A Storm in the East

A Storm in the East

A Chapter by Kuandio

  

 


          After events at the palace, security was increased tenfold. Since none of the other ninja had been found, it was possible they were still be in Shenobi, plotting another strike. The palace was on lockdown, and Phoenix Guards stood at every entrance and manned the parapets day and night. Anyone entering or leaving the city had to pass a thorough checkpoint at the Jade Gates. Ayaka thought it a vain effort. Ninja were experts of disguise. Most likely they'd fled Shenobi. However, knowing they were at large, coupled with the suspicion that traitors hid themselves among the palace servants, made Ayaka jumpy, and mistrustful of people she didn't know well. This apprehension was sharpened when she reminded herself the assassins had come for her.

            Poor Miyu and Hiroe. They shouldn't have died in my place. They had been beautiful, humble, their smiles brightening Ayaka's days. Though their deaths grieved her, she did not know what else to do but burn incense, and offer prayers so their spirits might find their way to Takamagahara.

            The same honors were rendered the others who had fallen. Ten retainers perished that night; three Phoenix Guards. In addition were the six daiymo who had been brutally murdered. Due to their injuries, over a dozen retainers teetered on the edge of death. The ninja had utilized a potent venom, probably from a rare breed of mamushi snake. Another sign the Black Hand was responsible. Anyone even nicked by their weapons before long had drowned in a dark sleep, then death. The only reason some endured was thanks to the physicians' application of counteragents.

            On two separate occasions Ayaka visited Masuro in the infirmary. The general was unconscious, and his condition waning. Ayaka doubted he would awaken. Perhaps it was because of his robust nature, and the treatments from the physicians and master herbalists; after three days, Masuro stirred, though remained bedridden. There were those who said his recovery was duly owed to starseer magic, used to drive out the poison's evil kami.

            If only something could be done for the others, thought Ayaka. A few of the wounded had recuperated; unfortunately for most it was probably too late. Hopefully the same was not true of the political ramifications caused by the assassinations of the daiymo. Alliances with Hokusei and Midorasu had already faltered. At least Prince Akihiro and the rest of the daiymo guests had come through unscathed. However, regardless if Ayaka was Raiju's niece, the murders of Shiroteka and the northern dignitaries did not bode well for a partnership with the North Kingdom.

            "That's why they were targeted," Ayaka had said to her aunt when she came to see her in the palace early in the morning after the bloody disaster. "And that's why they were looking for me. The Shogun will never allow the North and South to join against him."

            "We don't know for certain what their aims were," her aunt replied. "There isn't even any proof the Shogun was behind it. But we can be certain of one thing. Something like this will never happen again."

            Ayaka refrained from answering. She did not wish to break Noribuko's fragile assurances. Her aunt wanted to believe her niece was safe, that everything would resolve itself. Yet a sense of guilt told Ayaka that her ties with the Kasainotora family had instigated the terrible event. And she knew she would have been among the victims if not for going to Midori and Akemi's room. It was blind luck that spared you.

            In the following days - despite the physicians' best efforts - the tally of casualties worsened as eight succumbed to their wounds. Twenty four dead in total. An unparalleled sum as far as isolated assassination attacks went.

            Thereafter the north-wing of palace was haunted by the shadow of death. At times Ayaka sensed it like a grim presence, which grew colder when she walked near the corridors where people had been slain. Much to her chagrin, the royal family bade her not leave the palace under any circumstances. Returning to stay at the Bathhouse Inn was far too risky of course, but neither could she remain trapped here indefinitely. After two days cloistered away, Ayaka concealed a long kaiken dagger in her sash, and made to go into the city.

            "Please, Denka Soranoyume, just wait," Shinji-san importuned.

            They stood in the palace's outer courtyard. It was a sunny morning. Ayaka had ordered the Phoenix Guard to let her through, but one had first gone to inform the palace servant of her intentions.

            "Kodai-Otosan will have me hung upside down if he finds out I let you out."

            "Oh, and what am I supposed to do?" she asked. "Hide here forever?"

            "I beg you, grant me a few hours. I shall speak with Prince Daisuken. I believe there was a solution in the works. Perhaps they are ready."

