The Balloon

The Balloon

A Story by LastMonth
"

Openly chasing your dreams is encouraged. So long it doesn't interfere with real life.

"

Even in my earliest memories, I had a balloon in my hand. Everyone did at some point in their lives. Some held it for years. Some for months, and some never really let go.

No one knows exactly when the balloon appear, only that children are born without it, and obtain it at some point.


Dad used to have one too when I was younger. It was big and purple and floated around the house with a long tendril like wire, never actually leaving dad's hand. One day it was gone. I didn't even notice it at first. I woke up one day, when I was about eleven years old, and Dad was sitting on the couch.


''…Hey… Dad.''


He turned to me, a sad glitter in his eyes. Almost as if he knew what I wanted to say.


''..It's fine sweetie. Everything is fine.''


Mom lost her Balloon before I was born. Mom was very young when she and dad got married, and while they'll never say it straight to my face I know she lost her Balloon when she became pregnant.


The thing about Balloons, when you are a child it is considered fine to have one. No one cares how big it is, or how closely you hold it to your heart. The older you get, the less common it becomes.


People still holding on through their twenties are often considered childish and detached from reality. But I don't intend to ever let go of my Balloon. I can't exactly remember when I got it, but it's gorgeous. A bright red, I keep looking it for hours every night, and it makes me feel funny inside, in a good sort of a way. Excited.


Sometimes when no one is looking, during recess or a long lecture at school, I'd sneak a peek in my shiny red balloon and sink into daydreams.

No one quite knows what brings Balloons over, or what makes them go away. When I ask Mom about it she always reacts with a shrug. ''..Just hold onto it as long as you can sweetie. And don't feel bad when it is gone.'' She'd then ruffle my blond locks and change the subject.


Don't get it wrong"Balloons don't just disappear. It doesn't happen so soon for most. Dad's Balloon got smaller and smaller with each passing day, until it was finally gone. I'll never forget that one time when we finally sat down and talked about it.


It was my last day at home before heading off to college. A lot of my friends already lost their balloons at that point, but I didn't care. Some people even stared at me weirdly when I walked around with it.

Dad called me to his room, he said he wanted to talk to me.


As soon as I got in, I noticed that his eyes were glued to the red bubble of oxygen whose wire was coiled around my wrist. ''..You still have that. Don't you sweetheart..?'' I was somewhat baffled. He acted as if he didn't even notice it.

He held my shoulders fairly tight, his fingers dug into my flesh. I knew he didn't mean to hurt me, but the intensity in his voice wasn't lost on me. His entire body fumed with anger and frustration. But none of that was directed at me.


''..People might tell you… That you need to let  go, that you're too old for this. They might tell you that you need to face reality. Whatever you do, don't let go. Don't release it.''

He was crying. I wrapped my arms around him and embraced him tightly as his sobbing ebbed on. I assured him with a bright smile that I'm not going to give up on it. No matter what happens.


I still have my Balloon with me to this day. It's gotten bigger and bigger, and even though I don't look at it as much lately with college, 

work and the relationship taking a lot of my time,I always know it's there.


When people scoff at me, or judge me for still having it, I just smile back at them. 

Sometimes when people can't do something, they will tell you can't either. But I don't mind that one bit. Not as long as I have my Balloon

© 2016 LastMonth


Author's Note

LastMonth
Trying something different.
Being subtle.
I hope you guys like it.
While I do have my meaning for these 'Balloons', I encourage others to find their own.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I think the culture of our society teaches us that "balloon" is a thing for the children and the ones who hold them even after their childhood age, they are simply not over their fake dreams... But is that true? I don't believe that, to live in this world one must keep something for him/her closely otherwise the meaning of life becomes less meaningful... My interpretation of your balloon is that it is a lifelong frnd, it is a thing which is very close to our heart, which is always there with us from the day we have learned to have vision about life in our own ways...

Most people don't have the parents like you have, and I am glad to see that there are people who encourage their child to live the life he dreams of... I can only pray that you don't lose the Balloon... Well done...

A stunning, encouraging and very relatable write...

