Barber Road

Barber Road

A Poem by LJW

The sidewalk's like Winter, a not yet Winter. Most of the leaves are still on the trees and frost grows in the cracks. The city doesn't make sense when it's this cold. Not really a city but a big town corrupted by commerce and blacktop and tires that cost more than the cars that take them from home to work then back again. This road's dark at 4 p.m. and I shiver.

I'm awaiting a warming and a sleep where I don't shake out the day under street lamps, pretending to be warm by cupping my mug of coffee and a night that would fall softly enough to include the company of a kindred soul, vinyl records, and the sound of an old dog barking nearby.

I know the difference this time. Going back there would be a choice I'd be making but it wouldn't be if I couldn't stop myself. It was a choice I made before but it really wasn't and now it's getting so cold. Cold as a late crop of carrots on an early November morning on Barber Road.

In the meantime I will busy myself with what interests me. What motivates me and what moves me. Here in this moment I know what I had or didn't have. No story I've ever written has ended the way I intended when I first picked up the pen. I wonder if he knows any of this or none of it or all of it. There is stay and there is go but I won't go back unless I'm wanted and I won't stay long anyway.

It's a wonder after all this time thinking about it that I haven't lost my mind or the sheer joy I still feel every time a cardinal appears in the snow.

© 2021 LJW


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Living on the street is harsh and dangerous, specially in the shivering cold... but that's not the answer; I guess it boils down to go back to him or not; you seem to be teetering, and that to me is perfectly normal; But what you have might be enough for now: the ability to think, some freedom, the beautiful cardinal in the snow .... choices are difficult and you will know when you make the right one.
Lovely write, very honest.
Best, Betty

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LJW

2 Years Ago

Thank you Betty...much appreciated.
Betty Hermelee

2 Years Ago

You’re very welcome!



Reviews

Living on the street is harsh and dangerous, specially in the shivering cold... but that's not the answer; I guess it boils down to go back to him or not; you seem to be teetering, and that to me is perfectly normal; But what you have might be enough for now: the ability to think, some freedom, the beautiful cardinal in the snow .... choices are difficult and you will know when you make the right one.
Lovely write, very honest.
Best, Betty

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LJW

2 Years Ago

Thank you Betty...much appreciated.
Betty Hermelee

2 Years Ago

You’re very welcome!
the city can be just so indeed ... i like the feel to this LJ .. it somehow reminds me of "Cannery Row" .. one of my all time favorite books and author ... and the movie wasn't half bad either ;) as I read I have glimpses of a woman, homeless and grasping at dreams wished for and her coffee mug (nice work with that imaging says i!) how many times is there a staying or going and all those choices ... me Da use to say "Son! You can never go back" .. of course at 16 I knew far better than that eh!? a poets heart in a heartless town .. merciless in it's indifference ... at home perhaps a partner who her poetry is lost on .. poignant setting, scene and action .. love the language and "feel" to this ... intriguing ... draws me in .. nice job!
E.

Posted 2 Years Ago


LJW

2 Years Ago

Thank you for reading and your comments.
What a compliment to have my musings considered alon.. read more
I love the thought of a cardinal in the snow. You really paint a picture of a bleak winter in a city.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Like a beautiful DOMESTICATED fairy tale that's relatable to all.

Posted 2 Years Ago


I've never been the best reviewer, but I enjoyed the poem, it was very descriptive in a way that was charming, and sucked in me into your little world. Sounds like a great neighborhood.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Goodness, Lady-Poet🍁

You certainly know how to reach in and warmly touch a bard's country heart … especially, with such imagery as, "I'm awaiting a warming and a sleep where I don't shake out the day under street lamps, pretending to be warm by cupping my mug of coffee."
Such prose poetry is rarely available at the Café.

I enjoyed this excellently rendered piece.
A cozy "welcome home" … it's nice to see ya!⁓ Richard🍃

Posted 2 Years Ago


LJW

2 Years Ago

Thank you, kind sir.
I am truly humbled that the mere recollection of my thoughts put to pape.. read more
Richard🖌

2 Years Ago

Wandering with you through your poetic memory is sheer bliss … a pleasure not soon forgotten.🥀
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Gee
That is a really good piece of writing, really, really good.
Writers block, you smashed that block to bits with this :)))

Posted 2 Years Ago


LJW

2 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Gee.
Glad the levee broke. I got a lot of words spilling out now.
This is some of the best writing that is ever seen here at the cafe. This packs a punch of originality, imagery, & deep haunting mood. For a small sample of your excellence:
"I know the difference this time. Going back there would be a choice I'd be making but it wouldn't be if I couldn't stop myself. It was a choice I made before but it really wasn't and now it's getting so cold."

Happy Thanksgiving & thanks for sharing your art (((HUGS)))

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LJW

2 Years Ago

I'm in tears. Humbled by your words.
After years of writers block I returned here most recent.. read more
barleygirl

2 Years Ago

I'm really glad you're back. You can teach us some of your tricks! *smile*
LJW

2 Years Ago

I always wanted to be a teacher so I could throw the eraser when I got mad and have the whole summer.. read more
I like your story, wonderful imagery. i love cardinal's they are pretty. I see them as a realitive from heaven visiting me.

Posted 2 Years Ago


LJW

2 Years Ago

Thank you Alex.
I see cardinals as a reminder that even in the coldest and bleakest of moment.. read more
these are such intricate, honest, soulful thoughts. very thoreauesque - i love it. seeing a cardinal in the snow would surely make my day and make me feel blessed to be out on that road. the city offers me nothing - can barely breathe here let alone experience nature. great writing that gives me a good start to my day ... :)

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LJW

2 Years Ago

Thank you, Pete.
Yes, the city offers me nothing but a longing for the woods and quiet and bi.. read more
Pete

2 Years Ago

i used to live near concord. have spent many a day at walden ... :)
LJW

2 Years Ago

Alright then. That makes us neighbors.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

128 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 22, 2021
Last Updated on December 19, 2021

Author

LJW
LJW

New England



About
I have been gone for a very long time. Writer's block. It's a thing. Good to be back. ❤ more..

Writing
Sketchbook Sketchbook

A Poem by LJW


The  Unbecoming The Unbecoming

A Poem by LJW


Plant Plant

A Poem by LJW



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..