The Spring Festival and the Dance of Dragons

The Spring Festival and the Dance of Dragons

A Chapter by Kuandio

 



            "It’s about the end of winter, and rebirth,” Midori said to Ayaka, half-shouting over the din as they filtered through the crowds. She used a hand to gesture the cycle. “Life returns, and goes on and on. Never can be ended. What could be worthier of celebration?”

            Ayaka nodded, reveling in the sights and sounds. Since the day she arrived in Shenobi, there'd been so much for her senses to take in; but with the start of the Saisei Spring Festival, life had blossomed manifold. Although Gurinhirizu boasted its own spring festival - as every kingdom across Isodoro - what Ayaka had seen before was nothing compared to this. A whirl of vibrant colors and sounds swam, simultaneously dizzying and enlivening. Children ran hither and thither, waving incandescent spark-sticks. Ayaka's attempts were futile to step out the way of the little cascades of raw rice thrown from balconies by laughing kids. She brushed the white grains out of her hair and clothes. There wasn't much time to focus on anything. Like a buoyant river, the movement of festivities transported the three young women and the little girl.

            Not long after leaving the inn, Midori declared, "Time for a drink my maikos."

            They halted beside a stall, where a man and woman poured customers ceramic cups of warmed shochu and sake. Midori placed a tsuka coin on the counter, and the man served three cups.

            "So sorry, not for you," Ayaka said to Harumi, though she knew the little nomin girl didn't want any.

            The three young women raised their cups.

            "To long life, health, happiness, ... and love," Midori toasted.

            "Dear gods." Upon draining half the cup, Akemi's expression had curdled. She tried chuckling it off. "Look at us, taking our drink like proper wagoners."

            Succumbing to the humor of the moment, Ayaka convinced Harumi to have a taste. The little nomin girl did and promptly recoiled, her features scrunching in disgust. The three young women laughed.

            Ayaka rarely drank alcohol, and was vaguely surprised when a warmness settled throughout her body. Her head spun a little, and unsure as to why, she laughed more readily and was more affectionate than usual.

            They had only left the shochu and sake stall a few minutes behind when Ayaka overheard the first rumors about the prince and the samurai riders. Word spread gradually, a murmuring undercurrent here and there that slowed the festival. Ayaka and her friends asked around. It was clear the majority of people were uncertain about the veracity of the tidings, while quite a few did believe, as their rejoicings attested.

            A nomin youth raced down the street. "Prince Daisuken has returned!" he cried over and again.

            Midori stopped him, putting her hand on his arm. "Calm down. Tell us. Is it true?"

            "Yes missuekku." He nodded, nearly breathless.

            "How do you know?" asked an older man - just one of those who'd crowded close to hear. "Has a herald returned?"

            "No, but my friends saw," answered the youth. "Hundreds of people outside the city did. The prince is approaching Shenobi with his army of Hiryu riders."

            "How long before he arrives?" Akemi asked.

            "Should be any moment missuekku." Smiling, the youth bowed, and ran off to resume his proclamations.

            "I doubt we should believe him," said the older man. "You know how the nomin rabble like to play jokes."

            "True," a woman in the crowd added. "Prince Daisuken rode all the way to the Misuto Forests just three weeks ago. How could he deal with the rebel clans and get back so quickly?"

            "Pretty much impossible," agreed another.

            A hollow, bronzen note tided over the city. It could only be the giant gong set above the Jade Gates. As if struck by a colossal mallet, it clanged again. Gongs in the palace answered.

            "Come! Let's see for ourselves!" said Akemi, looking like she was ready to run off by herself if they didn't follow.

            With the gongs knelling, confirmation swept through the city like a wind. Before long the streets hummed with the news, and people echoed aloud:  "Daisuken has returned!" - "The Hiryu have returned!" - "Our protector has returned!"

