Reconnaissance

Reconnaissance

A Chapter by LaterBabe
"

Chapter One

"

  One     


              Just breath I told myself silently as I rested my right hand on the mahogany banister. Everyone here is no better than you I told myself as the concierge took my beige and black fur. Undead maybe but no better. For the evening I'd settled on a glittering black long, short cap sleeved vintage chanel dress that pooled in loose waves around my feet I'd swept my hair up in a simple style leaving loose curls of my unruly black hair to frame my face.
"In need of assistance dear sister." My half brother Ash said coming up beside me and laying his hand on my back as we stepped towards the announcer.
I sighed somewhat relieved. "Really Asher you could've told me you were coming."

I whispered as he gave the announcer our names and heads turned as we descended down the cream colored marble stairs. I held my head high refusing to show any of these people weakness. Meeting the gaze of each person who dared look me in the eye with a gentle smile.
"Relax," he whispered turning before me at the bottom of the stairs. "I'm here nothing will happen. You look lovely."

 I smiled at the compliment.
"Lady Gray? Is it Gwenalilth? I didn't know you were married." Victoria the woman of the hour, stated with open arms as she stopped before us. I fought rolling my amethyst eyes and hugged her as she air kissed each cheek. Radiant in a gown of pale gold that dipped low in a V showing more than enough of her cleavage. The dress clung to her body perfectly.

"You look lovely." She said turning to my brother.
"As do you," I said breaking the awkward silence not really caring to share that Asher was my brother, even if only half as we both shared a surprising resemblance to our mothers.
"Pleased to make your acquaintance. Im Asher Gray, Lilith's brother." He said kissing her hand.
"I didn't know you had a brother Lilith you never mentioned him, during your time with us."
"No, no I didn't. If you'll excuse me I'm quiet famished from the ride," I said turning for the open bar not really wanting to get into the subject because before I left the seeth for the covenant I'd been otherwise unaware that I'd had any other family after my mothers passing. It had been Asher who'd found me at the covenant and connected the pieces after identifying a series of gifts no one in the covenant could otherwise explain. I wasn't just a witch I was half fae. He'd done some deeper digging to find out whom I were related but the powers spoke for themselves.
At the bar I order a gin and tonic praying I'd go unnoticed as I slipped from the party out on to the dark terrace. I set on one of the stone benches loving the feel of the cold stone beneath my sweaty palms as I downed my drink. I got up walking out into the garden a bit. It had been my favorite place a maze of sorts, now not so much. It just brought back memories but surely my mother was a woman to be celebrated.
Someone grabbed my elbow pulling me further into the darkness of the maze and I let out a sigh unhappy I'd let myself get so unaware. I broke my captors grip in a swift spin and used my magic to fling a grey orb out of my hand.
I sighed relinquishing the orbs in my hand. Great the last person I wanted to see I thought stepping further away from him. But he just moved closer, invading my personal space until I was pressed firmly into the tall bush.
"So you married ", he said looking more than a bit peeved grey eyes violent swirls of storms brewing. He was even more handsome than I remembered it was breathtaking. I shifted a few feet away from him careful not to lose my wits. He could do that to me, make me forget about everything.
"No. But aren't you about to be." I scoffed stating more than asking. After all this was what this party was for.
"Lill you know..."
"No I don't know Tobias. All I do know is that in 3 months time your marrying Victoria so act like it and just do yourself a favor and go. Which I can say would be more than a courtesy you ever bestowed upon me anyway."
"You know I can't do that. This marriage to Vic is solely for diplomacy. Lill you know that I love."
I laughed. "You have a funny way of showing it Tob.” I wrapped myself in shadow bringing myself some comfort in this madness. It was sad I even had to be here. Knowing what Tobias is to me. Knowing that in this world we could never truly be together. “Congratulations Tob, I’m really happy for you I really am”.
I said turning my back on him as I shifted further into the shadows hiding myself completely.
I winnowed to my fourth floor walk up in Manhattan were I crumpled to the floor, breath seizing in my throat as tremors shook my whole body and for the last time I promised myself I'd find away to break the bonding.
Slowly I stood gathered my wits and shed my evening dress and went straight to bed.
 



© 2022 LaterBabe


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

206 Views
Added on October 26, 2017
Last Updated on July 14, 2022
Tags: Devour, Love, Lust, Fae


Author

LaterBabe
LaterBabe

OK



About
I've always wanted to write and most of the time its fanciful nonsense, sweet nothings about what could have been but never will be, I love chocolate I love sweets. My favorite pass time is reading be.. more..

Writing
I am I am

A Poem by LaterBabe


You You

A Poem by LaterBabe


Is it Me? Is it Me?

A Poem by LaterBabe