Love of Death

Love of Death

A Story by Kathrine Rethorn
"

(this idea came from me having over several near-deaths and joking that death just really likes to see my face.)

"
Skin cold as ice. Not that he could tell, but her lips were tinted blue. If Death hadn't seen so many of these occasions he would have thought lipstick instead of hypothermias frozen kiss. She was beautiful though, the girl named Kenzi, even as death threatened to wrap its gangly fingers around her precious shining soul. 
Her eyes had been left open, they matched the grass that still peaked through the frosted ground. So beautiful, so soft, was all Death could think. He desperately did not want to touch this flower, did not want to claim her life just yet. So he didn’t.
Death broke every rule he himself had written, The King of Reapers swayed and tied up by a pretty porcelain face. He would never hear the end of it if his children ever found out. 
He spoke the words, the forbidden lyrics that would force the soul back into the body and give it life
“Mors mors sit tibi. Vivo cras.” The latin slipped over his tongue like a sweet wine spilling out and over her soul drowning it in his will for her to live. “Death is no more Death brings you back. Live to see tomorrow.”   
The girls breathing came back in gasps, beautiful desperate gasps. Her dainty hands clasped over her throat her shining eyes filled with tears causing them to light a fire in his chest. 
Death was done for. She had him in her grasp and she would never know it. That was for the best. As Kenzi feebly searched for her phone that had been lost in the crash he sent a thought to the nearest signs of help. Planted the seed that would send them here to her side. 
They would help his flower in ways he never could, they would touch her gently with their hands. Their touch wouldn't lead her to the afterlife. Jealousy was a mad storm inside him, so many feeling never known to him whipped and raged in his chest. He had to leave, before the men arrived, no need to break two of his rules and take souls of the innocent before their time. 
Death left, left his precious daffodil in the hands of another. However, he would see her again, Death would make sure of it. 
After he departed the scene he found himself pacing his chambers and ripping the cloak from his body that kept him invisible to any human or inhuman eye. His hands were trembling from the need to hold her his heart was an erratic mess. What would he do? He stopped in front of his mirror running his finger down the liquid glass making the surface quiver. Death's pale and sunken face glared black at him. His eyes burned with accusation at what transpired between him and the mortal. 
He was not ugly by any means, a strong jawline with high cheekbones gave him to appeal. Thin black brows arched over almond colored eyes with lashes that could make wind stir. Deaths fingers trailed along his face; although his skin was a sheet of white it was smooth and still young. He had no visible marking or wrinkles of any kind. His Daffodil, if she ever saw him, would assume he was in his mid-twenties, possibly handsome. Blood swirled to his cheeks coloring them red with the thought. 
Desire to see her clenched his heart, the pain seemingly real. Death went and collapsed on his satin covered bed. He felt like a little girl just discovering what love was. He knew what he wanted to do, and he knew it was wrong. Death felt the burn, the need to see her again soon. His idea went against all the laws that he himself set up. However, try as he might, he could not stay away from his supernal flower. 

© 2017 Kathrine Rethorn


Author's Note

Kathrine Rethorn
What do you think of the idea?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well executed idea. I think the idea itself is moderately interesting and creative. But your execution is fantastic. Your writing talent makes this an impressive piece.

"...his heart was an erratic mess." Best line ever.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Kathrine Rethorn

4 Years Ago

Wow, thank you so much for the compliments!
You have great imagery. It is so easy to visualize what is going on. I loved this idea, and the way you portrayed Death. I would definitely read more of this.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Kathrine Rethorn

6 Years Ago

Thank you!!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

246 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 28, 2017
Last Updated on November 28, 2017
Tags: death, romance, supernatural

Author

Kathrine Rethorn
Kathrine Rethorn

IL



About
My name is Kathrine Rethorn. Obviously, I am a writer. Stories and poems. I focus on realistic horror, romance, occasional erotica and mystery. Themes are usually dark or serious. I have some hobbie.. more..

Writing