Sincerely
Dhiman

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Thank you very much. I'm quite grateful for your review, I'll be sure to check out some of your writ.. read more



Reviews

I am very confused are you talking about an Imaginary friend? If that's the case I did have one too until I was 10 years old.

Posted 4 Years Ago


I like such stories in which the reader is supposed to interpret the meaning of the story on his own. Writer gives every clue to the reader and let them relate it to their lives.
Well done, it is a wonderful write with a beautiful ending.
Your story is like a mirror which reflects our childhood dreams and how much we wanted them.
My interpretation of this balloon is our INNER-SELF which we hide from others in order to avoid any unfavorable circumstance because we think others would think of us as "very childish". Many of us try their best to protect this balloon because it protects them when we are hurt....to keep it away from others.
I don't know if my interpretation is okay or not but the story is incredible and amazing to read.


Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Of course the interpretation is okay. It's great. I like it. I'm glad you enjoyed my story, though I.. read more
I find this creative and meaningful. The balloon as metaphor for "eyes of youth" is unique and works well. I, for one, hope to never lose those few remaining bits of the young me. Very good work.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

I hope for that too.
I'm glad you enjoyed it, and it's always refreshing and new to hear of p.. read more
I think the culture of our society teaches us that "balloon" is a thing for the children and the ones who hold them even after their childhood age, they are simply not over their fake dreams... But is that true? I don't believe that, to live in this world one must keep something for him/her closely otherwise the meaning of life becomes less meaningful... My interpretation of your balloon is that it is a lifelong frnd, it is a thing which is very close to our heart, which is always there with us from the day we have learned to have vision about life in our own ways...

Most people don't have the parents like you have, and I am glad to see that there are people who encourage their child to live the life he dreams of... I can only pray that you don't lose the Balloon... Well done...

A stunning, encouraging and very relatable write...

Sincerely
Dhiman

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Thank you very much. I'm quite grateful for your review, I'll be sure to check out some of your writ.. read more
I cried a little in the ending, it is quite a reflective piece you wrote. I have associated the balloon mean 'dream', but I love how you are encouraging others to find their own meaning.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Thank you kindly for the review.
I'm humbled that you found it emotionally touching.
I love it a lot
it makes me want to do things like that


Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Thank you. :)
Cora Jenness-Symes

7 Years Ago

you should read mine
Oh my goodness, I love this story. I started smiling as soon as I read it because it hit home! I'm keeping my balloon forever and nobody can take it away from me. Thank you so much for sharing this story!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

That's good to hear!
It's one of my favorites too.
This a simple & sweet analogy. How life can pass us up quickly. To hold onto our innocence; guard it with everything we got. Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Thanks a bunch for the review. I appreciate it.
This is so moving, with such a rich flow of thought and emotional stirrings. It reminded me in a beautiful way of a French film I saw as a child, Le Ballon rouge (The Red Balloon), about a young boy in Paris with a balloon that follows him and befriends him, though others try and take it from him. Whether the balloon here might refer to our childhood, the imagination of youth, the playful side of a world in the midst of growing up, or something else, you strike a deep chord with your revelations.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Thank you kindly for the review.
I've never heard of that story but it does sound sweet.
read more
An owl on the moon

7 Years Ago

You might just watch a few moments... there is very little dialogue, but you'll feel the emotion of .. read more
I love, LOVE this concept. At first I was confused but then I finally got a hold of it. Balloons.... I see it as dreams. The dreams and ambitions of your future, the hope that you have and who you are. Many give up on their hopes and dreams because of one thing or another. Because well, a lot of people say dreams are childish just as these Balloons are! I fell in love with it's simplicity and it's concept.

Pen ON!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Thanks a bunch Centipedle, I appreciate this.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1094 Views
21 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on May 24, 2016
Last Updated on May 28, 2016
Tags: Dreams

Author

LastMonth
LastMonth

Tiberias, The Southern Galil, Israel



About
I like writing, I suppose. English is not my native tongue, I picked it up at school and mostly improved it through computers. In my early 20's and would appreciate thoughtful and impactful review.. more..

Writing
The Clock The Clock

A Story by LastMonth



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Echoes of You Echoes of You

A Poem by Relic