The Council of Rulers

The Council of Rulers

A Chapter by Kuandio

 




              The coming days saw many daiymo leaders and military officials arrive in Shenobi. A  council was to be held in the palace. Working with feudal rulers, Kodai-Otosan would decide what actions to take. During this time Ayaka did not see Daisuken; not on account of the wedding custom, but because the prince was wholly occupied with urgent matters of state. Since women were not allowed to attend the council, two days before it was planned, Ayaka sought an audience with the lord of Shenobi in his meeting chamber.

            "I assure you, lord Kodai-Otosan, my uncle Tayori is prepared to honor our alliance." Ayaka sat on the floor before him. "Allow me to write him. All our samurai and ashigaru will march east if needed."

            "Thank you, my dear Denka Soranoyume," answered the lord of the South. "Your commitment is praiseworthy. Anon the council we will know what measures to be take. A bird has already been sent to Gurinhirizu. I did not call upon your kingdom's forces, yet. I only requested they be primed for any contingency."

            After Ayaka departed, she felt her offering feeble. Adding her kingdom's strength was adding a few small stones to reinforce a huge stone wall. It was the North they needed, but that alliance had not yet taken root, and whatever help might've come from it was hundreds of ri away. If Shenobi intended to move against the East, they had to mobilize the support of the greater Southern houses.

            No one knew what the council's outcome would be. Ayaka felt this unease everywhere she went, among the citizens. Outwardly it wasn't clear - the people still went about their routines - but there was a shadow in the undertones of conversations, and mirrored in their eyes. The future hinged on the council of rulers.

            On the day of the gathering, the heat and humidity were particularly oppressive. During the hour the council was being held, Ayaka sat on the white marble stairs in the palace gardens, under the shade of a large, green-leafed maple. Since troops guarded the palace grounds, she had ordered her retainers to remain at one of the entrances. She needed to be alone. On account of the heat, she wore a thin, white silk kimono. Resting a pink fan over her leg, she squinted sleepily against the glare of the walkways and terraces. Now that the hour had come, she was grateful she could not attend the council. She didn't want to experience the tension at its core. The weather was suffocating enough.

            This was her favorite spot in the gardens. During spring she'd come often to hear the susurrating bamboo, and contemplate the flowers, trees, and the pond with its gold-leaf teahouse. It was same place now it was then, but today felt different. So much stillness. Not a breeze touseled the leaves. No bird chirped. The only sound was the continual droning of the cicadas, hidden in the foliage. Throughout Shenobi a hush pervaded, a breath withheld.

            At least in this sanctuary she found a measure of solace. The unbroken calm made the council feel like it must be a hundred ri away. In such heat, there can't possibly be war. What else is such weather for but pleasure and relaxation, neh? Violence has no place in this season. The daiymo will figure out a resolution that will satisfy the Shogun. Yes, everything will turn for the better.

            At some point Ayaka dozed off, or became so drowsy she thought she had. Opening her eyes, she gazed dreamily into the distant groves. Was someone out there? She fended off sleepiness. Across the flowers and shrubs, past the conifers, a stranger turned a stand of trees, and traipsed toward the palace. The lean young man strode swift and purposeful through the garden, directly toward the stairs where she rested. He wore a loose, rain-blue haori robe, sleeves rolled up, and wide open at the neck. On his back was a large canvas pack. In one hand he transported an unstrung daikyu longbow.

            There was something strange, perhaps foreign about the way he dressed, and the manner he carried himself. Not like a daiymo, or someone who even lives in the city. Ayaka had the impression he'd arrived after a very long journey.

            A sword-ranger, she realized as he sauntered closer. She observed the singular way he walked; with determination, and a buoyancy as well, as if not burdened with worries. Halfway to the stairs he looked up and their eyes met. He smiled a little, as if not in the least surprised she was watching him. Ayaka smiled back and was about to wave and say hello, but caught herself. I don't know this man. And yet, ... why did he feel she recognized him? 

The young sword-ranger ascended the stairs. On his back, to one side, was a quiver of eagle-feathered arrows. He also wore leather forearm bracers, and a studded vest beneath the robe. It indicated he'd just arrived, and through danger. Although he'd loosened the vest and bracers, Ayaka couldn't understand how he continued enduring any of it. But other than sweating a bit, he appeared unaffected. When he was a little closer, she saw he could not be a mere ranger. The magnolia hilt of a suchiru-doragon katana at his waist gave him away. Only a Southern samurai of great prowess could wield such a blade. Since he did not look the part of a samurai, perhaps he was a destitute ronin?

            Standing three steps below her, in the shade of the maple, the stranger bowed. “Good afternoon, Denka.”

            “Good day to you too,” said Ayaka, nodding.

            They regarded each other, sharing a mysterious familiarity. Although she tried to maintain a formal demeanor, she began to smile. The severity among samurai she was used to was not present in this man. There was a playful lightheartedness in his expression, like he was on the verge of making a joke; and the humor was contagious. How unusual, she thought, for two strangers to seem to know each other; and yet, it felt the most natural thing. Where do I know him from? She searched her memory for a name. Someone from back home? Another prefecture she'd visited? A childhood friend? She was about to ask him if they'd met before, yet she knew the truth was they never had.

            The young man stood there a spell, surveying the ornate gardens and gable roofs beyond, in the way one might if they entered a city for the first time in years.

            “May I help you?” Ayaka forced herself to sound serious. He has to be lost. Surely he doesn't intend to go to the palace, all weatherworn and clad like some drifter. 