            While making their way towards the streets nearest the gates, Ayaka pondered the significance of the occasion. That the gongs were blazoning the prince's arrival could only mean he had won. This affirmation soon circulated from the palace, and the masses declared

that Daisuken had indeed returned victorious. Speaking with others, Ayaka gleaned enough to piece the events together. Aiding the kingdom of Shinrin, prince Daisuken had defeated the Okami-hitobito clans, thus ending the Shogun's involvement along the borders of the Misuto Forests. What more, representatives from Fumei-noyorou had signed a new treaty with the Southern Kingdoms. As the joyous news was received, here and there citizens hugged one another. Yet as tales are quickly woven higher, what was true became muddled. Some assured Daisuken had defeated the Shogun's army in a decisive battle, that he was even bringing Kage-maru's head. Ayaka couldn't believe such claims unless the royal family authenticated them. Some things were too good to be true.

            Regardless, any victory foiling the Shogun's stratagems was a great, and to an extent unforeseen achievement, at least in the suddenness it which it had been gained. Could it be true? - Ayaka wondered - Did this mean there might be peace?

            The three young women and the little girl bustled up the streets, but the crowds were so thick they could not get close enough to see the samurai regiment's homecoming.

            Midori called to a boy on a balcony, "Hey there! Can we come up? We can't see a thing down here."

            At first intimidated, a moment later the boy nodded. Once Ayaka and her friends were on the balcony, the view of bottom of the Jade Gates remained obstructed by high rooftops. A block away however, they overlooked a stretch of Hanibara Street. Although they couldn't see the samurai riders, they were well aware the moment the regiment passed through the towering emerald portal, for notes from dozens of conches droned into the sky, and a massive cheer erupted, reverberating into the city.

            The three young women stood on their tiptoes, straining to get a glimpse. Sadly, Harumi couldn't even see over the balcony rail.

            "Look!" Akemi jumped, pointing to Hanibara Street. "Here they come!"      

            Ayaka looked across the gabled roofs. Globe and cylinder shaped lamps glowed throughout the cityscape, yet Shenobi was immense, and the prevailing shades of shadow were still difficult to descry. When Ayaka finally spotted the first of the Hiryu, she described snatches of the unfolding scene to Harumi, who turned her round face up to Ayaka expectantly. The samurai ranks were not easy to distinguish amidst the red banners atop buildings and over streets; however, the samurai bore their own phoenix standards, greater, and in the hundreds. Moving at a slow, caravan clip up Hanibara Street, the regiment came into clearer view.

            Beneath the banners was a forest of dark spears. The samurai, some ten thousand strong, were suited in crimson armor; and every charger they rode was starless black. From afar, Ayaka barely made out that a few of the men were bandaged. The procession imparted her a sense of stark reality, and the weight of duty placed on the warriors' shoulders. These men, and men like them that had come and gone before, were the bulwarks upon which Shenobi had been built and continued to stand.

            "Where is prince Daisuken?" Akemi asked. Apparently Ayaka's eyesight bested either of her friends'. She squinted; the riders were two blocks distant, and far too numerous for her to differentiate which might be the prince.

            "He always rides at the vanguard," Midori supplied.

            Perhaps Ayaka had spotted him. A samurai at the forefront, with long dark hair, and a kabuto helm resting in his hand. When he raised the helm, the gesture evoked a wave of cheers from the multitudes.

            Ayaka had never been fond of military displays. They were a betoken of death and the savagery governing the world. Nonetheless, the procession impressed her. With the threat of conflict increasing in recent years, she thought it fitting for the populace to be reminded of the strength that defended them. Nor did she deem it mere chance the prince and the Hiryu riders had arrived at this hour, upon the cusp of the equinox. An apt honoring of the Saisei Spring Festival's commencement.

            The military cavalcade was short-lived. To avoid encroaching on the hub of the festival, the Hiryu regiment diverged off Hanibara Street and proceeded by a secondary route towards the palace. Once the riders were gone, the crowds turned away, with a certain reluctance, and redirected themselves to the forthcoming revelries.

            They seem happier -  thought Ayaka, observing the people - surer, more complete. Even if only another peace treaty had been won, the spirit of collective triumph was not to be stifled, and under the cool evening, the celebration swelled.

            "Thank the heavens!" Akemi exclaimed, clasping her hands at her bosom. "I thought for certain there'd be a terrible war."

