Trying To Fit In

Trying To Fit In

A Poem by Dark and Mysterious

Happiness flows

Perfection is seen

‘I’m awesome’ she crows

To the world she’s mean

But they don’t know

What lies inside

Her perfect shows

They’re all a lie

She’s just like the rest of us

Trying to fit in

Trying not to be a fuss

The world she wants to win

But she lost herself

Somewhere along the way

Her life is an empty shelf

With no books to fill

‘Cause when I asked her who she was

 She didn’t know anymore… 

© 2014 Dark and Mysterious


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

There is an interesting facility provided here at WritersCafe.. it is the ability to link an image with the work. Clicking on the image, we see a girl and surroundings in shades of gray; the dress and shoes popping out at the viewer with a brilliant blue hue.

I often wonder if there isn't a subtle message offered up by the author when that choice of image-cum-writing is finally published. An addendum that provides yet another key to unlocking the mysteries of a piece. I'm going to go with that thought for now and fantasize on why the girl in the picture seems to be a part of the background with only form, texture and subtle shading to outline and define her features. Why do only the accouterments draw attention? What is the intention of the attention? Perhaps the answers lie in the lines of the poem. Let's see...

"Happiness flows - Perfection is seen..." ~ Perhaps the happiness and perfection is in reference to the artificial amplification of choices, of appearances that we make as we attempt to present ourselves to the world? A presentation that has at its core the need to love and be loved. How often is it the case that we feel like part of the background, gray, bland, ill-defined and unworthy of notice? We mimic nature and adopt a plumage that, in our minds, may help in the attainment of our most secret inner desires. We "crow" in imitation of those we observe having, seemingly, attained that to which we also aspire.

"Her perfect shows.. They're all a lie." ~ But as is pointed out here, "Her perfect shows.. They're all a lie." Perhaps not so much a lie as a strategy for success gone awry by succumbing to the power of numbers - the directive mass of the herds and flocks of society in which she gallops or flies.

"Her life is an empty shelf.. with no books" ~ The charge of an "empty shelf.. with no books" is somewhat harsh too for it is clear that the protagonist does indeed think; perhaps not with the same motives, goals, or lusts that another might choose but there is intelligent thought at work there none the less.

"I asked her who she was.. She didn't know anymore." ~ Finally, the moment of truth arrives and we begin to perhaps understand the brilliant blue, the S.O.S. signaled by this gray ship, run aground upon gray rock walls. In kindred spirit we ask who is she that now seems lost? The answer is... all of us.

A wonderful poem, D&M! Thought provoking and true to your nom de plume!

-Ufi




Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

wonderfully written enjoyed the read

Posted 10 Years Ago


Something everyone can relate to. I love poetry that I can relate to. Thanks for the powerful read

Posted 10 Years Ago


This is very good; I enjoyed reading it. Keep up the good work!


Posted 10 Years Ago


Your portrayal of the modern world of popularity is excellent! This cycle that society has thrown us into is vicious, now you just need to figure out how to get out!

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is short but it still expresses the troubles a lot of teenagers, especially girls, have these days. They try to fit in but along the way they loose who they really are. I can relate. I'm considered an "outcast" because I don't look/act like other girls in my town. But I tried once. I tried to fit in. I hated it. I felt fake. I felt not like me. I felt like a poser. A lie. This only scratches the surface of what a lot of girls these days go through, but it's still so spot on. Great job.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wow...this makes me think of school and all of the little girls that try so hard to be popular. I also know some guys like this. Great read!

Posted 11 Years Ago


simple yet interesting


Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
K.G
very interesting, i like how at the beginning(to me) she sounded like something, but at the end, she isnt, well done!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Nice! this reminds me of a story i once wrote but never published! but i love how you made this selfish girl seem someone people would relate too! it gives it an air of .....(i forgot the word) anywho its great! :D

Posted 11 Years Ago


losing yourself to please others is so hard not to do, and when you realize what you've become it feels like there is no escaping the guilt.

Posted 11 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

967 Views
31 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 5, 2013
Last Updated on March 15, 2014

Author

Dark and Mysterious
Dark and Mysterious

Delhi, India



About
wanna know me?? good luck with that ;) more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..