            “I don't think so, Denka, but thank you." He smiled. “Just taking a moment to catch my breath.” 

            The young man closed his eyes and took a deep breath, savoring the environs, then exhaled. “Ah, what a wonderful combination of flowers this year, neh, especially the fragrance of the ajisai and dahlia.”

            Ayaka eyed him as if he’d stumbled out of another world. How long had he been in the wilderness? “Where did you come from?” she asked.

            He motioned northwest to northeast. “Out yonder.”

            What kind of answer is that?  "So you have traveled far then?"

            “So, so. To Mistubayashi, Ao-Kuraoudo, then the borders of Shinrin and Eruku. Several weeks footing it, but I took a horse on the way back this time, so it doesn’t really count.”

            Ayaka’s jaw dropped a little. She fanned herself. Was he telling the truth? She supposed it would explain why he was so sun-bronzed.

            He noted her confusion. “Forgive me." He gave a modest bow. "I am Kenjin Tsubara, sword-ranger of Shenobi, servant to the Kasainotora family. I must always be going from somewhere to someplace else, neh. Over the mountains, through forests, across rivers, from castle to village, and so and so on, then back, and so on again.”

            “Hmm. So where are you headed now?”

            Kenjin basked in the dappled light, smiling in a daydreaming manner. He answered her question like an afterthought, “To the council. That's why I came back.”

            What on earth would he do in there? She doubted they'd let him near the entrance. The she noticed that in his other hand he held a folded parchment with an official governmental look to it.

            The young man breathed in his surroundings a lapse longer, then sighed before tucking the letter in his robe's inner pocket. He took on a graver air, his smile vanishing. "I wish I could stay longer, but I must be going. I'm a bit late." He nodded. "It has been an honor."

            Still sitting, Ayaka nodded cordially back. She watched Kenjin go by, ascending the steps. After a few strides down the walkway that led to the palace, he stopped, and turned to gaze at her. The same familiarity was present in his eyes, as well as a deeper sentiment.

            “I am your humble servant," said Kenjin Tsubara. "My sword, and my life, are forever yours, Ayaka Soranoyume.”

            He bowed, then turned and strode to the palace. 

            Ayaka was dumbfounded. How did he know my name? The heat had made her drowsy, and she’d been so surprised by his unexpected arrival that she’d forgotten to introduce herself. She meant to ask him how he knew her name, but the next time she looked he was gone. Alone again, Ayaka wondered why he'd said those words of fealty. The way he said it, she knew it had been the profoundest of oaths.  


*           *            


            The Phoenix Hall was located on ground level, near the center of the palace. A fitting place, Daisuken thought, since here the decisions that laid the foundations of the realm were made. He looked absently at the view the hall kept of the inner courtyards; a wide square of pale stones, raked and swept, guarded by large bansais. At its center stood a golden shrine of the Kyojin Phoenix, perched on an obelisk. The hall itself was of polished dark-oak floors and massive stone pillars. An overhanging roof kept the fierce daylight at bay, and the sliding windows and doors had been left ajar so the temperature within remained bearable. A good thing. Over a hundred daiymo rulers and representatives from the Southern Kingdoms had assembled along the hall's flanks and back. Everyone knelt on the peripheral floor-mats, backs upright.

            A true meeting of powers. Representatives from Shinrin and Eruku were in attendance, as well as Prince Akihiro of Ao-kudaoudo, Okata from Mitsubayashi, Harudo of the Tsuyoi Clan, Yojinsu of Sogen-no-tani, and Jiroda of Kusa-tani; among other men of authority. Save for a few arrayed in armor, they wore only kimonos. Most of the feudal lords had shaved the top of their heads, with swathes of long hair in the back, washed and oiled, tied in a topknot. All had their swords; and during proceedings often tapped the decorative pommels. Many fanned themselves frequently.

            At the front of the chamber, on a large platform five steps above the rest, sat Daisuken. To his right, at the center, Lord Kodai-Otosan sat on a luxurious cushion. Positioned next to Lord Kodai-Otosan was Shinji, looking like his father's favorite pet. At Daisuken's opposite side sat general Masuro, and other daiymo from Shenobi.

            The space down the middle of the Phoenix Hall had been left clear, occupied solely when it was someone's turn to kneel and address their contemporaries. Before any decisions were to be made, various rulers wished to have their say. Intermittingly however, speakers were interrupted by those who disagreed, or wished to add an assessment. The whole while Kodai-Otosan hardly spoke, lest the discussion grew unruly, in which case he issued a stern command to restore order.

            After Daisuken found the council tiresome, it wore on for hours still as potential plans of action were debated. He whispered to Masuro, "Why let this drag on? There is only one option left."

            "We must let them have their say," Masuro whispered back. "Following a path of such consequence, their resolve will be strengthened knowing the decision was also their own."

            Kodai-Otosan permitted open discussion to run its course. One hour trudged into the next, and talk turned graver as more spoke out of turn, and harsher. Daiymo leaned this way and that. Tenser individuals, irked by the proceedings, fanned themselves with increasing agitation.

            "Kage-waru broke the peace when he ordered the Black Hand to target the Southern families," stated Azai Mobutane in a deadpan voice. The young warlord of the Kamu Clan sat in the middle of the floor. Azai-sama wore a pale grey-blue kimono embroidered with emerald green. He had the look of a formidable warrior. "Arguing otherwise is futile. We know it was the Black Hand. We know the Shogun sent them. What I wonder is how we have allowed this outrage to continue so long? For many it is too late. I have lost several members of my family. Despite this, I have bided my time. True, we cannot retaliate against the ninja clan, not yet. It is to strike at mist. However, we can spear the body that commands that murderous hand."