            “Did you ever doubt the swords of the Kyojin-Kasai Phoenix? Rest easy from now on,” said Midori. Then she waved them on. “Come. If we hurry maybe we can stand in Danketsu Square to see the dragons.”

            The three young women and the little nomin girl hurried like a small flock to the centric quarter. They took a byway to Danketsu Square, the heart of public gathering spaces in the city. It was a vast, open area, roughly an arced bowshot across. Tens of thousands of festival goers had converged along its flanks, save that which united with Tengokundoa Temple, adjoining the palace. People collected everywhere and hundreds more arrived. The square's centrum remained clear however. Midori led their little group up a short flight of steps along one side, by pillars and under the balcony of a large establishment. From here they could survey the point where Hanibara Street merged into the square.

            While waiting, the rich aroma of food coaxed. Harumi must surely be hungry, and so Ayaka bought a stick of skewered toriyaki from a vendor cooking over a charcoal brazier. Minutes later, the booming of drums grumbled afar in the city. Despite the distance, Ayaka got a vivid impression of the oncoming volume - a rumbling that reminded of the monsoons in Gurinhiruzu, those clouds that advanced over hillsides like ships of thunder to flood fields and terraces. With the dragons prowling up Hanibara Street, the throngs could scarcely contain their anticipation. The drumming grew louder. Soon Ayaka and her friends could barely hear one another.

            Most of the onlookers gasped when the first dragon turned the corner. It was a ponderous beast, bigger and more real than any Ayaka had seen before, its length extending like a train of cattle. Draping white-silver fabrics streaked with icy blue concealed the dancers beneath, who made the long serpentine form undulate.

            "The Dragon of Winter," Midori said. "It's the first to make way, before spring can be renewed."

            A formation of paraders accompanied the dragon. They wore raiment and bore standards of the same white and blue hues. Brass cymbals crashed. At the forefront and to the rear, drummers pounded on huge kaiko drums, a fury that trembled through Ayaka's chest down to her feet. Whenever the beat stopped, the dragon and the paraders halted of asudden, before resuming in unison, chanting.

            Spectators gawked at the Dragon of Winter. Even if it was only a grandly engineered costume, the spirit of the mythical creature was alive. When the dragon came close, it writhed brusquely to face the onlookers. Several of the youngest children cried. Harumi shrunk back, holding onto Ayaka's arm. Despite her assurances, the little nomin girl dared not look. The expression crafted on the dragon was one of terrible, frozen wrath. Giant serpent eyes bore into them, and a snarling grin mocked the bystanders with a deity's power.

            From its serrated jaws, the Dragon of Winter released an icy mist, sparkling in the glow of lanterns. This conjured a galore of oohs and ahhs, and the people clapped on as the beast entered Danketsu Square, where it commenced its lumbering, circling rounds.

            The battering of drums forewarned each dragon's arrival. One by one they came in onerous succession, woven with rich fabrics, inlaid and studded with bright metallic scales and jewels. Between the dragons, intervals of costumed dancers proceeded. Representations of the myriad of gods and kami were present, including fox masks in homage to Inari-Okami, and antlered headdresses symbolic of Morichuno. The spectacle harkened back to the myths Ayaka had learned. For a while, the Age of Gods and Heroes was alive, and magic yet existed in the world.

            The Dragon of Earth's bronze scales glittered. As with every kyojin creature, an assemblage of marchers arrayed in similar colors attended, intoning immemorial chants.

            "Each dragon represents a different power of creation," Midori explained. "They are the forces of life and spirit, returning to fight until the world vanquishes all negative ki, so that the Seishin of Life may be restored."

            As the parade churned by, Ayaka's senses flowed into it, even as her thoughts drifted. What would happen now that prince Daisuken had won this victory? Judging by the joyous atmosphere in the city, surely it would usher in prosperity and harmony. But how long would this respite last? The starseers had warned of the seasons to come, and their omens were not known to err. When Ayaka pondered the east - those shrouded forests wherein Shogun Kage-waru skulked - intuition told her something was amiss. Her eyes beheld the parade whirl and swoosh by, but her mind searched the paths of the future.

