Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by L3C

The sun is high in the sky, signaling the time to be around two in the afternoon. Puffy, white clouds bunch together and move in the direction of the wind, ahead, as if leading the way. The cool airstream rolls down the mountain side and tips the grass in waves of green shades. The heavy heads of the full flowers bow and dance as the leaves sing a tune to the rythym of the wind.  Birds create melodies in the branches of the trees, crickets make harmony, and the frogs sound the bass. The entire woods are filled with colors of greens, yellows, reds, and more. The sound of a faroff stream echos through the dense thickets of the forest, reverberating off the tall trunks of the trees. The air feels fresh and open, almost crisp, as if it gives life to everything else. The heat of the sun warms the floor of the forest and casts different shades of green from the luminous leaves above. The sweet smell of fruits and flowers travels in the breeze, along with the coolness it seems to bring down from the mountains and streams behind. 

Yeon Hee moves along at a steady pace through the woods, her toes tangling in the blades of grass with each step. She looks down to her feet as she goes along, enjoying the different colors of the things that pass by. Red ladybug, dark green leaf, gray stones, a brown twig. 
She smiles to herself as she hoists her backpack farther onto her back. The bag makes a swoosh that is soon drowned out behind the other sounds of the forest. Her light footsteps quietly pad along in confidence of knowing that she has no idea where she is going; and it doesnt matter. 
"Ah, it's so nice," Yeon Hee sighs to herself as she looks up at the sun coming through the trees. 
She shields her eyes for a moment before a fluffy cloud moves in front of the sun, casting a cool, gray shadow along the forest floor. 
"It's better down here, isn't it, BoHo?" she asks with a knowing smirk as she glances to the dog on her left. 
Dog would be an understatement. BoHo was a wolf, a giant bear of a wolf. He has a lean body due to the lack of food that they had recently encountered, but he still has a firm shape and build. His fluffy brown fur sways with each lumbering step by her side. He stares ahead intently, tongue out and flopping at the side of his mouth. He seems to be concentrating on the scene before him; almost aprehensive about something in the near distance. 
"BoHoJa." YeonHee uses his full name again in order to gain his attention.
With the sound of YeonHee's voice, BoHo lifts his head higher and shuts his mouth, careful to observe anything. When he soon notices that everything is safe and secure, his eyes shift up to meet YeonHee's, and then he resumes his panting. 
YeonHee shakes her head and laughs as she looks on ahead. 

She hums a tune to herself as she looks about the forest some more, enjoying the peace and serenity that the place seems to thrive off of. But with one look, this feeling of security fades away and YeonHee stops as she sees a clearing ahead. BoHo stops at her side, eyes and ears attentive on the opening in front of them. YeonHee's smile fades into a straight line as she stares ahead. She takes a moment and then blinks, followed by placing a hesitant step forward. BoHo remains still, frozen in a defensive form. 
"Let's go," YeonHee says without emotion as she moves forward, "We were bound to reach one eventually."
With YeonHee's assurance, BoHo moves forward and quickly takes his place at her side again. Together they break out of the woods and into the open clearing. They stand on the edge of the forest and look down at the green valley below them. The fresh green color dies out as it reaches further down the bank, and then turns to a dull brown as it leads into the outskirts of a town. Buildings can be seen in the distance, as the faint sounds of people and machines call out. YeonHee kneels down and closes her eyes as she listens. The sound of childrens' laughter, the engine of a car, the low rumble of the voice of a man.
BoHo whines at her side, and she opens her eyes and places a hand on top of his warm, soft head. She stares at the town below for a moment longer before turning her attention to the dog. He looks into her eyes with a sad expression, and she forces a reassuring smile. 
"It's alright," she says as she rubs the top of his head, "It's a small town. We won't have to be here long."
The dog whines again, not seeming to feel any comfort with her words. 
YeonHee looks back to the civilization and then stands with a sigh. She faces it for a while and then looks behind her at the Myeongseong Mountain. From here, it looks so big and deserted. Part of her longs to return to the isolation of the wilderness, but another part of her knows that it's time to go back into town. 
"We need more supplies anyways," YeonHee says, almost in order to convince herself. 
BoHo looks from YeonHee to the town and takes a step forward to put himself between her and the people below. He stares down with her at the small society planted before them and growls. 