            Reluctantly, Ayaka yielded. That afternoon she returned to the courtyard. Daisuken stood in her path this time, and he was not alone. Nine elite Hiryu samurai stood in full suits of red, lacquered armor, each wearing dual swords and holding spears upright.

            "Your personal retainers." Daisuken motioned to the unit. "The best, most trusted men of my regiment. From now on, they shall obey your every command, and safeguard you wherever you go."

            Ayaka disliked the idea of having a company of heavily armed warriors escort her at each step, but she could not argue against it. Most suspected the assassins who infiltrated the palace belonged to the Black Hand. Also, old rumors - ones she'd dreaded for years - had been dug up to further steal her peace of mind. The ninja order had made an irrevocable pact with the Akuma no Yona, so it was said, and thus attained occult knowledge and powers. Among these were the ability to sense their quarry from many ri away, psychic powers, and to see clear in blind darkness. Considering the damage inflicted the night of the Moon Festival, Ayaka thought there might be truth to the rumors. It would also explain how they had infiltrated her family's castle and reached her father with such startling efficacy. Thinking of such things, Ayaka wanted an army of samurai at her side.

            Despite her misgivings and the royal family's strong warnings against these outings, Ayaka ventured into the city nearly daily to visit Noribuko, Harumi, and her friends, going to the inn, and certain gardens or teahouses. Though she wanted to feel the freedom of before, everything had changed. The nine retainers guarded her at every turn, shielding her from the populace. They were the most stone-faced individuals she'd ever known; relentless in their fealty, flawless in their coordination as a unit. They marched her unto her doorway. At least she never had to order them to go no further. Throughout the night they guarded her chambers, taking shifts to sleep so three of them would remain awake at all times.

            Their presence reassured Ayaka. Then again, the ninja had killed many well-trained palace guards without getting scathed in the process -  except the one who' been caught. Surely, despite all their retainers, none of Shenobi's daiymo felt truly safe anymore

            It was the Black Hand. They came to finish with you what they started with your father.

            Ayaka fought against her doubts, which whispered that not the heightened security, nor Shenobi's walls, or all the warriors of the South could protect those the Black Hand hunted. She used to envision freedom in the mountains and forests. Now, for the first time she perceived menace in what lay beyond the city. Dark things haunted the wildernesses of Isodoro. Shenobi had become an island of protection in an uncertain ocean.

 

*          *          *

 

            The days marched on from the end of June to the beginning of July, the month of cicadas. With the wedding four weeks away, the Kasainotora family decided to go ahead with it as planned.

            "Postponement would be a sign of weakness," Kodai-Otosan had expressed to her when they met in the Phoenix Chamber several days after the Moon Festival. "And we must never let the acts of craven enemies dictate our actions."

           Ayaka's focus shifted towards the occasion, and her anticipation grew. I will not let anything cast a pall on the most important day of my life. Fortune was turning in Shenobi's favor again. Masuro made a full recovery; and although some alliances had tentatively halted, conflict did not spread in the South. Notwithstanding Okata'a petitions to ride against the East, Lord Kodai-Otosan decided against seeking vengeance, until absolutely certain upon who to deliver it. Ayaka knew Shenobi would seek retribution, but for the time being, day by day, outwardly the situation calmed, like the surface of a lake stilling in the absence of wind. She hoped the terror of the Moon Festival was only an isolated incident, like an ink spill which mars an otherwise perfect white sheet of paper. Even this can be cleansed, with hope, and time, she wanted to believe.

                The season surely helped gentle her fears. These were the longest, hottest and most humid days of the year. In the surrounding forests and fields, the sibilating song of the cicadas could be heard until one might be lulled into forgetting the cicadas were there at all. Life slowed to a near halt. Ayaka always carried a fan, and she had to squint and shade her eyes when walking the white cobblestone streets. The warmth embraced her. Midsummer was a time of abundance, sunshine, food, pastimes, and festivities; a time one could rest, and believe in the goodness that seemed more ephemeral in other seasons.

            Only once did Ayaka doubt the course she was taking, and everything in which she had come to trust. She was standing in the palace gardens one late noon, when a breeze rustled the bamboo and maples. She sensed it was a whisper from the ancient spirit she had sought in her dreams, calling to her again. A deep longing for this mystery stirred in her, but she closed her eyes, and let it wash through her. She whispered back to the trees and wind, "I can longer search for you. What I have now is real, ... the rest, ... was a dream ..."

