chapter 5

chapter 5

A Chapter by Kuandio

 



The leaves billowed in the sunny afternoon breeze. A covered carriage transported the three young women past columns of rich green poplar and katsura. Isae descried tiled roofs and gaps of sky between the tall trees guarding the thoroughfare’s flanks. Dressed in luxurious kimonos, she and two maikos were en route to the Hydrangea Festival’s main ceremony. This was to be held at Fujiyama's Central Sun Shrine, concurrently honoring Ryujin Taiyo, the Three-headed Dragon God of the Minotara. It was one of the grandest events of the year, but if it had been up to Isae, she would not be attending this time. Invitations from high ranking prefectural dignitaries had been accepted prior though, and thus her attendance now obligatory.

          Absently, she viewed the town scroll past. Due to the occasion, more people than usual navigated the streets, including groups of daimyo with their retainers, and opulently arrayed women with servants in tow. As Isae's carriage trundled past, many nomin passerby paused to bow. Everything felt faraway to her.

           The maikos beside Isae chatted about this and that, mentioning the war at one point, how the Sangenji were on the retreat. Aside from this, theirs was mostly small talk and laughter. Isae could not share in their carefree mood. Indeed, she hardly spoke; a heaviness had settled in her heart, causing her to feel increasingly uneasy. Every time she remembered what was unfolding in the war and the worsening fortune of the Sangenji, the heaviness grew.

           Three days had passed since she saw Prince Shinyasu. During those three days, Isae had thought about him, and worried. Tidings of the conflict deepened this worry to the point she could scarcely think of anything except the Sangenji and Shinyasu's situation.

          The maikos laughed at a frivolous jest. Isae tried to at least smile, but failed. Last night - only because she agreed to it weeks prior - she had to perform at the Willow Tavern. Judging by the praise she received, it seemed she gave a good showing. Yet the entire evening she never felt truly present. What is happening with me? This could not continue; she needed to resolve her confusion as soon as possible. Scores of daimyo would be in attendance at the Sun Shrine. And the way it was shaping up, this year's Hydrangea Festival had the spirit of a victory celebration. Especially after the battle of Ujigahara River, and the death of Kumado Sabura, masses of Minotara gloated in triumph over the Sangenji. Isae suddenly hated all of it. 

If only I could be a thousand miles away … Somewhere I know no one …

           The carriage entered a garden-park adjacent to Fujiyama's main river. Beyond the river they could see the Central Shrine jutting above surrounding structures. Golden statues of dragons and splendorous reliefs gleamed on the borders and apex of its massive, slanted gable roof. From somewhere there, the solemn echo of a giant bell resounded, calling the adherents and festival-goers thither.

          "Why don't we walk from here?" Isae proposed.

          "But we're almost there, Isae-chan," answered one of the maikos.

          "I'm going to get out." Isae then ordered the driver come to a halt. She descended. "I'm sorry. I can't be confined in there any longer."

          Outside she breathed easier. Here the lanes were bordered by grassplots, flowers, shrubs, and sculpted trees. People strolled, and crowds gathered where artisans sold crafts, vendors food, and a number of virtuosos performed. Despite the abundance of distractions, an emptiness gripped Isae.

          The two maikos followed suite and got off the carriage. With Isae they proceeded toward an arched bridge. On the other side, not far, was the shrine where the festival converged. Isae told them to go on ahead without her.

"Don't worry. I'll catch up in a few minutes."

           The two companions regarded her, plainly aware she was acting strange. They nodded, and continued on. Alone, Isae walked slower. From trees and and along the eaves of roofs, colorful fish streamers swam gently in the air. When the bell resounded again, closer now, she could barely hear it.

Why did I say I would return to see him?

Upon reaching the bridge's meridian she paused. From its faraway source in the Yoshino Mountains, the cold river below flowed, passing clouds reflected in its swishing surface. Although a long ways from the city, she could see the Yoshino peaks clearly, like some unattainable vision of Heaven.

           Isae looked into the rush of shining waters below.

           There was a sorrow, and an enigma in his eyes, beckoning to her like a distant echo that would not fade …

For this and reasons she could not yet understand, Isae knew she needed to see him again.

 

 

 





 

 



© 2020 Kuandio


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

23 Views
Added on May 5, 2020
Last Updated on May 5, 2020


Author

Kuandio
Kuandio

CA



About
I started drawing comics when I was about four or five (not much better than dinosaur stick figures). Over time I found I couldn’t express enough through just drawing and was always adding more.. more..

Writing
Broken Stars Broken Stars

A Chapter by Kuandio


Poems Poems

A Book by Kuandio