Author

Mike Cole
Mike Cole

About
Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mike.cole.31337 I'm Mike. one of my passions is writing poetry and I believe that I can serve God through doing so TWITTER: @JohnyApleSeed_ Site:.. more..

Writing
Expectations Expectations

A Chapter by Mike Cole


Searching Searching

A Chapter by Mike Cole