            A magnificent beast advanced, composed of varied shades of rustling green. The Dragon of the Forest - first of the dragons of spring. Succeeding it writhed the Dragon of Mountains, then the Dragon of Summer, bright yellow laced with glinting gold. The remaining kyojin beasts symbolized the other seasons and elements, such as the Dragon of Water, and the Dragon of Sky and Wind, whose scales were dappled cerulean and white, its jagged back decked with streamers and chimes.

            Under the spell the dragons surreal presence cast, Ayaka's consciousness roamed the currents of possibilities, as if this were a dream and a part of her was trying to awaken. Weren't the gods more than myths? And weren't legends ancient truths that had been forgotten? Shenobi was one of Isodoro's wonders. She could remain here months, perhaps even live here. Yet a spirit called to her, one of ancient past. She looked at her friends; their expressions showed they were delighting in the parade. Despite Ayaka's love for this city, and for her friends, she knew she could not stay here.

            My whole life could pass by, like a river that never returns.

            I have to find that place, the forest,, I have to try.

            Nor could she return to her kingdom. Uncle Tayori didn't need her help anyways. Now that Shenobi has secured the treaty, the Shogun won't cross the Silver River. Gurinhiruzu is safe, for the time being. So there's no need for me to be a pawn in these daiymo games of power.

            Ayaka made her decision. She would follow destiny, and find the source of Seishin-yodo. People might not believe it existed anymore, but the caress of its breeze had called to her. She must search for the vision lost in her dreams, for she believed the place she had glimpsed and the source of the Seishin-yodo were one and the same. And this spirit, she was coming to realize, had been calling to her all her life, ... perhaps longer...

            First I'll seek guidance from master Enzen. If he doesn't know where to start, then I'll journey to other sanctuaries of wisdom, in other kingdoms if need be, perhaps even find the Senshin, if they still exist. The bondage of marriage and the duties of position would have to wait. This was more important. I'll leave as soon as the festival is over, maybe before. Ayaka regarded her friends, all so carefree. She could tell no one of her intentions though. For the present, it was best to savor their moments together.

            "The Dragon of Fire." Akemi pointed.

            It was the biggest yet, twisting toward Danketsu Square, a titan of coruscating metallic red and burning orange hues. It's eyes blazed, nostrils flared, and its fanged maw menaced wide. Ayaka feared a river of fire could roar from those jaws and consume them all. People voiced their awe; children who had cried earlier picked up where they'd left off, joined by other children, many hugging a parent's leg, hoping to hide from the nightmarish beast. Harumi held onto Ayaka's arm and retreated behind her like a baby chick.

            "It is the last of the Dragons," said Midori.    

            "Why?" Ayaka did not think it was an auspicious way for the parade to end. If it was up to her, this dragon would not even exist.

            "Because the seasons and elements must war before there is any hope for balance and the rebirth of spring, neh."

            At either side, and in the wake of the Dragon of Fire, a stunning display of fire-dancers marched, juggling flaming torches. This dragon awoke an unknown dread in Ayaka; however, she could not look away. When the giant serpent entered Danketsu Square, from its jagged jaws it belched a mighty gout of flame that curled high into the night, shocking thousands and making scores cower. Surely an artifice, someone inside spewing a potent concoction to a torch, but the effect was flawless. After the initial shock wore off, the spectators cheered and applauded raucously.

            "The Dragons will battle until the last day of the festival," said Midori. "After they have undergone the great struggle, they will merge and become one - the Celestial Dragon."

            The last beast passed into the main square and joined the other hulking serpents. They circled one another in a hypnotic dance, the paraders' cymbals clashing and the drums in thundering frenzy.

            A desolate foreboding gripped Ayaka, as if she had glimpsed a darkness that existed beneath this tapestry of light and life. When the Dragon of Fire issued another torrent of flame, she closed her eyes. In this moment she saw fleeting a vision of the same dragon, transforming into a column of hundreds of samurai riders in blood-red armor, hurtling over hills and through forest, to chaos.

            Opening her eyes, Ayaka took a deep breath to calm herself. The mythical beasts entered the golden temple of Tengokunodoa. At last the ritual observance of war, death, and rebirth enacted in the parade of dragons had ended, and the Spring Festival had officially begun. 

