The Best Man to Die

The Best Man to Die

A Story by Kathrine Rethorn
"

Jackal and Joe, two friends.. one gun.

"

Jackal had it coming. He'd lived his life the way he’d wanted. Doing what he’d wanted when he’d wanted. He saw something pretty he’d take it, had a man he didn't like, killed him. Now, he stared down the barrel of a gun, Jackal realized he had no regrets.

“Alright Joe Higgin, you got me.” Jackal raised his hands lazily and rested his cheek on his shoulder.

“D-Damn right I D-Do!” His eyes were crazy, nearly popped out of his head.

Jackal smiled at his dear old friend while his fingers trembled and twitched over the trigger.

“You ruined my life, Jackal! Ya- Ya took my wife! I loved her!” His voice hit an octave that made Jackal flinch. Damn near popped his eardrum. He screwed his pinky in his ear trying to soothe the pain. This made Joe take a step forward in anger, he evern wiggled the gun in Jackals face as if to say ‘I got a gun, remember?’.

“Now, Now Higgins… I did not take anyone's wife. She came willin’ly.” Jackal grinned and bowed pressing his forehead to the barrel. His boots were dusty and the tails of his coat worn and ragged. Damn shame they'd find his body in this shabby garb.

Him and Joe go back to their school days, kickin mud at the girls and pullin’ at their skirts. Robbed a bank once some 10 years ago.  

That's around the same time Joe’s wife started drinking around Jackal. She was pretty hansey, Jackal wasn't her first ride but, ended up bein’ her last. She stole from Jackal and tried to run. She didn't make it but five yards before Jackal put a bullet the size of his thumb through her head.

Jackal wasn't fond of killin’ ladies, but a thief ain’t no lady.

Joe need’nt know the details.

“Higgins your hands are clean aren't they?” Meant he hadn’t killed nobody. Joe stepped back again, spread his feet apart trying to get steady.

“You'll be my only shame, Jackal.” Joe, still shakin

“Glad to be yer first, Pal, ya couldn't find anyone better.” Jackal grinned and laughed as Joe pulled the trigger.

Joe didn't expect the recoil, the gun jerked, shot a hole through Jackals hat.

“Son of a b***h Higgins!” Jackal fell back into a nearby bush. Blazin mad. “Two feet Higgins! To damn feet!”

© 2018 Kathrine Rethorn


Author's Note

Kathrine Rethorn
My take at a western

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Good western tale. Well Done.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Yep, this sounds like a western. You hit the right chords and added a few "damns" for good measure. A success, I'd say.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Kathrine Rethorn

5 Years Ago

Im glad it came out the way i wanted. Thank you so much for the review!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

246 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 21, 2018
Last Updated on September 21, 2018
Tags: western, death, killing, country, cowboys, short, adventure, mini, small, guns, murder

Author

Kathrine Rethorn
Kathrine Rethorn

IL



About
My name is Kathrine Rethorn. Obviously, I am a writer. Stories and poems. I focus on realistic horror, romance, occasional erotica and mystery. Themes are usually dark or serious. I have some hobbie.. more..

Writing