            “Let us speak plainly,” said Jiroda, sitting on the side of the hall with his back to one of the pillars. The lord of Kusa-tani was stoic as ever, arms folded over his chest. "You suggest we ride to Shinrin's aid? Very well. We should support our allies, but everyone needs to be aware of where our actions will lead. Declaring war on the East is tantamount to disobeying the authority the emperor has vested in the Shogunate. The Southern Kingdoms could be cut off from the rest of Isodoro."

            "If it isn't wise yet to join in swords against Kage-waru, the very least we should do is supply Shinrin aid, by secondary means, neh?" offered Harudo.

            Okata scoffed. "Why not fight blind, with one hand tied around our crotches?" The thickset, black-bearded warlord was of the few who wore armor. "Either Kage-maru needs to be stopped, or he doesn't? Which is it? I know the answer, but council members are going back and forth like cats trying to sidestep a stream."

            Daisuken grinned. Truer words have not been uttered.

            Lord Yojinsu of Sogen-no-tani - older than most, and with a permanent dignified air about him - spoke up. "Lord Kodai-Otosan, if I may." He nodded towards the ruler of Shenobi, then proceeded with a wariness garnered from years tested in politics and warfare. "We need not seek one extreme or the other. A plethora of options are available, all which may be applied in varying degrees. For example, committing a moderate force in reserve could be sufficient to tip the balance in Shinrin's favor."

            "I agree," said another daiymo, a lord a small clan west of Shenobi.

            "This is no gamble!" Shinrin's representative threw in. He was a young man, and had been wringing his hands as he listened to the council. "My kingdom is in peril."

            Sitting beside Shinrin's representative was Eruku's representative - a middle-aged man - with whom he had arrived that morning. He nodded at his counterpart's words. "If reports concerning the Eastern host be true, such a measured intervention would not suffice."

            Numerous daiymo conversed amongst each other, murmuring their uncertainty.

            "The Black Hand has to be stopped. And we must protect our allies," said Azai, still in the middle of the floor. He spoke coolly. "There is no other way to achieve these objectives putting an end to the Shogun's plans."

            "Sending an entire army is off the table," said one daiymo, sweeping his arms horizontally. "It would be a massive and perilous undertaking that could take weeks to coordinate. Prepare we must. Howbeit, it is best we wait, observe what unfolds, then make our final decision."

            Shinrin's representative laughed over his despair. "If the rest of the South means to abandon us, there's no need to be coy!"

            "I beg you all," Eruku's representative added humbly. "Eruku and Shinrin cannot stand alone against the East."

            "And you shall not," Daisuken intervened. He was on the verge of saying more until his father signed for him to hold. The hall echoed with council members' exchanges.

            "Let me remind everyone that Kage-waru has yet to commit an act of aggression," Jiroda warned. "If we react brashly however, events could escalate beyond control. Before long, every Southern division might need to be called upon to resolve the crisis."

            "It is true, the treaty stands until he crosses the Silver River," old Yojinsu said. "Before that happens there exists a chance to sue for peace."

            "You think Kage-waru marches that horde to accompany him to Prince Daisuken's wedding?" Okata bellowed laughter until everyone had quieted and looked at him. "You all think I'm mad, neh? Perhaps, but I see the truth better than too many here. Committing every last able-bodied ashigaru and samurai is the only way."

            "I am with Okata." Akihiro nodded. The tall prince from Ao-kuraoudo wore his sapphire robe. "Diplomacy died when the Shogun sent his assassins the night of the Moon Festival. Such a monster cannot be bartered with, ... and yet, his actions belie desperation. Now is our best chance. We wait longer and the odds will tip against us."

            Daisuken nodded in accord. A little more spirit like Akihiro and Okata and enough of a fire should be lit.

            "Prince Akihiro speaks truth," Okata said. "Attempts to negotiate are as feeble as offering incense to a typhoon. The sooner we ride against that rabid dog, the better. Any who holds back, craven I name them!"

            Angry retorts erupted. Several daiymo got to their feet, pointing at Okata, calling him barbarian. Others rose to back Okata.

            "Surely we must give diplomacy another opportunity?" Yojinsu pled, raising his arms as to becalm the back and forth arguing.

            Numerous lords were of a mind to take action, yet dozens opposed war, or were simply undecided as to the method. Several rulers on one side of the spectrum or other zealously made their opinions known. The way things were going threatened to rile the council into a shouting contest.

            This is beyond belief. Daisuken slammed his fist on the oaken platform. The quarreling wilted until he commanded an uneasy silence.

            "If Fumei-noyorou wished to negotiate, they would not have recalled their emissaries months ago. Now the Shogun marches on our ancestral allies, under false pretenses," Daisuken's voice reverberated in the hall. "It is imperative we grant military support forthwith. Our kin do not have the luxury of pondering the risks."

            Steady as iron, Daisuken gazed over the council. "If our brethren are not of sufficient concern, think of the consequences if we fail to act. Once the Eastern hosts overwhelm Shinrin and Eruku, it will be a brief lull before the Shogun marches on the rest of us. Kage-waru's madness is not without strategy. He knows taking Shinrin and Eruku is the key to invading the South."

