Life As We Know It

Life As We Know It

A Chapter by Dark and Mysterious

“Dew! Dew Hale!”


I pulled my hood over my head, not wanting to wake up.


“Miss Hale!  This is a classroom not your bedroom.”


Still groggy I lifted my head, slowly opened one eye, saw nothing of interest, closed it again and went back to sleep.


“Dew!” 


The voice was closer now. I disregarded it and slept. Who was disturbing my sleep anyway. Was this a new teacher, not aware of who I was. Why didn’t the jerk leave me alone. I needed my sleep.


“Miss Hale!” He screamed.


I lifted my head and stretched my arms. Rubbing my eyes I asked, “What?”


His face twisted into rage as if asking me how could I even say that. Why with my mouth of course. When he saw no hint of apology on my face, he began shouting things about discipline and crap like that. I checked my watch. This was gonna go for long and I was so not interested in listening to crap. I picked up my bag and walked out. Yawning, I looked for a place to crash. I needed a place around people, away from the black.


I was still searching when I heard footsteps behind me. I froze not knowing if the voice was real or just in my head. Should I just walk away? I started walking and when the footsteps continued, I walked faster. I had to get away from my nightmare. I had to focus, I had to…


“Dew.” I heard a familiar voice call out. “Wait up.”


 Relieved I stopped and turned to see Sam coming over to me. S**t. So much for skipping the talk about responsibility. I debated whether or not to put my ear plugs on. Then decided he was almost here anyway.


“What happened?”


“Hey Sam. Nice to see you too. What’s up?”


He didn’t reply just raised an eyebrow and waited.


I groaned.


“Didn’t sleep. Tired.”


As if to prove it I yawned. Too bad I never had any dark circles or he would be the one ordering me to sleep. I can’t even imagine how dark they would be. Given I rarely get any sleep.


He waited.


“Forget it Sam. Why do you even care. You’re not my brother you know. No need to look out for me.”


When actually he was. He was the only ‘family’ I had. Knowing my hideous contacts were in place I looked up into his eyes. He looked hurt.


“Hey, I’m here you know. Always. You can tell me anything.”


“I know.”


He waited. I saw a black shape fly him by and at once I was alert. He saw I wasn’t going to say anything more and walked away.


“I can see ghosts.” I whispered.


   


     I went over to the most crowded pace I could find and as soon as they saw me, a spot was cleared. I was known for my dark moods. The girls hated my guts. I could see it in their eyes how they wanted to strangle me. But deep down they were all jealous and in awe of how I could I be so carefree, have any guy I wanted, how I lived my life on my rules, of me being free to do whatever I wished…if only they knew…


The guys looked at me as a cool girl so much like a guy. I was fun and people had crushes on me. I on the other hand was not interested. I just wanted them to think of me as a guy and move on. I wasn’t looking for anyone. PDA or any DA was gross. Sleep wouldn’t come. People didn’t want to bunk every single day. So here I was bored and alone. Huh, alone…I wish…


The bell rang and the crowd dispersed. Crap. Stay around people D. But I was too late. It hit me. To others it might seem like I was just another girl walking down the hallway. But not to me. I wasn’t seeing the hallway in front of my eyes but what I saw was worse, much worse. I was lost and alone in a creepy house. And I was afraid. Something bad was going to happen. I was being stalked. No, I wasn’t the ghost showing me the image was. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, put my shades in place and walked. I’d been blind for most of my life. Not seeing what I was supposed to. Living someone else’s nightmares. So I had developed a sixth sense, being sensitive to my surroundings. Walking on instinct.


But closing my eyes never helped ‘cause they played with my head, making me believe I was trapped and helpless, making me relive their horror when I was safe and in the school. I wasn’t really abandoned and being brutally killed my boyfriend. No, I was just trying to walk down the hallway like any other NORMAL person. I needed control. This was MY brain. They couldn’t play with it. I opened my eyes and tried to focus on my real surroundings. My head was occupied. I tried to get my nerve cells to work. They were mine. I needed their control. I concentrated hard on getting my senses back. I could see something. Desks and students. A large, inviting, unoccupied table. But the disgusting image still played in the back of my mind. One lapse in my focus and I’ll be sightless once again.


