chapter 1

chapter 1

A Chapter by Kuandio

 

 

      With his hands bound behind his back, the guards ushered the tired, beaten prisoner into Fujiyama Castle's main hall. Hewn of cedar, the chamber was spacious and austere. On the back wall however, a giant crimson relief of the Three Headed Sun Dragon spread nigh to the ceiling, fangs and claws lashing fierce. The sight of the Minotara’s god filled the prisoner with a sense a doom.

      A lone daimyo sat upon a cushion on an elevated platform directly below the ominous blood-red depiction. Presently, the man rose. He was tall, middle-aged, with long ink-black hair tied in a topknot. Their leader surely. Before this imposing figure the retainers forced the prisoner to kneel. Although the prisoner’s brow was inclined, he felt General Daihara’s stern gaze on him.

      "So, this is Shinyasu, the prince who fielded armies against the Minotara?" the general's deep voice was edged with mockery. "Younger than I imagined. Not a boy anymore, ... but not long a man." The general paused, gauging the prisoner. "Perhaps I was wrong to expect more after your victory at the Battle of Mizushima, ... and after committing such unforgivable crimes at Haikena's temples. So, do you have anything to say for yourself?"

      Shinyasu gathered his courage, but fear made his voice tenuous, "It is true. I have participated in numerous battles. But I had no hand in the atrocities at Haikena, or anywhere else for that matter. If Heaven could testify on my behalf, you would know I have never slain a man if not in the field, as equals ..."

      "Others claim differently," said Daihara. "Witnesses purport to have seen you at Mount Haikena, marshaling forces and giving orders during the massacre."

      "That was Sugawaru, undoubtedly. My brother and I share such an uncanny resemblance that we are often mistaken." Shinyasu spoke with firm authority, "I can assure you that beyond appearances, I am nothing like him."

      "Very well. Then if you had no part in the bloodshed and burnings, why were you caught fleeing when my riders moved to intercept the Sangenji units?"

      "After my brother set out to Haikena I tried to stop him. I knew what he might be capable of, ... but never did I imagine anything of such enormity ... Sugawaru has always been so hotheaded and stubborn, I could never sway him in anything. That is why I went to Haikena. Alas, I was too late." Shinyasu felt the shame of his family weigh on him. "The crimes he has committed are unspeakable. And though they are not mine, I understand, that perhaps, in some part, I am to blame as well. Maybe if I were more experienced, and acted quicker, I could have reasoned with him ..."

       An uneasy silence clouded the hall. The retainers and the general seemed to notice Shinyasu's regret was no ruse, but a heartfelt avowal.

      "If what you say is true, I can sympathize with your perspective," Daihara conceded. "Regardless, at the same time for all we know, you could be weaving falsehoods to save yourself. In any case, what you claim is no longer of consequence here. It is your word against that of the Minotara people, and their testimony has condemned you."

       Despair threatened to flood Shinyasu. He risked looking up at General Daihara as he answered. "I understand my situation. Therefore, please let me confess, as one samurai to another. I never wanted any part in this conflict between our families. What more, deeds of war have never given me joy. I despise all of it. But because I am Lord Saigyu's son, I was never given a choice. I have been bound always. For good or ill, a prince of the Sangenji must stand by his house to the end. Everything I did was out of duty. The same would have been thrust on me if I were born a member of the Minotara."

      General Daihara rubbed his stubbly goatee. "I must admit; I do not doubt your integrity, nor the fealty which drove you. Alas, it can be said of nigh every man, when it comes to the station in which they were born and the duties inherited, that most do not feel their fate is chosen according to their personal will. But I am no philosopher. Such matters of destiny are best left for the star-seers to ponder." He waved the notions aside. "What inescapable is now your lot, Prince Shinyasu, that the moment you were taken prisoner, all your personal wishes were forfeit. Your fate rests solely with Lord Hojotora ... And ever since his son was slain by your father, above all things, Hojotora has sought vengeance."

      A silence ensued, during which Shinyasu grappled with the magnitude of this unexpected dead end to which he had come. To be lost in another land, captive in an enemy castle, surrounded by those who would kill him. The weight of it all stacked oppressively. He could not remain here. There must be some means of escape? Some possibility he had failed yet to decipher? If he remained much longer, these very walls would asphyxiate him.