            Her greatest wish was to be a good wife and a princess the South could be proud of. She wanted to make Daisuken as happy as possible, and due her part to protect the kingdoms.

            When the wedding was three weeks away, Ayaka and Noribuko reviewed a checklist of wedding preparations. Due to security matters, it had become more complicated to accommodate guests. Carrier pigeons flew from the tower. Some returned with letters from nobles bestowing their blessings, but canceling their plans to attend, giving this or that as an excuse. Ayaka was not fooled. At least Akihiro will be staying. The prince from Ao-kuraoudo was loath to depart Shenobi now that he had grown close to Midori. Notwithstanding a few absences, it would be the grandest ceremony in generations; and with samurai units everywhere, no doubt the safest.

            Tradition bid that during the last two weeks before the wedding, bride and groom not see each other. Therefore with three weeks left, Daisuken visited Ayaka whenever a gap in his duties permitted. They took the carriage through the city, and once even went outside the walls. A large contingent of Hiryu riders guarded them, but at the river Daisuken ordered the men to hold position at a distance to allow him and Ayaka time alone to walk by the Sukai River. Although it defied decorum, Daisuken and Ayaka also found secret places in the palace to be alone, to be close, to feel each other like, and forget time, the world, and everything in it.

            When a day before the final two weeks remained, they spent the afternoon together, wandering the corridors of the high donjon. This would be their last meeting before the ceremony. Since the donjon was the palace's securest quarter, they went without retainers. By and by they emerged on the donjon's highest balcony. It granted a view south over the city, and Lake Seinaru, shimmering like a sea. The sun hovered near the meridan. Daisuken held her in his arms as they drank in the view. 

            "I have not forgotten our aspirations," he said. "I promise to bring peace to the realms. Then Isodoro shall be yours."

            "All of it? I think that's too much, neh?"

            "I mean you will be free to go wherever you wish and never have to worry."

            "Then I'd visit the sea," Ayaka said. "I've never been." She paused, then spoke more seriously. "But there's nowhere I desire to be other than in Shenobi, with you."

            Her honesty surprised her. At one time she thought she'd never learn to love this man in a way worthy of him. It was disarming to realize how much she now needed him. Daisuken was the center of her life, the pillar of her strength and all the reassurance she ever needed.

            Ayaka turned, looking up at him. Whatever dangers came, they would face them together. Emotions tided in her, some which she did not understand. She could have cried, but instead kissed him.

            Gazing over Lake Seinaru again, she placed his arms closer around her waist, and leaned into him. Someone finally had her, someone who would never let her fall, and would protect her from any danger. The sun sank in the west, and they beheld its light over the waters and the horizon.

           

*          *          *

 

            The next week proved the hottest of the year. As the wedding drew near, Noribuko consulted with members of the Kasainotora family about various ceremonial specifics. A few last preparations were expedited. It was going to be a magnificent event. Filled with excitement, Ayaka thought of nothing else. With the help of Missa Nightingale, she chose a beautiful kimono sent by tailors all the way from the Land of Lilies.

            It was during these days, the slowest, most peaceful of the summer, when a dry wind began to blow, making the trees shudder, and swirling wisps of dust in the streets.

            Ayaka held Harumi's hand as they entered the market; her samurai escort clomped at either side. She was making her way to a stall near the periphery of Oki Market to purchase fruit when she noticed something odd. A group of people conversed in grave manner. Others crowded around to hear. Further on, the undercurrent of fear in people's expressions and their voices became evident.

            "How?" - someone in the crowd said - "Who told you?" - "Never" - spoke another - "I don't believe it." - declared one man - "They'll see what happens. Mark my words."

            With the samurai spears at either side, Ayaka continued towards the fruit stalls, wondering what the commotion was about. There she bumped into Akemi and Tazaki. Both looked like they'd been in a hurry.

            "Didn't you hear?" Akemi's features were tight with angst.

            "About what?" asked Ayaka, looking at them in turn.