YeonHee's lips part into a slight smile at the reaction of her companion. He doesn't like the idea of society or civilization any more than she does. She blinks and sighs as she pulls her bag off and dumps out the contents along the forest line. A pot, a map, a canteen for water, a used up bar of soap, a lighter, wrappers, and a little bit of money. Counting the tshirt and shorts that she had chosen to wear for the trip, she counts a total of three t-shirts, a hoodie, a pair of sweatpants, and two shorts, along with a pair of socks and tennis shoes. All of it smells terrible and looks warn out as the dull colors seem to fade each day. She purses her lips as she grabs the remaining money just as her stomach lets out a low rumble. Her eyes widen as her hand moves to calm her stomach. She looks to BoHo, who stares at her blankly.
"I'll get some more food for the trip," YeonHee mumbles as she rumages through the bag, "We don't really have much left. I'll get some meats and rice...that should last us a little bit. If we really need more...i can go back tonight."
BoHoJa lets out a low rumble, clearly disagreeing with that option.
"We have no choice," YeonHee shrugs, "I'll look around town to see what's available and then head back in tonight."
YeonHee looks up to meet the dog's worried eyes. The sounds of the forest call out to them, inviting them back into the safe shelter that they offer. Just then, a loud car horn echos out from the town and brings both YeonHee and BoHoJa's heads back around towards the city below. They stare down with aprehension, both lost in thought about what may await them among the civilization.

YeonHee easily runs down the side of the embankment towards the town, skipping along the treeline of the forest and the open grasslands before the town. BoHo leasurely follows at her side, tongue hanging in the open air. Both of their hearts pound inside, supplying their muscles with extra energy and adrenaline.
YeonHee skirts to a stop at the last edge of the forest, leaving about a half of a mile left of nothing but open grassland until she reaches the first buildings of the town. Now the sounds of life within the society can be heard clearly: cars passing eachother, children playing, women walking in high heels, men cheering over a sports game.
She pants as she crouches behind some bushes and watches the activity of the small town placed between the mountain ranges and forests of South Korea. 
"I wonder where we are," YeonHee breathes as she pulls her backpack off and searches through her few belongings for the map she'd picked up months ago on the other side of Korea. She unfolds the crinkly paper and spreads it out before her, the edges curling in again. BoHo steps forward and sets his paw down on the end, keeping the map from folding back up. 
"Oh, thanks," YeonHee mumbles as she observes the map. "Let's see here," she traces her finger along their route, "We came from across YeonCheonGun and over the MyeongSeong Mountains which places us around...here somewhere." she jabs the map at a rough location. "Maybe this is the beginning of... Pocheon City, what do you think?" She looks up to BoHo who had been watching her finger move along the map. He glances up and meets her eyes. She shrugs, "Sounds okay, right?" BoHo blinks. YeonHee sighs and refolds the map, placing it back into her bag. "Like i said, this wont require too long of a stay. Luckily the forests are all around the city so you can stay hidden. Me, on the other hand..." she stares off into the distance as she thinks about what lies before her. 
BoHo watches her intently. He moves forward and sits in front of her but she doesn't move. He lets out a low whine and scoots closer, but still she stares out towards the grasslands with a glazed over look in her eyes. BoHo places his paw in her lap and whines again, bringing YeonHee to blink and then shake her head as she looks to him. 
"Like i said, quick in and out." she fumbles over her words as she fishes through her backpack. "We could use some more water and snacks just in case." she runs a hand through her hair and winces, "I could grab a bottle of soap too, i think it's been awhile since either of us have bathed. Hmm...first aid equippment so we dont have another dilemma like we did in the mountains," she shakes her head at the memory, "i dont really know what else but i'll look when i get there." 

BoHo watches her with worried eyes as she pulls out the black sneakers she had been carrying in her bag and slips them on her feet. She pulls on a black t shirt with a hood to match her black shorts and then adds a pair of sunglasses. "Subtle, right?" she asks as she stands back for BoHo to see. The dog c***s his head to the side. YeonHee shrugs and then searches through the bag for anything else she may need. "Shoot," she exhales as she sits back into the grass, "We're low on cash." she counts out the few bills that she has left. She sighs and looks around before meeting BoHo's waiting stare again. "I'll figure it out when i'm in town."
She stands and turns to the city. BoHo quickly gets up and joins her side. He looks up to her and she speaks to him without looking. "No, you can't come. I have my whistle, so stick around," she mumbles as her hand instinctively reaches to the long necklace of a feather that hangs around her neck, concealing a wood carving of a bird whistle. "Quick in and out." she says again to herself. 
She takes a breath and then heads for the town with nothing but her money and what she has on, leaving BoHo and her bag behind. 


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 



© 2013 L3C


Author's Note

L3C
(this is a fanfiction that i'm working on. also on my blog and the AsianFanfictions site)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

123 Views
Added on May 26, 2013
Last Updated on May 27, 2013


Author

L3C
L3C

About
Looking for feedback on my writing ^__^ more..

Writing
Foreword Foreword

A Chapter by L3C


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by L3C


Afterglow Afterglow

A Book by L3C