            While the rulers weighed Daisuken's words, he wanted to add that their toasts of allegiance were empty if they did not answer when the horn of Yagi-no-kami blew - but then Kodai-Otosan leaned close, so only he could hear, "You are vexed overmuch, my son. We need not leap into the fray so eagerly. Kage-waru is a greater fool than I estimated if he thinks he can harm us. The South retains more strength than he knows. In two thousand years, this city has never fallen. And Shinrin and Eruku are of the some worthy lineage as we. Kage-waru merely boasts with this army of his, like a rooster beating its wings. He would never be so reckless as to challenge the entire South. You will see, whatever is resolved ere this council, the Kyojin-Phoenix shall continue to ascend to renewed glory."

            Though he did not entirely share the appraisal, Daisuken merely nodded. His father believed Shenobi as powerful as in days of olden, and was perhaps underestimating the Shogun. Daisuken was loath to admit that the years might have blurred his father's acumen. Nevertheless, he could not bring himself to gainsay his father.

            While Daisuken brooded, council members resumed their contentious discussion. Is this hopeless? Daisuken considered doing as Okata, calling them cowards, then threatening to sever their ties to the alliance. His attention shifted however, when he noticed someone entering the back of the hall, setting a longbow by the entrance, then slinking along the flank behind the pillars.

            Recognizing the man, Daisuken got up and went to the side of the hall. The feudal lords were so immersed in their dispute that few seemed to notice the newcomer, nor Daisuken leaving the platform. Behind one of the pillars, he met the young man.

            "Master Daisuken," said the sword-ranger, kneeling, his hands flat down, and bowing until his brow touched the mat.

            "Arise," Daisuken ordered. When he did, Daisuken clasped him on the shoulder, greeting him with a hearty smile. "Well met, Kenjin-san. I take it your entry was not inconvenienced this time?"
            "The guards let me pass. Masuro's chastisement seems to have paid off."

            "Good," Daisken said. "Although I did not expect you back so soon, I am glad you have come, and unscathed at that."

            "As I, my master," Kenjin answered. "It is one of the benefits of always staying ahead of one's enemies."

            Daisuken chuckled. "You truly are the South's fastest ranger. I do not know what we would do without you."

            "Nor I without you," said Kenjin, bowing. "I live to serve the Kasainotra family."

            Daisuken swelled with pride for this outlander, once lost, who he had helped shape into the fine young warrior standing before him. He appraised the sword-ranger a short while longer, then asked, "So tell me, Kenjin-san, how did your reconnaissance fare?"

            "It was no small feat infiltrating the Misuto Forests." Kenjin paused, looking at Daisuken, then to the council past the stanchions. "Did any birds from Shinrin arrive today or yesterday?"
            "No. Why do you ask?"

            "So the news I bring from Shinrin is more important than I thought." Kenjin reached for the folded letter inside his robe.

            "Wait." Daisuken touched Kenjin's hand. "Come, sit with me. Share what you have learned with the council, including the contents of this letter."

            Daisuken and Kenjin reentered the main hall, and sat on the high platform. Presently, Fumio, the most renowned starseer of the South, had taken to the floor's center. Due to Fumio's old age, Kodai-Otosan bid him stand, if so he wished, and he did. The hunched starseer looked unnaturally decrepit; nevertheless his presence emanated a vigor, especially his eyes, iris-less and pale-clouded since birth. He wore a long, white kasaya robe, and his knurled fingers clutched a wooden scepter. For an interval he stood, head up, as if searching the sky with his spirit vision.

            "There are those among you loathe to defy the Shogun," the starseer's voice creaked into the silence. "It is true, blood ties once united the Southern families with those of the East. That was when Isodoro was an empire governed by honor." Fumio appraised the lords with his opalescent eyes, staring into nothingness, and seemingly through them.

            "But who is the Shogun now?" Fumio posed them. "Does his station's authority endure? Have any of you ever held palaver with him? Nay. How could you when all these years since his treachery he has not presented himself to a single council. Then how can you know who truly rules in the East?"

            Silence followed. The ancient starseer grinned. "Very well. I shall tell you why Kage-waru has not shown himself," Fumio said. "He does not rule any longer. Not for decades."

            Dozens of council members spoke in hushed tones. Here and there were subdued chuckles. Daisuken had been undecided about letting the starseer speak. Although he didn't believe in his omens, many in the South did. Despite of his skepticism, Daisuken had to admit that Fumio's predictions were rarely known to err. Just coincidence, or something more? Regardless, if there was a chance the starseer might sway the rulers, there was nothing to lose by allowing to speak.

            "The Shogun who marches is an imposter, a deceiver," said Fumio. The muffled laughter did not faze the starseer, and his inexorable focus soon quieted the hall. "Who is he then? An even better question - what is he? I have sought this answer. In the dark watches of night, my spirit-vision has roamed the Misuto Forests, only to find mists and shadow obscuring everything east. When I strive towards the Shogunate's chamber, to the heart of our adversary, ... it seizes me!" The starseer shook his staff. "A blindness of spirit! An ineffable terror!"

            Fumio held up a gnarled hand, gesturing for them to hearken closer. "It is a vital revelation. For I reserve no doubt that a spirit of darkness dwells in the east, a nightmare hidden in mists. Veils of deception have overtaken any vestige of the man who was once Kage-waru. Our enemy is no daiymo - he is now, a Shadow Shogun."

            A few isolated scoffs followed, but the severity of Fumio's tone and demeanor did not let most rulers stray from the solemn air. The starseer's doomful words had reached Daisuken too.

            "If you seek proof, pay heed to reports from lands  bordering the east, where the kuro-shi sickness spreads, corrupting wilderness, blackening streams, people falling ill, dying wretchedly, and worse. And the reach of this bane stretches." Fumio pivoted to look around the hall. "And what of the Black Hand's cult of death? How have they caused such chaos? They drink of the same dusky font, I tell you. The Akuma no Yona possesses them, it gives them their wraithlike stealth.