“Hey, D.”


“Sit somewhere else.” I replied without looking up. I was irritated. I had my bag under my head, my hood up and was lying down on the seats, trying to get school go by. The teacher came in, looked in my direction, ignored me and went on acknowledging the rest of the class. The black shapes were at bay, looking for even a tiny gap in me so they could break me, torture me. I wasn’t going to let that happen. The grey one was there too. It was always there, almost looking out for me. It was the only one not intent on ruining my life. I remembered the one time I almost ran away. It was there, guiding the way, leading me to Sam, making me live. But it was just another shape, a ghost and it could be ruled out as coincidence but something was familiar about it. Like I had seen it somewhere, maybe in a former life.


   I can’t take it anymore. I’m leaving…but how? I felt the  wind blow and my gaze went over to the window. I can jump, I thought. I looked down. It wasn’t that high. I looked back only to see one of the ghosts flying. Yeah, rejoice…you’re the reason I’m leaving. But this one wasn’t that black that I was used to, it was grey, with a tiny hint of silver in it. It flew down, intent on coming with me. I took my backpack and jumped, I was just eight at that time. I landed on something cold and dead only to see I was on top of the ghost. Holy s**t. I heard a sound of laughter but it was too dark to see who it was. Well the ghost came in handy, at least I wasn’t bruised. The shape flew out and somehow I found myself following it, curious to know where it went. I saw it go over the fence. I went over and saw a cute boy standing there, looking at me. He was smiling. There was mischief in his eyes. Somehow I found myself smiling back at him. “I’ve never seen a girl scale a wall like that,” he said. “Who are you calling a girl,” I replied suddenly in playful mood. “You’re cool. Hi, I’m Sam,” he extended his hand. I took it and replied, “Dew.”


“I’m proud of you D. Whole day of school without a single bunk. That’s a new record.”


I looked up into Sam’s eyes and shrugged.


“No big deal. School is fun.” Yeah it was fun how in five hours I had been hanged, committed suicide, murdered twice and enjoyed rape. This was life.


“Really D, let’s go out. My treat.”


I wanted to say yes but I didn’t want to act normal any longer. I had to scream and shout and hunt. This was another reason why the girls were jealous of me. I had the school’s most popular and hot guy as my best friend. They all thought I was making out with him. Gross. But he was good looking, I could tell. With a muscular build and lovely green eyes. But he was still my brother.


“Sorry Sam. I have to go. Maybe next time.”


“Back home?”


“Yeah, back to hell.”



© 2014 Dark and Mysterious


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very nice :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


i love it, i just can't see the main character that well. I don't have many details on him, but you did a very goodjub on describing rest of the characters. hope to read the nxt chapter. :D

Posted 11 Years Ago


NICE!!! I can't wait to read the next chapter :D

Posted 11 Years Ago


I hope you put the next chapter up!
=)



Posted 11 Years Ago


Interesting. I will keep reading! :D

Posted 11 Years Ago


I really like this; I love Dew and how her character keeps unfurling and I can't wait to read more !

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wow. Drew is very . . . different. It seems as though you put a lot of thought into this. I can't imagine how long this took you. I love it and can't wait for more!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Hmm, Dew is something else. This is neat how you brought us only a bit into Dew's head and showed us what was behind that "Joe cool" mask. I cannot wait for more.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Ooohh. I like this. I can't wait to read more!

Posted 11 Years Ago


"Yeah, back to hell"...
Dew is a very interesting character. She seems to lose focus quite often, never knowing where reality ends and her surreal world begins. That would drive even the strongest person completely insane!
I'm hooked...

Posted 11 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

514 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 28, 2012
Last Updated on March 15, 2014
Tags: ghosts, high school, teen, life, intro


Author

Dark and Mysterious
Dark and Mysterious

Delhi, India



About
wanna know me?? good luck with that ;) more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Drowning Drowning

A Poem by Tai Ryens