Dance My Little Mannequin

Dance My Little Mannequin

A Poem by Beth Elaina
"

This is what happens when I'm feeling angry and sarcastic...for God's sake, people, why does everyone put on such an act?

"

 

Dance my little mannequin
 
Put on a pretty show
 
For all the people watching you
 
The people who don’t know
 
That your lovely, laughing eyes
 
And your pleasant, painted smile
 
Are nothing but a lie you use to feed your own denial
 
 
 
Sing my little paper doll
 
So all the world can hear
 
That pretty, wordless, tuneless dirge
 
You sing to hide the fear
 
That if you cease your senseless song
 
And use a voice that’s real
 
Then they will cease to play along, and learn how you truly feel
 
 
 
Ah, my little marionette
 
So polished and so prim
 
But all that sawdust in your head
 
Has made you rather dim
 
And your baby button nose
 
Has grown to quite a length
 
If you’d stop lying, it wouldn’t grow; but you don’t have the strength.

© 2008 Beth Elaina


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very creative, orginal and full of sad truth. all through life we put on a an act and live until the next performance. It's easier that way, it lets those around us off the hook. I'm sorry, I'm so happy for you, oh I feel bad, they can walk away with just a simple nicety of aknowledgement.

Excellent work, thanks for the entry in to my contest and I wish you the best of luck.

Posted 15 Years Ago


*taps meter on his desk*

Brilliant. A biting, sarcastic, caustic, and utterly deserved indictment of the world we live in. It manages to be so bilious and yet keep a sort of sardonic levity; I chuckle as I am mocked...truly a difficult balance to strike.

My favorite lines, beyond the shadow of a doubt:

Ah, my little marionette

So polished and so prim

But all that sawdust in your head

Has made you rather dim

Bloody perfect, dearie. Now don't you dare stop.

Posted 16 Years Ago


OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH. Beth, this is fantastic poetry, and if you don't submit this to the Promethean next year I'm going to have to throttle you. The meter, the word choice...gods, this is all superb.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ouch. well, If it aint Beth's angry side. well. It's very good. You effectively attack the dress-up mentality of modern society. the images of the mannequin, as the proverbial puppet on the strings, is accurate and... real. you're effect is impressive, even with so few words. the puppet master, though never pointed out, becomes irrelevantly when compared to the puppet. I particularly like the way you were able to pull so many different ideas and images, such as Pinocchio, into it. damn fine work.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It bounces, er, that is to say, it has a precise flowing rhythm which matches up nicely with the point you are trying to convey in the context of the poem. It really portrays your subtle anger.

Keep writing! I look forward to reading more! :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

You are right, modern society is fake and idolises fakeness. It also idolises materialism and beauty over depth and feeling. How long will it be until only beautiful people will become published writers? Celebrity dirges are already easier to publish than the usual genius of real writers. I did love your poem for the way in which you dealt with that subject matter. Creating a dancing mannequin. The mannequin is obviously the plastic idolised form of beauty, or a clone of how we should be, and those telling it to dance are either the sarcastic voices of real people cast out of society or the evil commands of those who perpetuate the fakeness of modern society. Soon i will be launching Poem of the Week 3, please do enter it when the competition is up and running.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

273 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 12, 2008
Last Updated on August 25, 2008

Author

Beth Elaina
Beth Elaina

Portland, OR



About
I've been writing for as long as I have been able hold a pencil and formulate words. But it was only recently that I decided that I really wanted some other people to read my work, because, as flawed.. more..

Writing
Respite Respite

A Poem by Beth Elaina



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Beth Elaina





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5