            "And why do so many who venture the marchland paths never return? Bands of renegade samurai are blamed, but what warriors could be as brutally strong as those purported to have raided the outposts and mountain villages? They are demons, I tell you, likened to the hellion spawned in ages gone."

            A couple representatives laughed aloud. Though the majority did not believe in monsters and myths, a few argued it could be true.

            "There are things in the world we cannot understand," one daiymo claimed. "Spirits and other powers unknown to us."

            “Very well. Even if one jot of it is true, how can we prove it involves Fumei-noyorou?” Harudo said, then waved the notion aside. “Far too much supposition and superstition for my taste.”

            Another spoke, "What if our allies are exaggerating reports to drag us into conflict on their behalf?"

            The seer fixed them with his blank glare. "Whether you believe or no, I assure you, the Shadow Shogun cannot be trusted. Evil is afoot in the East. I have felt it surely as a winter wind in early autumn, and what it intends for the South is a doom deeper than death." Fumio gripped his scepter tight. "You must take action before the sun falls, and twilight passes to night. Versus the Akuma no yona power, trusting in your swords will not be sufficient. Lest all be lost, you must find power in the Seishin-yodo."

            An uncomfortable quiet engulfed much of the Phoenix Hall. Whether or not one believed in evil spirits, it couldn't be denied that over the course of his long years, Fumio knew more than most about the world seen and unseen. Daisuken sensed the starseer's portents like a winter cloud over him. What will happen to me and my men when we ride east if the Shogun's forces are empowered by Akuma no Yona? It did not bode well for the conflict. Then Daisuken almost laughed aloud. Do not be a fool. Akuma or no, we shall crush the Shogun.

            The council's disquieted state went on until a feudal lord spoke up. "Of these evil happenings you speak, has anyone here seen them with their own eyes?"

            Masuro whispered to Daisuken.

            Now? Why the hell not? On Daisuken's signal, the sword-ranger stood and descended to take Fumio's place on the floor.

            "My name is Kenjin Tsubara," he said, kneeling before everyone. "It is with great honor that I address the council. I've witnessed the things Fumio speaks of. I've scouted the - "

            "Who is this?" a feudal lord demanded. "Tsubara? That is an outcast's name."

            "He's neither daiymo or samurai, and he speaks to us as if we should believe a word he says," added a second ruler.

            "He's a sword-ranger, and a worthy one," Okata rebutted. "He came to Mitsubayashi to deliver Shenobi's proposal for alliance."

            Nevertheless, other warlords continued their declamations, considering it an insult Kenjin was allowed a place in the council. The sword-ranger did not speak, and did his best to hide a faint smile.

            "I cannot base my decisions on what a ragged mountain man has to say," stated the same feudal lord. "An outlander has no place here."

            At first Daisuken was taken off guard by these reactions. He had never brought Kenjin to such a meeting before.

            "He is no outcast," Daisuken interceded. "Though he hails from the Sora Mountains, Kenjin Tsubara has been under Shenobi's wardenship since he was a child. I personally trained him in the path of bushido. Be he from the northeast, or across the Sea of Kodaina Suiro, he is Phoenix samurai in spirit and bravery, and for the last fifteen years has served the South honorably. But he is more than a retainer. Indeed, most of you have heard of him already, as the Sword of Sora-yama."

            Like a teapot removed from the fire, the daiymos' grumblings simmered down and they withheld further repudiations. Perhaps they were just noticing the hilts and scabbards of Kenjin's blades, and realizing it was true.

            "He knows the South and country along its borders better than any of us. He has just returned from the East. Hear what he has to say." Daisuken spoke soberly. "If you cannot confide in him, then you should not trust me either. I vouch, that in battle, if there is one man I would choose to stand at my side, it would be Kenjin-san. And good Masuro, of course." Daisukn nodded towards the general.

            With the council focused on him, Kenjin began, "It's true I wasn't born in the South, but the Kasainotora family is like my own, and my fealty is with Shenobi and her allies." He took a breath, then continued louder so all could hear clearly, "I've scouted the marchlands along the Silver River and the Misuto Forests. The kuro-shi plague is real, and its source flows from Fumei-noyorou, just as it did ten years ago when the lands were afflicted. Nomin have died in greater numbers than counted for. As for the Akuma samurai, they're no legend. The war parties marauding the villages along the borderlands - that's their work. Believe me. I've crossed paths with them more than once. Last spring I chanced on one of their death-camps. It took me nearly two days before I got to Sabishi-iwa outpost, and lucky to be in one piece."

            Kenjin looked to Masuro, who nodded. "I don't know where they come from," proceeded Kenjin, "or what they are, but they're not men. One was slain at Sabashi-iwa. They kept the arm, and the body was sent to Shinrin-oka so Lord Ryudono could see it."

            Kenjin turned to Shinrin's representative. The young dignitary cleared his throat uncomfortably. "Lord Ryudono saw the corpse, and so did I. My lord thought it an ill omen, and was going to burn it, but after speaking with our starseers he chose to preserve the body as a trophy." The representative seemed reluctant to go on. "Truth be told, it did not appear wholly human. Large, grey, brutish and muscular, with black-clawed fingers. I deemed it an evil, and wished my lord would have incinerated it."

