Tropic of cancer

Tropic of cancer

A Poem by poddar kushal

 

Tropic of cancer
(To John Beck who could have written this better)
The burning carbuncles cruelly smiles.
They have the faces of assassins, broad, witty,
sharp, projected and barren. Ashen is he.
The bed is growing large and large and blue with
 
the venom it sees. It is burning inside
and I can not touch the eclipse of flesh and
erosion of soul, still I share the burn.
It is a sore that drives into him who beholds.  
 
Whisper of his voice echoes in the wide
white washed hall. I pray and when prayers turn
into birds to fly heaven with messages
fastened to their legs I grasp to breathe more.
 
For the time is not there any longer.  
An autumn is blending into cold winter.
© 2008 - All Rights Reserved Kushal Poddar

© 2008 poddar kushal


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Sorry it took me so long to review this. I actually enjoyed this piece. Great write!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Tropic of cancer makes me think of Henry Miller's book and its counterpart Tropic of Capricorn. Reading your poem over and over again, you thickled my brain wondering what geography and decay could possibly have in common, which lead to the association with the universally dreaded disease, which no one seems to be able to escape.
This gloomy poem is (to me) one of your better works. Never have I seen decay captured into excellence and beauty, melancholy, loss, the pain of letting go and saying good bye to our dear ones.

'For the time is not there any longer. An autumn is blending into cold winter.'
I wish for you to have a lot of time my friend, so you can keep on writing!

Posted 15 Years Ago


I get the feeling, but honestly, not the story. I have my theories, but eh...I'm more about the wording here. I like it. I think it should be set to music.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

352 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 11, 2008

Author

poddar kushal
poddar kushal

kolkata, India, India



About
life and trying to earn bread made me an advocate. mad at my own stressful self, turned to writing. poems mainly. but, there are several short stories published in my mother toungue 'bengali'.i live i.. more..

Writing