Evanescence

Evanescence

A Story by Lauren Slavin
"

Evanescence: The event of fading and gradually vanishing from sight e.g. " The evanescence of the morning mist

"

Elvira hurried through the dense forest, darkness lapping her ankles as she stumbled over prominent roots. Her wings would not function and failed to carry her beyond the realm of the demons. Nettles tugged at her scarlet cloak as she ran and she could hear her name being whispered in the wind but she would not give into darkness. It was what had claimed the lives and souls of her parents. She hurried on, head down and breathing shallow. An owl hooted in the distance, making her jump. Or was it an owl? Elvira wasn't entirely sure: the demons, sons of the dark could take any form they wished... The problem was, Elvira couldn't quite keep her mouth shut, and often spoke out against the sons of Darkness, the demons who ran her district. This time was the last time, and she knew she probably wouldn't survive the torturous punishment the demons would gleefully enforce. This is why she ran, putting as much distance between herself and the demons as possible. However she didn't get far. As she was quickening her pace, she stumbled into a trap and fell headfirst into a pit. A demon trap. She was certain that her final hours will be spent in this trap. There is no way she would survive this.

Hours Elvira sat there, shivering. Mist curled around her and darkness swallowed her up. Not even the moonlight could penetrate the thick cluster of trees 50 feet above her. The sound of a demonic screech pierced the air, making Elvira flinch and curl into a fetal position. This is it now. Just as she heard footsteps approaching, a voice called her name. An unfamiliar voice that made the hairs on her arms stand up. A beautiful, melodic voice that filed her heart. She new this was her calling: This was her time to go. She knew that any place was better then this demon run hell.

"Come, Elvira" The voice repeated. Elvira, weakened from the fall, greeted death with open arms. She was sick of running, sick of doing the demon's bidding. She just wished to be reunited with her parents once more. Without any warning, a light headed feeling came over Elvira and all sense was lost as her mind slowly faded from reality, condemning her into a dream like state in which she slowly faded from existence. Elvira's body was still there, but just as an empty shell. She was now whole again.

© 2013 Lauren Slavin


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

161 Views
Added on December 17, 2013
Last Updated on December 17, 2013
Tags: evanescence, short story, mystery, gothic

Author

Lauren Slavin
Lauren Slavin

Newhaven, South East, United Kingdom



Writing
Lago Lago

A Story by Lauren Slavin