            The council muttered in astonishment. Kenjin did not wait, "I wouldn't talk of such things, if it wasn't that all evidence points to the likelihood this unknown warrior class serves the Shogun, same as the Black Hand. If you're going east, you need to know what you might be facing. And it's my guess that most of the Akuma ranks have been held in reserve." Kenjin eyed them steadily. "Fortunately, I can attest that even though this enemy is highly formidable, they are not invincible."

            In passing, Daisuken had heard of Kenjin's reports on this matter, and had largely written them off. Kenjin had been alone in the wilderness, running for days. It wasn't uncommon for one's perceptions to become distorted under such duress; and in mist and shadows this could be worse yet. Now, however, Lord Ryudono had supposedly seen evidence. A dark doubt invaded Daisuken's certainty.

            "But I didn't rush back from Shinrin to talk about these things. The tidings I've brought are far more urgent." An immediacy took over Kenjin's tone. "A week and a half ago, me and two other rangers spied on this great eastern host everyone's talking about. The rumors are true. Over a hundred thousand are marching under the Kyojin-Wolf's banners. There were foreign recruits as well, at least we reckoned so, archers, maybe from a distant kingdom in Isodoro, or even across the sea. But this might not be our most pressing matter either.

            Gods, what was Kenjin-san getting at? Daisuken wondered. First Akuma, then hordes, and now?

            "Coming back south I crossed paths with riders from Shinrin. They'd been galloping hard and a few were badly wounded. Endo Tadamoto, their commander, informed me that they'd lost Hittadori Bridge."

            "Lost?" asked Shinrin's representative. "How do you mean? That is impossible."

            "With all eyes on the main host, no one was aware that a secondary force diverged," Kenjin said. "In a surprise attack this force beat the defenses at Hittadori Bridge, and now hold the crossing."

            The council members spoke amongst each other, grumbling, cursing, some in disbelief, others indignant. This signified that Kage-waru's divisions could invade at two points. Daisuken leaned forward, glowering, and hoped the ill news Kenjin-san had brought had finally been emptied.

            "If true, these are dire tidings," said Jiroda, his arms folded over his chest. "Forgive my incredulity, but what proof is there?"

            "Yes. Why didn't commander Tadamoto send any birds?" asked Yonjinsu. "Faster than sending a ranger, neh?"

            "He did. The last of his outpost," Kenjin provided. "But he entrusted me with the message too, in case the birds were lost. If they haven't landed yet, I'm afraid they probably won't be. Along the borderlands our enemies have been using a vicious breed of hawk. Most likely one of these tore the birds out of the sky."

            "Work of the Black Hand," said Fumio. "Another of their devilish arts."

            The rulers were mulling the information over. One asked, "Why has Shinrin not sent us these tidings directly?"

            "Word surely got to Shinrin-oka by now. Their birds should be here by tomorrow," Kenjin responded. "Commander Tadamoto bade that I make haste. Every hour counted, he said. I simply got here sooner."

            "Let us see the letter," Kodai-Otosan requested.

            Kenjin rose, walked up the steps, and knelt on the one beneath the lord of Shenobi, bowing as he conferred the missive. Kodai-Otosan inspected the letter. "It bears Shinrin's official stamp," he said before passing it to Daisuken. "Read it to the council."

            Daisuken carefully unfolded the parchment. Right away he recognized the writ. He'd met commander Tadamoto not long ago, and exchanged missives with him on several occasions. "These are indeed the commander's words," he told the council, then read aloud:

            "It is with terrible shame that I, Endo Tadamoto, report that I have lost Hittadori Bridge. We lowered our guard by sending reinforcements north. We were not ready, but as commander I must bear the blame. In deep mists the enemy came. We couldn't see them until they fell upon us. Their ranks were comprised of an unknown warrior class, larger and more brutal than I've encountered. We lost nearly all our garrison. It was all we could do to escape to try and send word. For this loss I have only myself to blame, and I will commit seppuku, but first I vow to set things aright. Shirin must retake the bridge. We will call upon Eruku as well. We ask for immediate aid from the Southern Kingdoms.

            I fear war has begun.

            Signed, Endo Tadamoto

            Daisuken lowered the letter. He knew the signature well enough too.

            The sultry air in the Phoenix Hall asphyxiated. The representative from Shinrin looked ill. Before long scores of daiymo were shouting, their curses echoing as they denounced the Shogun. The complexion of the situation had changed swiftly; a sky obscured by a rush of storm clouds.

            “Kage-waru!" growled Okata, grinding his fist into his palm. "I'll slay that b*****d!"

            Daisuken tried to calm his mind, to strategize. An iron fury was on him though, and without realizing he was crushing the letter. Before destroying it, he passed it to Masuro.

            "It is time to take vengeance!" young Azai Mobutane declared.

            "It appears all attempts at diplomacy have indeed failed," said Masuro after reading the letter.

            Things are moving faster than foreseen. If the Shogun ever crossed the Silver River, thus breaching the treaty, the Southern Kingdoms had vowed to respond militarily. Attacking an outpost, ... well, the treaty was dead and cold now.

            "We can still retake the Hittadori Bridge, and reach the Tozaibashi crossing," Masuro said. "But we have to move fast. Shinrin and Eruku will not wait."

            "How long do you deem we have before our allies engage?" Daisuken asked.

            "Three days at most. We will have to ride hard."

            Daisuken turned to his father. Kodai-Otosan was frowning, stern as a rock, his gaze distant. After stewing it over a moment longer, he nodded in resignation. "If Shinrin and Eruku fall, nothing but hills and forests separate us and the Eastern armies. The Shogun and his dogs must be beaten back. His reign must be brought to an end."

