chapter 4

chapter 4

A Chapter by Kuandio

          Cloud archipelagos drifted across the unfathomable blue. Through the fluctuating sky a dove flew, sunlight bright on its wings. By and by it glided, returning to the world. It fluttered as it alighted on the windowsill of a lofty tower.

          Old and tired, the aviary master mounted the stairs. On the uppermost landing, he noticed the dove in the windowsill.

"Well now, well now, how long have you been waiting there?" His spoke like an old friend. Upon his approach, the bird perched on his hand and cooed.  

“Let’s see what you have brought this time.” The aviary master unclasped the small metal cylinder from the dove’s leg. Carefully opening it, he drew the folded message. In a quick glance over the diminutive writ, the insignia of the Three-headed Sun Dragon stamped in red ink stood out viciously. He tucked the message into a fold of his robe, then set the dove within a large room of aviary panels where several dozen such carrier birds perched, roosted, pecked seed, drank, and flapped about. Forthwith the aviary master descended the stairs to find his superiors.

 

*          *          *

 

          Across the graveled training ground, sets of samurai drilled with bokken swords and long-spears. The sun beat down as their gruff voices and the crack of wooden weapons savaged the afternoon stillness. Despite training for hours, their disciplined balance of ferocity and precision remained undiminished. Accompanied by two retainers, General Daihara surveyed the troops while striding a veranda overlooking the practice yard. 

          Daihara’s attention was diverted when an elderly, disheveled man in patched robes, hurriedly made his way down the veranda. The old man knelt before the samurai retinue.

         "General Daihara. This just arrived." Raising his hands he presented a folded note.

         Seeing it bore Lord Hojotora's stamp, Daihara called for one of his retainers to bring him his foldout stool. Together they sat in the shade of the gabled roof. He unfolded the parchment; the two retainers knelt at either side.

         With certain caution and gravity, he read the missive:

    

          "War report to be heralded to General Daihara, all Fujuyama daimyo, their vassals, and subsequently to the general populace. The Minotara armies led by Lord Hojotora have met the Sangenji rebels at Ujigahara River. In costly battle the Crimson Bridge was won from the Sangenji. Remaining rebel forces are routed and fleeing through the Koya Forests. The Minotara have effectively reclaimed the Southern Kingdoms. Counted are three thousand Minotara dead. Among the fallen is Prince Hyuga. Counted are over nine thousand Sangenji slain. Among them are Sasaki Tajikara, Rokuda Tajikara, and Kumado Sabura. The surviving Sangenji are scattered and being hunted into the Ushina wilderness and towards the Far South. For the time being, Fujiyama's forces are to remain stationed in their province. Notwithstanding, be prepared to move into action at any moment.


         By Heaven's mandate, the Minotara shall soon claim total victory and uncontested rule of Isodoro and all the isles of a thousand gods!

 

         Daihara lowered the message. Basking in what they had learned, he and the two retainers kept silent a few breaths. In the yard, the clashing of the practicing warriors’ weapons, and their shouts, sounded faraway.

         "By the Shining One, these are glorious tidings," said one retainer, nigh in disbelief.

          "The enemy is being crushed," added the other. "And that cursed Kumado dead at last! Too long he was a thorn in our side, but no more!"

         "Praise be to the Sun Dragon! Soon the entire peninsula shall be ours."

         "Yes," Daihara concurred. "It will all be over soon. Before autumn. Only, it is regretful Prince Hyuga fell, and so close to the end. He was a fearless rider and proved himself a brilliant commander." 

         "He will be avenged tenfold!" blazoned the first retainer.

          This lit a fire in the other. "We must stamp out the Sangenji entirely! Leave not so much as a remnant of their legacy."

          "Verily." The fire crept into his companion too. "Starting with that prince. The day cannot come soon enough when I will see Shinyasu slaughtered."

          Daihara managed a slight nod. He grappled for words, but an oppressive emotion smothered them before they could arise. To mask his confusion he remained taciturn, shifting his gaze afar as he strove to center himself.  

          When he felt the iron back in him he spoke, "Let us not yet sing victory before the war is completely over. That means we continue training the samurai and ashigaru. Fujiyama's strength could be called upon at any moment."

          With that Daihara sent his retainers to see to other tasks. He continued sitting there, howbeit, steeped in gray pondering. What might this turn of events signify for Prince Shinyasu? Can Lord Hojotora perhaps liberate him from his death sentence? Why am I even thinking about Shinyasu’s fate!? Although he sought to hurl aside thoughts of the Sangengi prince, he could not. Avoiding the punishment is doubtful at best. Hojotora was not a man who changed his course of action once his intentions were declared. Added to the hunger of avenging his son, the lord of the Minotara would duly seek to pay the Sangenji back for the loss of his nephew, the young prince Hyuga, at the recent battle. And above anything else, perhaps higher than hopes for rebirth in Paradise, Hojotora wanted to end the Sangenji line. Thus he could at least have the peace of leaving this world knowing his enemies had been utterly annihilated.

No. Daihara saw no way out for Shinyasu.

Regretful indeed, … the prince would soon learn of the downfall of his house and family, and then be forced to drag that massive grief with him into his day of execution.

But, such news concerning the war was enormous! Why am I not rejoicing? I am Minotara! One person’s misfortune should make no difference to me! What in damned Jigoku is wrong with me? 

Uncertain, Daihara stayed where he was, staring absently across the practice yard, to the ominous void of the horizon.

 


 



© 2020 Kuandio


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

22 Views
Added on March 14, 2020
Last Updated on March 14, 2020


Author

Kuandio
Kuandio

CA



About
I started drawing comics when I was about four or five (not much better than dinosaur stick figures). Over time I found I couldn’t express enough through just drawing and was always adding more.. more..

Writing
Broken Stars Broken Stars

A Chapter by Kuandio


Poems Poems

A Book by Kuandio