A Hint of Motivation

A Hint of Motivation

A Story by Kadaroli
"

A look into a not so far away future. (This was a creative writing assignment where I was tasked with writing where I saw myself in the future.)

"
The alarm sets off, the hellish jingle ringing through the small bedroom for the millionth time. My already forgotten dream comes to a screeching halt, leaving me only with the feeling of adventure and excitement that filled me while sleeping. A groan escapes my throat as I roll over onto my back, my blanket sliding off of me awkwardly. I reach underneath my pillow grabbing the source of the noise, pulling out my phone to turn off my alarm as I reach up with my other hand to wipe my eyes. I squint at the bright screen, my finger sliding across, muting the alarm. 8:03. With the noise vanquished, I sit up, stretching my arms out as far as they can reach before letting them fall lazily back to my sides. My first yawn of the day achieved.
Before I know it, my morning routine is already over. Bagel eaten, teeth brushed, hair somewhat brushed, and a final pat for my cat before throwing my laptop into my bag. I ready to shield my eyes and open my apartment door, my prediction being correct. A barrage of light slams into my face as I throw the door open, my hand not enough to stop the attack. After a few seconds my eyes adjust. I look out towards the city, the view now dull and tasteless. Rochester, New York. Seven years after university and I’m still here. I let out a sigh before departing for work. 
The streets are bustling, a sight once forgotten by the world until everyone had been fully vaccinated. Taking the bus costs too much, a bike sounds like too much effort, and dealing with traffic has always seemed like a drag. For those reasons, I rely on my two feet, giving me about an hour of contemplation time before reaching my destination, with which I have a complicated relationship. I pass the many apartment complexes, the countless restaurants, building after building. Now, should I use Python or C#? I spend my walk contemplating this decision, which would affect me and my colleagues for the next year or two. Before I come to a conclusion, I reach my second home, a place I may have spent an equal amount of hours in as my own home, a rented out office building.
I open the double doors quickly, and step into the spacious building, shooting straight for the elevator. I step in and press for the third floor, before resting my bag next to my feet. I check my watch, 10:22. Eight minutes early. I lean against the back and begin thumping my right foot right as the ding of the elevator rings out, and the door slowly slides open. I pick up my bag and exit the small space, turning left. I reach the door, 11B. I try the knob; it opens without any issue. As always.
I push the door open, forgetting once again how easily the door opens, as it swings hard and slams into the wall. I wince and shrink a small bit, cursing myself. I open my eyes and am immediately hit by the all-too-familiar scent of coffee and Axe body spray. The room is medium-sized, about 450 square feet, now filled with six desks, desktop computers filling a portion of each. A door to my right, which led to the small recording room, sat slightly open, a crack visible as clear as day. I silently make my way over to the door, pressing my ear against the white painted wood. 
“Do not count me out yet! I shall spend every drop of blood in my body before I yield to the likes of you!”
The familiar voice of my team’s lead voice actor, Alexander, booms from the room. A mix of desperation, hope, and anger carrying each of his words. I look at my watch. 10:28. He had most likely been here for hours, maybe even since the night before. I smile, a surge of motivation flooding my body. I quietly shut the door, turn, and get to work. 

© 2021 Kadaroli


Author's Note

Kadaroli
Any and all criticism is greatly desired.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

48 Views
Added on May 24, 2021
Last Updated on May 24, 2021

Author

Kadaroli
Kadaroli

NH



Writing
The Saviors The Saviors

A Story by Kadaroli