            "As Sword Arm of the South, I would see it done," said Daisuken.

            Kodai-Otosan regarded him solemnly, then nodded. "Very well. You will lead two divisions: ten thousand samurai, and ten thousand elite ashigaru. Retake Hittadori Bridge, then strike north to support Lord Ryudono's host."

            Daisuken was on the verge of objecting, to say he needed more men, but his father spoke first, "That is one third of the entire Kyojin Phoenix army, and over half of our horses. We cannot risk more. I am confident this force will prove more than sufficient to repel Kage-waru's invasion. The rest of the divisions will remain to defend the homeland, but all will be prepared to follow, or strike from another flank, if the need arises. And the Hiryu are yours to command. That gives you another ten thousand."

            Daisuken bowed. In truth, he was surprised his father had approved such a large force, and also, he maintained great faith in his father's strategic foresight.

            "I trust you to see it done, my son," said Kodai-Otosan, a gleam in his eyes. "A father could not be prouder. One day you will make a greater ruler than I ever was."

            "Everything I achieve, I shall forever owe to you," Daisuken thanked his father, bowing again with his fist to his palm.

            Daisuken stood and turned his attention to the council. He used a voice of deepest authority. "Many of you are hesitant to challenge the Shogun, but he has already brought his wrath against you." He appraised the rulers on either side of the hall. "Kage-waru acts brazenly, because, compared to the glory of our past, the Southern Kingdoms is a fragmented realm. If there is one thing Kage-waru fears above all else, is that we unite as in days of our ancestors." He held up a fist. A savage intensity burned in him. "Let us show the East that the kindred bonds which once unified us have not past to history, and that we are yet of one spirit."

            Most of the rulers nodded and voiced their agreement.

            "Ere the day ends, I lead thirty thousand men to Shinrin. Who among you will don armor and sword with us? Who among you wish to stand with me, and show everyone, the emperor, and the gods, that we will never let the Shogun take Isodoro?"

            An overwhelming majority shouted in agreement. Daisuken wished to heap wood on the fire, and so he bellowed until his body trembled, "Are we the Southern Kingdoms!?"

            The chamber ascended into an uproar. Those few who yet sought for cooler heads to prevail had lost. Scores of feudal lords stood in Daisuken's favor. The chants began: "One South! One South!" - and - "Daisuken! Daisuken!"

            One after another, the lords knelt in the middle of the floor at foot of stairs, and vowed to lead their clans with him. The representative from Shinrin thanked Kodai-Otosan and Daisuken over and over, barely able to restrain his tears. Only a handful of daiymo, such as Yojinsu, decided to wait for word from Shinrin before acting. Others had to return to their states to muster their warriors. The rest would ride behind Daisuken, or converge to follow in his wake. Then the rulers strategized how they would employ their regiments and divisions, and they were inspirited with anticipation of battle and glory.

            While the others conferred, Daisuken put a hand on the general's shoulder. "Masuro-san, assemble the divisions. We set out before the sun falls."

            "Yes, Lord Daisuken." Masuro rose, bowed, and strode from the Phoenix Hall.       

            Okata approached Daisuken, and spoke fiercely of what was to be done. Even though the warlord was chomping at the bit to engage the enemy at Hittadori Bridge, it was decided logistically wiser to converge with Daisuken's forces further north.

            Prince Akihiro knelt before Daisuken. "Ao-kuraoudo is now a brother to the South. I will ride back to Shiro-ganseki to mobilize our horsemen, and personally lead the vanguard. If the standard of the Kyojin Phoenix is to be raised, the White-Tiger shall run beside it!"

            Prince Akihiro stood and he and Daisuken clasped each others shoulders. Daisuken said, "It will be an honor to share the field with the blue samurai." He bowed.

            "I will find you in Shinrin," said Akihiro. With that he bowed, wheeled about, and withdrew from the great hall to find his company of retainers with whom he would ride the long road back to Ao-kuraoudo.

            Daisuken then coordinated with fellow commanders. Once it was agreed that they would join him north of Shenobi and ride to Shinrin as one army, those that yet had to return to their states expeditiously left the Phoenix Hall to make preparations.

            “Kenjin-san," Daisuken said, "I am sorry to dispatch you again so soon after you’re arrival, but I trust your eyes and ears above all others. I need you to move out ahead of us” 

            “Your will is my own.” Kenjin nodded. “Anyhow, the wilds always beckon me back.”        

            “Swiftness is imperative. Take from the stables the best thoroughbred tsuyoi steed. Go to Emerald-stream outpost. Learn what you can from our allies. Then have their scouts relay us any information.”

            “Yes master.” Kenjin bowed and went at a run, snatching up his long-bow at the entrance, and leaving the palace.


*            *           *


            Ayaka sat in the garden, on the stairs under the shade of the maple. She began praying when she saw the feudal lords departing. Their grim-set countenances and hurried strides told her enough.

            When Daisuken found her she stood up. For a moment she remembered they weren't supposed to see each other before the wedding. It didn't matter anymore.

            "Before dusk I depart for Shinrin with three divisions."

            Ayaka’s heart plummeted. She tried not to wince at this. It felt harder to breathe.

            "Will this never end?" she asked. "How many times must you leave me? Won't there ever be peace?"

            “We must believe there shall be," Daisuken answered. "But first this tempest must be braved. After it is done, I will not leave you again."

            Ayaka put her arms around the prince and pressed against him as if she did not mean to let him leave. Tears welled in her eyes and her voice was uneven. "Please, ... don't go,... I beg you." 

