We Stay-at-Home, Yet Also...

We Stay-at-Home, Yet Also...

A Story by LJ
"

A very short true story, present time.

"
  What carries sound? Yeah, 'waves' and maybe more, but you see, I don't really know. You know, and I like that. I like a lot about you. Yet I only know your sound - your voice, your breathing, your diction, your nearly silent laugh, your words. And photos. You sent me a few photos. The cheekiest one still makes me smile. They all do. But it's your voice I know best. It's a grand voice. More than grand. Yours.
------
     Now we plan a "devmeet." That's what I call it, sometimes. I'm gonna fly out to your city and stay near your house. You're gonna meet me at the airport. Will you carry a sign? Will you leave a message so a loudspeaker says, "LJ, to the white courtesy telephone, please," or do they even do that anymore? Of course not. If you use a phone, it would be a text first, then maybe a call on our own phones. But I think I'll see you there, somewhere, by an airport gate or by the luggage carousels, and I'll near faint. Not really my body - just my heart, at least a bit. It may do double-time for a bit. My eyes will see stars. Yeah, that lousy "stardust" I've complained about. Hah.
-------
     And also now the plan is for you to come here, for us to fill space with our "us" when you get off the train. I'll meet you there, I'll know you immediately, and you'll know me, and then there's gonna be "we" for a while. I think of every aspect - the serious business of taking a train across the country, the bus, the strength it calls for and the point when time stops for a moment. In that moment, we stand like children, all eyes and feelings. Then I help you the rest of the way, and my front room will take us in and then we can begin again. In person.
-------
     Someday.

© 2020 LJ


Author's Note

LJ
Tell me if you find errors, please.
Let me know what you think. Thank you.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Again... I see a greater narrative here. A collection. A story told in fragments like notes in a journal or a memoir. Also- the lack of any perceived gender is fascinating- on the one hand it limits the readers ability to empathize- on the other it lends the freedom to insert oneself into the proverbial shoes of the speaker. Quite the gem.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LJ

3 Years Ago

Thanks so much. Yes, this is definitely part of 'larger narrative' and told as if the reader already.. read more



Reviews

I assumed you were addressing a man, and then it was pretty much confirmed when you said, "begin again." In my view, it's slightly hopeful, but mostly sad. Sighhhhh. Do we all do this? I do. I make plans that are easily thought about but hard to make happen.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LJ

3 Years Ago

Thank you. I wonder if I should make gender more obvious, but then again, maybe not. I can't decide .. read more
Again... I see a greater narrative here. A collection. A story told in fragments like notes in a journal or a memoir. Also- the lack of any perceived gender is fascinating- on the one hand it limits the readers ability to empathize- on the other it lends the freedom to insert oneself into the proverbial shoes of the speaker. Quite the gem.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LJ

3 Years Ago

Thanks so much. Yes, this is definitely part of 'larger narrative' and told as if the reader already.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

33 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 15, 2020
Last Updated on May 23, 2020

Author

LJ
LJ

CA



About
i am testing this to see what it's all about now. i used to write here years ago, and enjoyed it very much. i wrote fiction mostly, and many reviews for other writers. i made friends, and hope to agai.. more..

Writing
we kept on truckin we kept on truckin

A Story by LJ


forgot title forgot title

A Story by LJ



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


andclarkdimond andclarkdimond

A Poem by LJ


The Black Bag The Black Bag

A Story by LJ