            "It grieves me to be the one to inform you, Denka," Tazaki supplied. The young noble wore a pained expression. "I spoke with general Masuro. A bird came in the night, but Eruku's captains did not trust their birds would arrive because of the hawks, so they sent riders. Several of these arrived less than an hour ago. They made such haste one of their horses died, ... but they confirmed the missive."

            Ayaka swallowed. "What did this missive contain?"

            "The Shogun marches on the South," Tazaki said.

            "What?" Ayaka took a step back. "Impossible."

            "Yes, that's right." Akemi shook her head. "It can't be true."

            A hideous anxiety threatened. Early in the morning Ayaka had gone to the Bathhouse Inn and hadn't returned to the palace since. Maybe that's why she didn't know? So it could be true. She closed her eyes and breathed deep.

            "Kagemaru claims Shinrin sent forces across the Silver River and attacked one of his outposts," Tazaki went on, apparently still trying to make sense of things. "I can't be sure it's all true. The outriders brought reports of a vast army mustered in Fumei-noyorou. Three times larger than anyone estimated. A host like nothing ever seen." The young noble looked ill. "I don't know how it's possible."

            Numbness settled over Ayaka. Harumi asked her questions but she couldn't hear. The ground felt like it teetered. Akemi looked about in the way one does when they've misplaced something important and is afraid they would not find it.

            "Kage-maru moves everything towards Shinrin and Eruku," Tazaki continued. "The messengers have come to ask that Shenobi provide emergency aid.”

            Ayaka's blood thickened with dread. What is happening? Maybe Daisuken had been right. The peace was never to last. Had she been naive, again? Perhaps everyone had. Her spirit-vision sensed it then; While they'd grown confident in their strength, a shadow had been stalking, a giant black tiger in the forest, waiting, its burning eyes fixed on the South.

            "There's still time," Tazaki assured with a little swell of confidence. "The Eastern host could take weeks before reaching the borderlands. Shinrin and Eruku are prepared. They will make their stand at the Silver River."

            “What's Shenobi going to do?” Akemi asked to no one in particular, biting her lip.

            “The situation will be worked out.” Ayaka forced a brave demeanor and put a hand on Akemi's shoulder.

            As Ayaka and Harumi left the market, Ayaka handed the bag of fruits to one of her stoic retainers, noticing that her hands were unsteady.

            "Aya-chan, what's the matter?" asked Harumi, looking up with concern. "What does Shogun want? Is he coming here?"

            "No." She felt she was lying to the little girl. Her thoughts were lost in a whirlpool. "There's nothing to worry about, Haru-chan." - I'll never let anything happen to you. I swear it.

            The samurai company followed her back towards the palace without a word. On the way the people in the city only spoke of the ill tidings. Harumi was sent back to the inn. Once inside the palace, Ayaka had the news confirmed to her by one of Masuro's commanders. Daisuken was already off meeting with military leaders in the Phoenix Chamber. Unaccompanied, Ayaka ascended to one of the windows in the donjon that overlooked the city northwards. Further above, from one of Kami-no-goza Tower's apertures, carrier pigeons were being released one by one into the blue, sometimes in twos and threes. The birds cooed as they fluttered away. For the next hours more and more were released. Ayaka never imagined the panniers housed so many birds.

            There was no reason to continue deluding herself. With the ninja attack, the Shogun had tried to disrupt alliances while also hoping to bait Shenobi into conflict. Since Shenobi had not responded as foreseen, the Shogun had decided to gamble everything and make his move before the South could grow stronger. He is wary of us too, but are we ready for him?

            Ayaka felt it in her bones. The threat that advanced from the east was a tsunami of destruction. To meet this dark storm, Shenobi was calling upon all of its allies. She watched as the messenger birds rose into the sky and spread out, flying towards all quadrants of the horizon.







 



© 2017 Kuandio


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

341 Views
Added on July 31, 2016
Last Updated on February 28, 2017

Sakura no Yugen - The Princess, the Swordsman, and the Demons of Winter

*

By Kuandio


Author

Kuandio
Kuandio

CA



About
I started drawing comics when I was about four or five (not much better than dinosaur stick figures). Over time I found I couldn’t express enough through just drawing and was always adding more.. more..

Writing
Broken Stars Broken Stars

A Chapter by Kuandio


Poems Poems

A Book by Kuandio