Meet the Star behind the Viral HSBC advert: British Actress Scherrikar Bell

Meet the Star behind the Viral HSBC advert: British Actress Scherrikar Bell

A Story by LA Movies
"

It is not everyday a campaign goes viral, we interview the actress behind it

"


We are all familiar with the hilarious commercial made for HSBC Banking. A young woman, played by Scherrikar Bell, appears in the cafe in a complete clutter as she humorously juggles holding on to her gym gear, bag, umbrella and water bottle whilst reaching the bottom of her bag in search for money to pay for a drink. However her hands are so full  with clutter that she painstakingly holds up customers in the line before she finally finds her cash. Scherrikar has made us all chuckle as we see our selves in this exact situation from time to time. We interviewed Scherrikar about her rising fame and how it all began. 

What was the audition process like for the HSBC commercial?
It was pretty laid back! It was the first time I was up for a role that was open to any gender and any ethnicity, so when I got the call that I had booked it, it felt like a real achievement. The actual audition was pretty quick, I was in the room with the director and casting director and literally re enacted everything you see me do in the advert. I had to have numerous random items in my arms whilst trying to search my loose change in one of the bags, in a funny manner. I just remember giving funny awkward looks every now and again and hearing the director chuckling to himself. 

Please introduce to the readers what influenced you to get into this field of work:
From a young age I always enjoyed watching movies I just didn't realise it was possible for someone of my background to be in one. I always assumed you had to have  industry contacts or at least have been training in the arts from a child. Both of which I did not. Luckily in 2011 I was persuaded to attend an open audition for Off west End play 'Oh what a lovely war!' And I was cast as one of the comical principals. From there on I started my career as an actress and grew my credits and skills year by year.

Who or what were some of your influences growing up?
My parents gave me the work ethic I have today, they had me at a young age and had 3 jobs between them at some points in my childhood. And so I guess the way I work now reflects that. I see a project I am interested in and I will go for it and do all the necessary ground work to produce the best results. On the TV I grew up watching Will Smith a lot,he was a great influence for me because it was great seeing a successful black artist star in so many blockbusters, his persona was so child friendly yet still cool and hip.

What kind of training have you had, if any?
I studied English Literature and Drama performance studies for 3 years at Roehampton University and then I joined several part time drama schools. This was to save money and because I felt that I was already in the field, and really did not like the idea of taking out more years to study full time, when I could study part time and still be cast in acting projects.

What has been your most memorable project to work on so far?
I would say working on the independent film These are our Friends was the most important. I got one of the biggest responses from audience members who related to my character Amina. The film is about Amina a young woman who was subjected to the horrific practise of genital mutilation. The subject matter was very deep and important and needed to be told and I literally feel so honoured to have been cast in such a story. I was invited as a guest speaker to an FGM Charity event in London and was amongst the brave survivors, getting their approval of how well I played Amina was a special moment for me.

What has been one of the biggest highlights/achievements of your career?
An achievement in my career was being cast as Tess in comedy series Todd Margaret. It was an awesome feeling to be filming for an American series to be seen by a wider audience. Also my scenes were nearly always with Jack McBrayer (Wreck it Ralph) and David Cross (Arrested Development) who are like comedy geniuses to me, I grew up watching them both on my TV and now I am on set acting with them. That felt good. And of course the biggest highlight was my HSBC commercial because it went viral and got just under 3 MM views online. It was great because it was accessible to all  my friends and family and their friends and family which was fun! 

If you had a chance to work alongside anybody who would that be?
Definitely Leonardo Di Caprio for his sheer brilliant, intense, way he portrays his characters and I am really enjoying Michael Shannon's performances too. When in comes to directors I would have to say Martin Scorsese, Christopher Nolan and Quentin Tarantino.

What have you learned most about this business?
That it is not as glamorous as it looks. To be successful it takes more than luck, more than looks, more than talent, I find it to be a mixture of all three. However, you have to be actively doing something in the field to receive greatness or accomplishment. You can never just sit and wait for the phone to ring. 

What projects do you have coming up?
I just wrapped not to long ago on comedy film Still Standing directed by Laura McMahon. That film should be available by the end of this year. I play a wheelchair bound erratic woman which makes a change from my usual bubbly roles.  And then there is a new TV show called Behind the Scenes Before the Scenes that I will be filming in Los Angeles which is pretty cool! This show follows the lives of people who work in an LA based management office, which is full of dramas as you can imagine.

What is your best piece of advice for aspiring artists?
Get some form of training and also try to get as much experience in the filed too. Do not expect results to appear over night, you need to be very active so get networking!

© 2018 LA Movies


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

196 Views
Added on April 22, 2018
Last Updated on April 22, 2018
Tags: actress, viral, commerical, film, hollywood, tv, interview