            “The men need me. In this hour, all of Shenobi needs. I will fulfill my duty. Fear not. Shenobi does not go alone. With the other lords and their men, there will be nigh sixty thousand in our allied host. Together, we shall send Kage-waru's hosts yelping back whence they came." He gently cupped her chin, so she looked to him. "Continue with the wedding preparations. The date shall not be postponed. I promise to return three days before, at latest. Then we will celebrate our victory, and you shall be my wife.” He kissed her, and spoke with an honesty that did not allow her to doubt, "I have never been happier than with you. The future we will share, it shall be like a dream."


             A few hours later, as the sun neared the horizon, thousands and thousands of people had gathered to either side of Hanibara Street, unto the Jade Gates, to see their prince and the Kyojin-Phoenix divisions off. Columns of mounted armored samurai and ashigaru formed ranks, their spears catching the westering light. Men, women, and children, cried out their support.

            Beside the cherry trees which the prince had shown Ayaka during the Spring Festival, she and Daiskuken now stood again. Green leaves rustled on the branches - all the sakura were gone, nothing more than a memory. Daisuken wore an ancestral suit of armor, fierce and red, composed of lacquered and studded leather and metal plates over umber hues. He carried a halberd; a dagger and hato short-sword were at his belt, and the long-sword of dragon-steel was strapped to his back. Ayaka sensed the anticipation of the multitudes, which were abuzz with pride and fear. 

            Before Daisuken was to walk to the head of Hiryu ranks where his mighty charger awaited him, he and Ayaka embraced. Any notions of marriage tradition no longer mattered to either. Ceremony or no, he is my husband. They held each other a long while. Ayaka wanted to eternalize this moment, but the army was waiting. Accompanying him to his horse, she made sure her steps were slow.

            “I love you, Daisuken-sama." Saying the words made her ache deep within.

            "I know,” he answered. “But never as much as I love you, Ayaka Soranoyume."

            They released each other’s hands, fingers unclasping in a caress. The prince mounted up and the crowds cheered raucously. Their confidence of victory helped fortify Ayaka's faith. 

            “I will wait for you here, my dear husband,” she said.

            “By the river” Daisuken said. “For when I return, I want you to be the first person I see, my sweet wife, my beautiful swan.”

            Daisuken raised his lightening bolt kabuto helmet. The cries of thousands were deafening. The prince donned his fearsome helmet and unsheathed the dragon-steel katana, raising it as if to pierce the sky and invoke the god of lightening. As he did so, the thirty thousand warriors behind him lifted their spears. The crimson banners of the Phoenix flapped in the sun-downing wind, and the people clamored. Amid the standard bearers and the ranks of Hiryu, the battle-horn of Yagi-no-kami brayed. Its resonant blast echoed far and wide, against the city walls, and over to the hills, as if to let the Shogun know his challenge had been answered.

            With a thundering of hooves, Daisuken lead the thirty thousand Southern warriors through the Jade Gates. Wherever they galloped, the earth trembled.


 


 




© 2017 Kuandio


Author's Note

Kuandio

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

vistas is another culturally out of place word, in my opinion.

"with a three divisions"

Again, I didn't enjoy when the story stopped to listen to men talk about a plan. Yes, the information was interesting, but you had already hinted at it and the back and forth on multiple issues slowed down the story. I believe each point would have more power if the discussion were succinct.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Kuandio

9 Years Ago

Thank you, good advice about making it more succinct
Overall though, in terms of the events p.. read more
C. Rose

9 Years Ago

My first thought is that this is more of a 'release' chapter that gives more answers and follow thro.. read more
Typos
(It frightened her and at the same she wanted to laugh) - missing word
(She started writing te lines of the poem) - missing letter
(She turned around and received the flower, and his embrace, and kissed him.) - I recommend removing the first comma or even turning 'and received" to "to receive". Currently the and, and, and, feels choppy.
( He continued to breath in his surroundings for a bit) - breathe
(parley) is French in origin. It feels strange to include words saturated in non-Japanese culture - especially because, though I am not proficient in Japanese history, I doubt there was any French/Japanese cross over at the time of your plot line.

(The kyogi-kai chamber was located near the center of the palace..........) and several paragraphs down, I had difficulty realizing whose perspective this was. I guessed it might be Kenjin or the prince - but I didn't pick up on context clues until much farther down.

Positives
The repeated "was the month of" is a good way to link the passing of time without shouting HEY READER, TIME IS MOVING FORWARD AGAIN.
The great thing about giving so much detail about Kenjin in chapter one is that it was fun to realize who the stranger is long before you give his name.


I have to cut this review short. I got to line “Why don’t we speak plainly” . I'll finish up later- I just didn't want to risk losing what I've written so far.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Kuandio

9 Years Ago

Hey, thanks for coming back to this story! I need your help!
Thanks for the corrections.
.. read more
C. Rose

9 Years Ago

"long break"? It was a pre-meditated 30 days! :P

From the beginning I was convinced tha.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

707 Views
2 Reviews
Added on June 23, 2014
Last Updated on February 8, 2017
Tags: romance, ninja, samurai, japanese, asian, adventure, horror, tragedy, love, fantasy, epic, spiritual

Sakura no Yugen - The Princess, the Swordsman, and the Demons of Winter

*

By Kuandio


Author

Kuandio
Kuandio

CA



About
I started drawing comics when I was about four or five (not much better than dinosaur stick figures). Over time I found I couldn’t express enough through just drawing and was always adding more.. more..

Writing
Broken Stars Broken Stars

A Chapter by Kuandio


Poems Poems

A Book by Kuandio