 






© 2016 Kuandio


Author's Note

Kuandio

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I've turned to animating it in my head, and I've got to say it's a pretty good anime.

I really like the story. Some of the things go over my head, mostly the technical terms for bun styles and whatnot, but it doesn't really take away from anything. The reason for that is probably because of my lack of exposure to J-culture.

I'm only four chapters in and I'm already assuming things, which is good because it gives some drive to see if I'm right, but there's A LOT of room for error given the scope of the story so I may be off by a mile.

Just a comment, there's a lot of scenery porn. It's to the point that I keep thinking of the palatial gardens too. Does she ever figure out what's so mesmerizing about them? Is there anything to find out about them? I don't know, but I'll find out. Don't believe me? Just watch.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jordan

8 Years Ago

And I'm glad you like my humor, Kuandio Sama. It has no off switch.
Kuandio

8 Years Ago

U can disregard my ruining of any surprises. I was totally drunk when I wrote that, but now I'm sobe.. read more
Jordan

8 Years Ago

Too much sake?



Reviews

I've turned to animating it in my head, and I've got to say it's a pretty good anime.

I really like the story. Some of the things go over my head, mostly the technical terms for bun styles and whatnot, but it doesn't really take away from anything. The reason for that is probably because of my lack of exposure to J-culture.

I'm only four chapters in and I'm already assuming things, which is good because it gives some drive to see if I'm right, but there's A LOT of room for error given the scope of the story so I may be off by a mile.

Just a comment, there's a lot of scenery porn. It's to the point that I keep thinking of the palatial gardens too. Does she ever figure out what's so mesmerizing about them? Is there anything to find out about them? I don't know, but I'll find out. Don't believe me? Just watch.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jordan

8 Years Ago

And I'm glad you like my humor, Kuandio Sama. It has no off switch.
Kuandio

8 Years Ago

U can disregard my ruining of any surprises. I was totally drunk when I wrote that, but now I'm sobe.. read more
Jordan

8 Years Ago

Too much sake?
One quick note, I noticed that you misspelled dragon as doragon on one occasion. Now, as for the writing itself, as always the descriptions are strong, with great attention to detail. Furthermore, you are doing a better job of cutting down on exposition--you still have a ways to go, but that you showed this much improvement in how you depicted the details of the story, shows promise. Many of the prior issues I have noted before still exist, although not quite as overbearing, so don't neglect to check for them when you revise. All in all, this story is improving slowly but surely. Good job!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Kuandio

9 Years Ago

Thank u Nusquam. Doragon is dragon in Japanese, but I know I should probably use one or the other. I.. read more
Nusquam Esse

9 Years Ago

You are incorrect about the dragon thing... that is an imitation of English (written in katakana, th.. read more
Kuandio

9 Years Ago

Oops. When I saw you'd commented on my review, my first thought was it might be about this. Amazingl.. read more
I like the author's note.
My first crack at Chapter 4.
https://diigo.com/020jsn
I loved the complex detail you put into the festival. Absolutely beautiful.
I also liked the how easily you work in the mood of Shenobi, and Ayaka/Akemi/Midori's views and hopes about peace - all while children throw rice and doragons breathe fire :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Kuandio

9 Years Ago

Thank you for your review C.Rose! I looked at the diigo. Will those always be saved somewhere? They .. read more
C. Rose

9 Years Ago

Despite the lack of action, there is a feeling of impending change.
I'll come back to this con.. read more
Kuandio

9 Years Ago

hallelujah!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1267 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 24, 2014
Last Updated on August 14, 2016
Tags: Asian, fantasy, romance, love, epic, journey, horror, spiritual, adventure, ancient, action, samurai, ninjas, Japan

Sakura no Yugen - The Princess, the Swordsman, and the Demons of Winter

*

By Kuandio


Author

Kuandio
Kuandio

CA



About
I started drawing comics when I was about four or five (not much better than dinosaur stick figures). Over time I found I couldn’t express enough through just drawing and was always adding more.. more..

Writing
Broken Stars Broken Stars

A Chapter by Kuandio


Poems Poems

A Book by Kuandio