Memory's Lost

Memory's Lost

A Story by Laura Monique

Memory’s Lost

 

“ A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails, it’s the little things that count, and can make the biggest difference in someone’s life”

 

Stephanie found herself laying in a hospital bed. As her eyes opened much was blurry as she couldn’t tell where she was, restrained to her bed, she see’s a figure through the corner of her eye. Quickly panicing her mother begins to yell for help.

“Help, Help, shes waken up!” she screamed at the top of her lungs, while that must not have helped Stephanie because she was already in a panic. She began squirming, and wouldn’t sit still. Finally a nurse entered. She placed her hand down on Stephs, and asked her a couple of simple questions.

“Do you know your name?” Her tone of voice was almost relaxing, and it calmed Steph just a little bit. She looked around the room, and huge light that was lifted above her head was shining brightly into her eyes, the walls seemed faint, and she was light headed. It smelled like metal, and she didn’t like it.

“No—no” she continued.

“Who are you, and why is she screaming, where am I? Why am I here” The nurse got a very disappointed look on her face. She was almost sorry things were turning out the way they were for Steph. She pulled Stephanie’s mom aside and told her that the accident had damanged her brain, and there was a small possabilty that memory would return. The chances of her having to learn everything all over again was very high.

Her mom’s eyes fluttered in tears, she didn’t know what more to do. She had already lost her husband. All she had was her daughter. She couldn’t forgive herself. She was just so tired. Over—and over in her head she told her self how could she drive so sleepy. They were on their way for their once a year family vacation, and she had to destroy it. She was blaming herself.

“ I—as long as I can keep her alive, and healthy fine. Just please make her atleast remember me” She began to cry. Tears streamed from her face. A nurse brought a chair for her to sit in, and she broke down the nurse hugged her sympathetically.

Later that day Stephanie’s best friend Kayla came in. They had known eachother since they where about three –and a half years old. So Kayla was like another daughter to Stephs mom. She was worried, they were like sisters, as a matter of fact they were sisters.

“How—is she” Quickly giving Juila a hug.

“Horrible—and its all my fault, I had to drive while I was tired. God knows what I did.” She was still crying, but trying very hard to hide it. She had to be strong.

“No, its not your fault, you just wanted to go on a family vacation with your family. Please don’t blame yourself.”  Kayla took a step into the room where Steph was staying. She had fallen back asleep, the nurse had to give her a shot to calm her down, and they could talk more when she would wake up.

Kayla was one for praying, and she knew it would be okay, deep down something felt okay, but she  was still a little bit worried about the outcome. She was hoping more than ever that her best friend would remember her. After the nurse had explained everything to her Kayla was more in shock than anything.

Steph began to move again, and her eyes slowly opened. She saw her friend sitting there but had no clue as to who she was.

“Who are you? “ She asked.

“Kayla”  she replied.

“Where do I know you from?” she put her hand slightly on her head, and alittle over her eye trying to get a better view of this unknown girl sitting by her bed side.

“We’ve known eachother our whole life, You’re my sister,  my best friend” Kayla’s eye’s began to water up. She tried to put her hand on Stephs, and Steph pulled away quickly.

“Please don’t touch me” She was angry.

“ I’m sorry” She replied.

Steph was not acting like herself. Kayla started remembering all the fun times they had together, and couldn’t believe that she had to forget, and lose all those memories. Those were quite special, and they had so much in common.  As Steph fell back asleep Kayla went back in with a tape recorder, and a song that Steph and her would listen to daily. “Don’t worry bout’ a thing”

She played it everyday for weeks. She thought maybe—just maybe she would remember something. She told her stories,and fun times they had together. Only while she was sleeping. When steph was up she didn’t want anyone in the room she just wanted to be left alone. Until she was up and running the nurses took those demands, and listend to them.

One evening Kayla had played their song. She began telling her about the time they had went up to the Canyon on one of their family trips. Attempting to remind Kayla what a wreck she was. Steph had made her come along because she was so down. She helped so much.

“ Now its my turn to help you get through this” She put her layed her head down on her arms and closed her eyes. She prayed hard. Begging for a miracle. She whispered to herself. Stephs Mom joined her at, and at that moment they both looked at eachother, and they wanted to give up. The song finished, and in the heat of the moment. Steph said a couple words that changed their emotions forever.

“Don’t worry bout a thing” She smiled, and in a stuttered voice began talking.

“Mom? Kayla ? I love you guys” She was awake.

“Oh my gosh” They both exclaimed shocked for life. The nurses ran in and gave news that Steph would be just fine in a couple of days.  They stayed at the hospital for about a week, and Steph was ready to go home. They talked about what had happened. Of course Steph was struggling over the death of her dad. But she had her mom, and her best friend to help her through it. Anything is possible when you have amazing people in your life.

In life it’s the little things that count and can make a difference. Maybe—it was that song, maybe it was the memories Kayla talked about. But the little ways she showed Steph she cared must have made  a difference. God had his hand on Stephs shoulders the whole time. He was just waiting for the perfect most touching moment to leave his miracle.

       “Memory can fail, but a best friend is there to remind you of the good times, and postive things”

 

“No matter how serious the trial, how deep the distress, how great the affliction, God will never desert us. He never has and He never will. He cannot do it. It is not his character to do so. He is an unchangeable being; the same yesterday, the same today; and he will be the same throughout the eternal ages to come. We have found that God. We have made him our friend, by obeying his gosepel; and he will stand by us. We may pass through the fiery furnace; we may pass through deep waters; but we shall not be consumed nor overwhelmed. We shall emerge from all these trials and difficulties the better and purer for them, if we only trust in our God and keep his commandments. “
--George Q. Cannon

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2008 Laura Monique


Author's Note

Laura Monique
ignore grammer :p

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
Added on July 15, 2008

Author

Laura Monique
Laura Monique

UT, LV, L.A, N.Y, UT



About
Laura Monique, I've been writing for about 2 years now-- Well okay, since I could hold up a pencil but you know what i mean. Trying to actually write stories and all. : ) Basically I do it for me, and.. more..

Writing
New New

A Story by Laura Monique