      Perhaps sensing the matters on which he brooded, the general spoke, “There is but one door that might lead to your freedom. If your brother were to surrender, bringing all Sangenji forces to heel before the Minotara, and forfeiting your family’s sovereignty throughout the peninsula. My lord will accept nothing short of a total end to the rebellion. Elsewise, your fate is sealed.”

      A terrible darkness started to eclipse Shinyasu. It was as he had feared. Before meeting Daihara, he had maintained the hope he might merely be held hostage. How naive. Under such demands, even if the Minotara attempted to use him as a bartering chip, it could not succeed. His brother Suguwaru would never surrender. Likewise, the final determination of Lord Hojotora's decision was conveyed in this general's unwavering demeanor, ... and even more alarmingly, in the underlying pity.

      Eyes downcast, Shinyasu submitted, "I understand the Minotara hate me for my heritage. Countless have already perished in this senseless war. Is there no other way than revenge? Must I die?" He struggled against the urge to beg. "I ask you, General Daihara, to reach out to Hojotora on my behalf, so he might consider my request to become a monk, or go into exile on one of the Nameless Isles, anywhere, even to banish me across the ocean to the Other Realms, if need be."

      After brief reflection, Daihara sighed, and answered somewhat reluctantly, "As of this moment Lord Hojotora issued a single order, which we received hours before your arrival. I regret to inform you, Prince Shinyasu, but all such requests have been hitherto denied. Our lord has decreed that in ten days you are to be executed in the Sumire Fields, by the banks of the Megawa River."

      His faith plummeting into an abyss, Shinyasu bowed his head. It required massive effort to speak without faltering. "Could I at the least ask Lord Hojotora, …to allow me … to take my own life? Is it necessary I be executed like some criminal? As a samurai, I implore you ... Let me commit seppuku. Let me die with honor."

      Daihara considered the possibility a while, then nodded. "Whether by your hand, or that of a Minotara samurai, your fate is certain. Therefore, I see no reason not to submit your petition."

      "Thank you, Daihara-sama," said Shinyasu, touching his brow to the floormat, while steeling himself against the tears welling in his eyes.

      "I am impressed with your intention to face the end unflinchingly," observed the general. "Indeed, it is the way of the warrior. In this regard, I have no doubt you will bring honor to your name."

      Shinyasu had to almost grit his teeth to keep composure. "We must be willing to accept what we cannot change. Thus is the world. Though I cannot understand what has led me to this end, I shall do my best to meet it squarely." He gave a steep bow.

      "I am glad we had this opportunity to speak, Prince Shinyasu. “Of course, it is rather unfortunate it must be under such circumstances. However, there is naught we can do but fulfill our duties. After all, a war is being fought, not just for control of the South, but the entirety of Isodoro. The empire will never be the same.”

      “I did not wish for it, but it is the fate of our times,” said Shinyasu. “I shall accept it is as my karma.”

      Daihara lingered in silence a spell, as if seeing a memory from long ago, taken by a wisp of nostalgia. Then he remembered himself and returned a slight bow. "Forgive me, but now I must take my leave." The general rose and strode from the hall. Before departing, he addressed two of the retainers, "Take the prince to the chambers in the castle donjon. Make certain the team of guards are posted at the door day and night. If the prisoner has any other requests, relay them to me."

 


      That night Shinyasu did not think he would possibly be able to sleep. The last days had been taxing though, and before he knew it he sunk into a deep slumber, howbeit one haunted by strange dreams, searching the past with despair, while praying for the future. Rest was short-lived, for in the blind dark of night Shinyasu awoke, gasping, terrified, and disoriented to find himself in the large empty chamber within which he had been imprisoned.

      "I am going to die," he uttered feebly to himself.

      His breathing accelerated and he sat up brusquely. He wanted to scream. Mouth wide, trembling, he stared into the dark. No. Dear Lord Kyuseishu, Shining One, do not forsake me, I beg you …

      A horrific sorrow churned within him, and he began to weep uncontrollably ...










© 2020 Kuandio


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

81 Views
Added on August 15, 2019
Last Updated on October 28, 2020


Author

Kuandio
Kuandio

CA



About
I started drawing comics when I was about four or five (not much better than dinosaur stick figures). Over time I found I couldn’t express enough through just drawing and was always adding more.. more..

Writing
Broken Stars Broken Stars

A Chapter by Kuandio


Poems Poems

A Book by Kuandio